Fluorosis of teeth: what it is and how to treat?
A large number of people who have fluorosis of the teeth, are interested in questions: what is it and how to treat this disease? Fluorosis – the disease of the tooth enamel where the teeth are covered with spots of white, brown and other colors.
The main cause of the disease is considered to be a long entry to human body fluorine, often along with drinking water, at what this disease can develop as the teething, and after.
Stop for any more details:
- Drinking water is the main cause of fluorosis, with them in the human body gets a large amount of fluorine. Of course, in different regions of the planet water is composed of different amounts of this substance, hence the population of a region at different be at risk. Fluoride, of course, contains not only drinking water but also in the products and tools to care for teeth (e.g. in toothpastes), why, then, is the water most contributes to this disease? The fact that the absorption of fluoride by the body from drinking water is much faster and more effective than other products.
- Professional activities — some industrial plants, because of their specifications, the air can be saturated with fluorine compounds, and people who work in such conditions will suffer from fluorosis, even if the composition of drinking water in their region will not contribute to this.
- Products containing fluoride is the constant consumption of seafood, black and green tea, red wine, etc., can also lead to the emergence of the disease. This happens very rarely (fluorine-containing products should be consumed in very large quantities) or to have a predisposition of the organism to the problem.
- Drugs with high amounts of fluoride — if you’ve ever taken a long course of treatment with this tool, you may show symptoms of fluorosis.
In the early stages of caries in a patient can also experience similar symptoms. Stain caries are quite difficult to distinguish from dental, because it does not vary in shape and color.
Not to be confused with fluorosis and tooth decay need to know two distinctive features:
- fluorosis is manifested from the time of eruption of the tooth;
- tooth decay does not happen multiple, in contrast to fluorosis, which stains may appear on the same tooth in different amounts.
- another symptom is characterized by white or brown spots on enamel, but the color of the spots will be only in the case of the endemic form of the disease. However, if there is fluorosis professional type, these spots are very often absent, there will be observed a significant fragility of enamel and erase it.
- more serious and rare symptoms can be poor mobility of the joints, skeletal lesions, bone pain. Can have a violation in activities of the nervous system and internal organs (e.g., liver).
To determine the disease symptoms in the early stages is not too difficult.
Forms of dental fluorosis
Mainly classification of fluorosis occurs at the origin:
- endemic — caused by the accumulation in the body of fluorine by the intake of poor quality drinking water. Its distinctive color and spots may appear on the tooth before its eruption;
- professional — caused by prolonged stay of the person in conditions when the air has a large amount of fluoride.
More details on the types of fluorosis are distributed in the form of the disease:
- Stravina is characterized by the appearance of «dashes» — malovydne strips on the enamel, depending on the individual case features can be as well visible or almost invisible. Manifests itself on the upper jaw and is striking the front teeth.
- Spotted — unlike the bar, spotted form can be located on the entire surface of the teeth, it manifests itself as multiple spots, and one large. Can affect all teeth, often suffer cutters. The affected area of the tooth can change color from white to brown, while the surface stains on the enamel will Shine and glow.
- Malovydne-speckled surface of the affected tooth acquires a light matte shade, it affects all the teeth equally, not only the incisors, contributes to a very fast abrasion of the tooth surface. The enamel becomes yellow, it appear small spots.
- Destructive — occurs when the fluoride in the body exceeds the norm, there is a powerful collapse of the tooth enamel that often chips.
- Erosive is being eroded tooth enamel, before getting the dark-brown color, in this case also the fragility of the teeth, multiple chipped. Often patients complain of pretty severe pain when eating.
The last two forms of fluorosis occur with the loss of dental tissues, they deform the tooth, can cause pain. In such cases, you must consult the dentist who put the correct diagnosis and recommend a comprehensive course of treatment.
The exact occurrence of dental fluorosis remain unknown, despite the numerous studies carried out by the dentists around the world. Most experts believe that fluoride adversely affects the germ of the tooth, causing its irregular formation.
