Gingivitis in children symptoms and treatment: how to treat gingivitis in children
Gingivitis is a disease in which the inflamed gums. This occurs by reason of a decrease in immune defenses. You should understand how to manifest gingivitis in children what are the symptoms and treatment need to conduct.
Gingivitis in children can lead to the development of more serious diseases, because the body is weakened. You want to fix the root cause of the disease, so therapy must be comprehensive.
The causes of gingivitis in children
Gingivitis may appear in the adult and the child. Most often the disease occurs in women during pregnancy, in children in the period of their intensive growth. If gingivitis is not cured on time it can lead to periodontitis and loss of teeth.
Children often do not comply with the necessary hygiene in the oral cavity resulting in dental plaque. This leads to the development of gingivitis, but if within one month to fulfil hygienic requirements, symptoms of disease will be eliminated.
The main reasons include:
- the weakening of immune protection;
- a violation of hormonal background;
- lack of vitamins;
- the growth of the teeth;
- heart disease;
- the liver;
- malfunctions of the digestive system;
- the metabolic disorders;
- the development of diabetes, tuberculosis, rheumatism, nephropathy and other diseases of the body;
- infection of the oral cavity and the development of dysbiosis;
- taking certain medicines;
- the wearing of braces;
- the mouth breathing that dries the mucosa;
- poorly installed seal;
- dryness of the mucosa due to the fact that saliva is produced in full (the development of xerostomia);
- mechanical damage to the gums;
- deformation and anomalies of the teeth;
- food between the teeth;
- chemical poisoning and radiation.
Once gingivitis in children can manifest, you must immediately consult a doctor for medical help. A timely and comprehensive treatment to avoid serious consequences.
The main symptoms of the disease
Symptoms depend on the form of gingivitis and its manifestations in children. There are several common features. So, when gingivitis:
- gums turn red and swell;
- bleeding by mechanical action on them;
- there is an unpleasant smell from a mouth;
- plaque is formed in large quantity.
There are the following forms of gingivitis:
Catarrhal gingivitis is manifested in such symptoms as pain when chewing food, while brushing your teeth. Bleeding gums, mouth unpleasant smells. This form of the disease is most common.
With necrotic tissue umertvljajut gingivitis, ulcers on the gums are covered with gray-green patina, for this reason, there is an unpleasant smell.
Ulcerative form of the disease occurs in the absence of treatment of catarrhal gingivitis. On the gums ulcers, they acquire cyanotic hue, swollen and bleeding when pressed.
Atrophic form is the gum shrinks, the neck of the tooth becomes bare (in some cases, and laid bare the root of a tooth). There is pain upon contact with hot and cold.
When hypertrophic gingivitis, the gums swell, closing a part of the tooth. Pain and bleeding may not be for a long time.
Gingivitis in a child may occur in any form. Can occur acutely and be chronic. In chronic gingivitis, the symptoms are less pronounced, often entailing serious consequences. Sometimes the overgrown tissue of the gum is removed using surgical method. Can suffer bone.
Methods of treatment of gingivitis
Gingivitis is a rather unpleasant disease, which topical issue is the question than to cure disease?
Treatment of gingivitis in children is conducted by the dentist. He will be able to establish a form of the disease and will provide the necessary assistance.
Basic manipulation with gingivitis, the following:
- the removal of plaque;
- anti-inflammatory therapy;
- the reorganization of the oral cavity.
The removal of plaque
To remove plaque, there are various tools:
- pneumatic and ultrasonic scaler.
Also used chemicals, grind and Polish the enamel with a special brush. These methods do not cause unpleasant sensations in catarrhal and hypertrophic form of the disease, so they do not need to fear.
But in the case of ulcerative and necrotic gingivitis pain will occur. So without anesthesia is not necessary. The first step to get rid of fabrics that are numb, and then proceed to the cleansing of dental plaque.
It is important to follow a sequence – first, remove plaque, then removed the inflammation. The first procedure, the second will not be too effective. The inflammatory process may some time to subside, but then due to the accumulation of plaque will develop again.
Also to treat gingivitis in children without removal of dental plaque is impractical because it can lead to the following complications:
- increased symptoms – bleeding, swelling, pain of the gums. This is due to the fact that the main cause of the disease, namely the accumulation of germs, not removed.
