Gums bleed when brushing your teeth: treatment, causes
To deal with the fact that gums bleed when brushing your teeth can everyone. The treatment of this manifestation depends on the cause of the appearance of the symptom, indicating that in the oral cavity is not okay.
Bleeding gums is not an independent disease, therefore, before getting rid of it should consult a periodontist. The specialist will identify the source of the problem and offer effective treatment.
Why gums bleed when brushing teeth?
There are many reasons leading to the emergence of bleeding in the oral cavity in hygiene:
- incorrect cleaning of teeth, the neglect of equipment cleaning and the use of brushes with hard bristles can injure the gums that lead to bleeding;
- low level of care for the oral cavity if the processing time of the enamel surface is insufficient, does not exceed a minute, it increases the probability of leaving a plaque, which gradually mineralized and turned to stone, putting pressure on the gums;
- the use of medicines – there are medicines, the reception of which contributes to thinning the blood. Most popular the drug – acetylsalicylic acid after discontinuation of treatment with this remedy, the side effects disappear;
- dental inflammatory processes – gingivitis, periodontitis and stomatitis, affecting soft tissues, violates the metabolic processes in them, which leads to bleeding;
- internal diseases – diabetes, lupus, hemophilia and rheumatoid arthritis violate hemocirculation what happen bleeding;
- improper diet – insufficient consumption of vitamin C, PP, E manifests with fragility of blood vessels;
- change of hormonal background of organism reorganization during pregnancy, together with the neglect of care for the oral cavity by brushing and flossing, has a negative impact on the condition of the gums;
- low quality seals and prosthetic overhanging the edges of the restorations, burrs, sharp edges crowns and bridges cause permanent mechanical damage to soft tissues of the oral cavity.
Related articles: how to care for your teeth and mouth and how to brush your teeth?
What to do if you are bleeding gums when brushing your teeth?
If the patient noticed that he had bleeding gums, you should visit a periodontist and not self-treatment, because it is just a symptom that speaks of a possible violation not only of a dental nature, but also internal.
Prior to the elimination of the disease should carry out a full diagnosis.
- Visual inspection.
- Instrumental examination, including determination of the degree of destruction of the periodontal probe.
- X-ray picture that shows the status of the intraosseous structures.
- Bacteriological culture if necessary antibiotics.
When the doctor found the reason for the isolation of blood from the gums, it is an individual treatment plan, which usually includes administration of antibacterial drugs, irrigation of the oral cavity and local application of medicines.
How to stop the bleeding?
When he suddenly starts bleeding from gums, stop it. For these purposes, use:
- hydrogen peroxide – soaked cotton turunda is applied for 20-40 seconds on the problem area;
- cold – an ice cube wrapped in gauze and placed on the bleeding gums.
When the cause of gingival bleeding is inflammation, the appropriate use of medicines, whose action is directed against him.
- Metrogyl Denta.
These funds are applied in a thin layer on injured area for 10-15 minutes, during which you should abstain from food and drink. Medication only removes the redness, stop the bleeding, but to numb the gums.
Besides complete reorganization of the mouth, periodontists are advised not to neglect daily care of teeth and gums, and perform it with extreme care:
- clean the mouth every day morning and evening with a brush and toothpaste, which will reduce the amount of plaque on teeth and bacterial contamination level;
- after a meal rinse mouth with water;
- regularly use dental floss for treatment of interdental contacts, because these spaces can not be clear without his assistance.
- eat hard vegetables and fruits – they provide mechanical cleansing of the enamel and enrich the body with vitamins;
- be sure to brush your tongue;
- get an oral irrigator – this device improves the quality of care of the oral cavity.
- contact your dentist for inspection 2-3 times per year.
After consulting paradontologa allowed the treatment at home folk methods, if permitted by the doctor.
- broth of oak bark – dry substance, pour boiling water, let stand for 2-3 hours, then rinse the gums as needed;
- carrot juice – rich in vitamin a, E, K, and therefore has a positive effect on blood vessels;
- sage infusion – 5 g of powdered collection to put in fireproof dish, cover with water and bring to boil. After the tool will stand up within an hour, strain and perform oral baths 4-5 times a day;
- aloe leaf – remove the protective film from the fleshy part of the plant and chew 10-15 minutes. The procedure is repeated 3-4 times a day;
- a decoction of chamomile and calendula – known folk remedy that helps to eliminate inflammation in the oral cavity. Equal parts of herbs pour a glass kipyatkov and rinse your mouth morning and evening during the week;
- onion juice and Kalanchoe – a ground-sheet offset with onions, the resulting mush apply to the gums for 10 minutes daily.
Toothpastes and mouth rinses
The use of health care resources to care for the oral cavity allows for faster and more efficient to cope with the illness, provided a comprehensive approach to the therapy of bleeding gums:
- Splat toothpaste for teeth, consisting of extracts of Scutellaria and spirulina, thanks to them it has anti-inflammatory and antihemorrhagic action;
- Lacalut Active – agent containing extracts of plants, as well as lactate aluminum, having a quick effect on bleeding areas;
- Parodontax specialized toothpaste designed for people who have problems with the soft tissues of the oral cavity. Has a distinctive salty taste due to the included herbal ingredients.
Rinses can be purchased the same firms that listed and paste. When choosing, pay attention to the composition: it is necessary the presence of phytocomponents healing, and should not include alcohol, so as not to cause irritation in the problem area.
When using a special care, teeth and gums, particularly of vegetable and containing antimicrobial substances, it should be remembered that these pastes are not suitable for a regular cleaning, because bacteria become resistant to the active composition, after which it ceases to apply to them.
To avoid the effect of habituation, medicinal and prophylactic gels and rinses are used for 3-4 weeks, after which the tool should be replaced with hygienic.
Video: about bleeding gums and other problems when brushing your teeth in the program «Live healthy» Elena malyshevoy.
Regardless of the reasons leading to the occurrence of bleeding, you should follow a healthy diet aimed at maintaining the body and includes the following products and vitamins.
- Vitamin C – high content of this component is struggling with inflammatory phenomena and improves the body’s resistance to infection. It a lot found in the gooseberry, kiwi, citrus fruits, sauerkraut, cranberries, parsley, currants and spinach.
- The b vitamins strengthen the gum tissue and reduce the likelihood of traumatic ulcerations. Stocks of the substance can be replenished by eating apples, garlic, green onions, eggs, beef and mutton.
- Nicotinic acid – increases the resistance of blood vessels to damage. The vitamin in the buckwheat, beans, beets, liver, and pineapples.
- Vitamin E – accelerates the regeneration of wounds. This substance is rich in dairy products, cod, corn, sunflower and butter, lettuce.
- Vitamin K – protects gums from bleeding. Its amount is high in spinach, avocado, rosehips, bananas, cabbage and pumpkin.