Will not give in to doubt claims about regional tendencies of the population to fluorosis because of the characteristic composition of the water in that particular region, but the dose of fluoride causes a disease, as it turned out, for each individual. Valid the rate of 1.5 milligrams per liter of water.
Thus, the etiology of the disease is primarily linked to the quality of drinking water and region of residence of patients. For some, 1.5 milligrams per litre is the norm, but for others – familygram fluorine for the same volume of water can cause problems with enamel. Such feature experts tend to explain the climatic conditions of our planet.
How to treat fluorosis?
Depending on the stage of the disease using various methods of treatment. Integrated their application will significantly increase the chances of complete freedom from illness and partly to prevent its occurrence in the future. Is to provide the following forms of treatment:
- remineralization of tooth surfaces — if the disease is in a complicated form, is the restoration of a tooth at the dentist. These procedures are performed using artificial material (of various dental cements);
- in the initial stages of the disease can be effective the whitening process, it can be performed using a special toothpaste and at the dentist. But this method will give the desired result only if you have Stravina or spotted form of fluorosis. The cost of this procedure for one or several teeth is not too high (from 14,000 rubles). Special pastes should be used with caution, no more than two times a day – before bed and in the morning;
- in the initial stages can help replace drinking water with lots of fluoride in the water, where this element is much less. If you can not change the drinking water, you can put on the taps special filters;
- the reduction in the fluorine-containing diet products will help with strigoides and spotted form of the disease. We should not abandon them completely, but the number of marine fish, bacon, black and green tea has significantly decrease. This actually ends the possibility of treatment of fluorosis at home.
It should be noted that in the process of dental bleaching teeth affected with fluorosis used acid (e.g., hydrochloric). The patient’s tooth is dried, after which it is applied acid solution, and after 2 minutes, washed with water and dried. After a few days the procedure must be repeated, with the only difference that now the acid should be handled only those parts of the problem tooth, which has darkened. These courses must be repeated regularly 2 times a year, since a problem of this nature tends to repeat itself.
Fluorosis in children
Experts believe that children are most at risk of the disease fluorosis, as in childhood teeth are in the final stages of formation and metabolism in the body suffers from constant failures, then a large dose of fluoride will immediately affect the child’s teeth.
Important! Fluoride entering the body of the child, promotes the excretion of calcium. Thus, the teeth just appear, have become very fragile, prone to chipping and other dangerous problems.
The presence of water with lots of fluoride does not mean that children will develop fluorosis, as it depends on characteristics of the organism of the child, children with a strong immune system is much less susceptible to such diseases.
Treatment of fluorosis – the process is long and messy, besides, if you once had this problem, she can pester you again and again, so it’s important for the health of the oral cavity remains prevention.
Must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Do not consume large quantities of water if it contains fluoride. Replace her water with normal indices of the substance (1.5 mg/liter), if this is not possible it is necessary to put the faucet a special filter.
- To revise the ration for the content of fluorine. If you eat too much seafood, black and green tea, of fat, you should decrease them in your menu.
- Follow the composition of toothpastes, as they include fluoride, and although it is very poorly absorbed while brushing your teeth, but can still contribute to the onset of the disease.
- Visit the dentist regularly. An experienced specialist will be able to determine if the risk of the disease fluorosis or other diseases of the oral cavity.
Such measures will help prevent the disease or allow it to evolve to a more severe form. Approach to the prevention needs comprehensively, and to adhere to all these points.
Video: about the fluorosis in the program «Live healthy» Elena malyshevoy
► Is it possible to do whitening at fluorosis?
Whitening is recommended when the disease is in the initial stages, over several visits, the doctor will bleach the teeth. These procedures should be done about 2 times a year.
► Code for ICD
According to the International classification of diseases fluorosis is a code К00.3 (Mottled teeth).
► What toothpaste to use when fluorosis?
You should use toothpaste that does not contain fluorine and have a bleaching effect. But regular brushing this toothpaste can give at least some effect only in the case if the disease is in the initial stages.