- the development of periodontitis – this occurs in the transition of acute to chronic gingivitis
- loss of teeth – the development of periodontitis.
Once the plaque is removed, it is necessary to conduct anti-inflammatory therapy. This used antimicrobials.
As an anti-inflammatory therapy applied rinse application of antibacterial compounds. Most of the rinsing and treatment of the oral cavity often use:
- decoction of medicinal herbs (chamomile, St. John’s wort, sage, calendula);
- a solution of baking soda;
- potassium permanganate;
- the resorcinol.
In addition to solutions using special gels and ointments, which relieve inflammation of the gums. Ointment less effective unlike gel which can penetrate into the deepest layers of tissue. Most popular among the dentists use the following tools:
- Metrogyl Denta;
- Gingivitis gel;
In addition to anti-inflammatory ointments and gels are used with gingivitis painkillers. Among them are:
- The dentinox;
Contraindications associated with childhood, no. Gel or ointment with your finger or a cotton swab lubricate the inflamed areas of the gums. Applied twice a day course in two weeks. When treatment gum complete, you should refrain from food and water, not to remove the medicine.
In advanced cases when application of the described tools have been ineffective, requires a more powerful anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics. To get rid of gingivitis completely, you need to cure related disease and strengthen the immune system. For this purpose are assigned to the vitamin complexes and immunomodulators.
To quickly restore the epithelium, it is advisable to apply the funds to agent action:
- vitamin E;
- vitamin a;
- rosehip oil;
- sea buckthorn oil;
Gingivitis in children – a serious disease, and its treatment is lengthy. It requires not only a visit to the dentist, but the therapy at home.
The sanitation of the oral cavity
Without rehabilitation to cure gingivitis will not work. That includes the notion of rehabilitation? This, above all, freedom from caries in the oral cavity. All teeth should be filled or removed.
If the teeth are in poor condition, the method of silvering. Teeth are covered with a special compound based on silver, which kills germs and stops their further destruction.
The final stage of treatment is selection of effective toothpaste and brushes, as well as learning proper teeth brushing. Doctor will show basic techniques that will help to carry out daily oral hygiene. A toothbrush needs to be soft not to injure once again inflamed gums.
Solid food can also damage fabric, so at the time of treatment is better to use liquid and semi-liquid foods. The temperature of the food should be neither cold nor hot.
Traditional methods of treatment
There are also traditional recipes, which often very effective for inflammation of the gums:
- you can rinse your mouth with a strong brew of black tea. The tea has good anti-inflammatory effect;
- useful for gum and aloe juice, which heals tissue and removes plaque;
- the infusion of the fruit of the bilberry reduces inflammation;
- oak bark is also very effective with gingivitis. Should be three times a day, rinse your mouth with this decoction;
- natural oil-based St. John’s wort and other medicinal herbs. This means cook at home. This will take dry grass and vegetable oil. The oil and herb mix, bring to the boil and infuse. Then oil is smeared damaged areas in the mouth.
All these traditional methods of treatment of gingivitis in children can alleviate the condition, but not a substitute for therapy. Therefore, they are used in combination with essential drugs. Definitely need to visit the dentist, or there will be serious consequences.
Primary prevention of gingivitis and other oral diseases is the regular visit to the dental office. The attending doctor will examine the teeth and gums of the child, treated caries, to conduct sanitation. If necessary, remove plaque, cleanse the stone. It is important to choose the right toothpaste. There are a large number of children’s toothpastes. There are also special, they are composed of substances which have a strong effect on the microbes.
- Teeth that can’t be cured, must be time to leave to avoid the spread of infection in the mouth. Also need to correct a malocclusion, which can lead to inflammation of the gums.
- In addition, parents must accustom the child to oral hygiene. The teeth should be brushed regularly, twice a day. After meal mouth rinse that was not food residue. You should regularly use dental floss to remove stuck between the teeth are pieces of food.
- The diet should include fresh vegetables and fruits that not only contain a large number of useful for the child’s body of vitamins, but also able to clean the teeth. Especially good for this purpose apples.
- Need to minimize the consumption of sweets that promote tooth decay. Harmful to teeth toffee that can even remove teeth fillings.
The child learns from adults, so in order to better remember the rules of hygiene it should show on own example. It is important to monitor the health of your teeth and gums not only the child but also an adult. Teeth are easier to maintain than to recover. It is important to always remember that.