Herpes stomatitis treatment in children
Herpetic stomatitis in children is among the most common diseases of the oral cavity. The disease is common among all ages of people, but most of all they suffer children from 6 months to 3 years of age.
Ways of infection
Herpetic stomatitis – a disease infectious nature, which is the causative agent the herpes simplex virus type (HSV-1).
The main ways of infection:
- during pregnancy in the womb;
- in the process of natural childbirth;
- airborne droplets, such as coughing and sneezing;
- household waste, for example through the objects of daily use.
Once ingested, the pathogen aktiviziruyutsya and multiplies in the epithelial cells and lymph nodes. This process is accompanied by characteristic symptoms.
The causes of the disease
Herpetic stomatitis in children and recurrences are provoked by the following factors:
- a weak immune system;
- aggravation of existing chronic diseases;
- injury of lip and oral cavity;
- the influence of cold and high temperature;
- wrong hygienic care for the oral cavity;
- the lack of vitamins and unbalanced nutrition;
- contact with sick infected with herpes;
- the presence of HSV-1 in the mother’s body during pregnancy.
Herpetic stomatitis in its development passes through several successive stages: incubation period, prodromal, catarrhal, extinction of the disease and the recovery period. The incubation period for children lasts from 2 days to 3 weeks.
Initial signs of the disease:
- weakness and malaise;
- burning sensation in the mouth;
- active salivation;
- the increase in body temperature;
- unpleasant smell from the mouth;
- the increase in submandibular lymph nodes.
Children grudnichkovye age the symptoms of the disease manifested by the refusal of sucking, refusal to drink, poor sleep, crying, fever, intestinal colic. If you do not take appropriate measures, there may be dehydration.
If you do not take action at the first sign of the disease in a few days the mucous membrane of the mouth appear painful and itchy rash that spreads to the lips, language, cheeks and nose wings.
Depending on the characteristics of the flow of isolated acute herpetic stomatitis and recurrent. The first kind appears suddenly, develops rapidly and has pronounced symptoms of the disease. In the absence or incorrect treatment of acute herpetic stomatitis becomes chronic.
According to the severity of herpetic stomatitis is divided into mild (3-4 days), moderate (1-2 weeks) and severe (more than 2 weeks).
Symptoms of mild forms of herpetic stomatitis in children:
- the child is tired and whiny;
- a slight increase in temperature;
- inflammation and redness of the gums, swelling of the mucosa of the oral cavity;
- the appearance of painful vesicles and ulcers in the mouth in small quantities;
- swollen lymph nodes.
Signs of moderate forms of the disease:
- the rise in body temperature to 39 degrees;
- a marked deterioration of the General condition of the child;
- enlarged lymph nodes;
- the appearance of inflammatory lesions in the mucosa of the mouth, swelling of the gums;
- bubble rash, localized on the mucous membranes of the mouth, gums, tongue, cheeks, lips and okolorotova region.
The severe form is determined by:
- the increase in body temperature to a maximum value;
- health severe, accompanied by nausea, vomiting and severe headache;
- the presence of strong symptoms of intoxication;
- violation of cardiac rhythm and blood pressure;
- inflammation of the cervical and submandibular lymph nodes;
- bubble rash in large amounts, accompanied by severe pain and spread to the area around the mouth, conjunctiva, eyelids, wings of the nose.
Diagnosis of the disease
Herpetic stomatitis in a child diagnosed by a pediatrician or dentist. The diagnosis is based on interviews with the patient, the overall clinical picture, the results of cytological, virological and serological studies.
To determine the causative agent herpetic stomatitis in a child apply the methods of immunofluorescence (RIF) and polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Serological identifitsirovany antibody titer of the virus is performed using enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) and a reaction of binding complement (RAC).
Treatment of herpetic stomatitis in children prescribed by your doctor. The speed of cure and the effect depends on when they started therapy, and immune status of the child.
In mild course of disease the treatment is done in outpatient form, in other cases, and in children under three years of age often require hospitalization. Child must have shown bed rest and plenty of fluids. You can eat warm, frayed food, non-irritating to the oral cavity. Cutlery and items of personal hygiene of the patient must be for personal use.
To treat herpetic stomatitis it is necessary to comprehensively, with focus on the period of the disease and the degree of manifested symptoms.
Treatment of herpetic stomatitis in the acute form the child is to reduce pain, prevent re-infection and increase the healing rate of lesions.
For the treatment of herpetic stomatitis in children is used:
- the anti-viral drugs;
- means of antimicrobial direction;
- funds that have wound-healing action;
- drugs to strengthen the immune system.
Initially the affected area is treated with antiseptic agent. In the role there may be antiseptic rivanol or furatsilina. The use of these funds in the treatment does not cause discomfort to the child. To treat the lesions is necessary every three hours.
Rinse tools are used, have a direct effect on the herpes virus. In this disease, the appropriate use of this drug as perfectly. Babies, not able to rinse your mouth, treat the mucous membranes of the oral cavity with a bandage soaked in a solution, or spray the cavity with lesions with a special sprayer attached to the medical drug.
At the end of processing of the oral cavity with antiseptic use antiviral and pain ointment local actions, such as oksolinova ointment 0.5%, ointment, bonaftonovaya, interferonov ointment 50%. For the rapid healing of ulcers and restoration of the mucous membrane of the mouth use special creams and aerosols, such as Coughing, Problems or Tantum Verde.
In the absence of a quick and timely referral to a specialist is recommended to apply the ointments with a local anesthetic (Holisal, Kalgel, Dentinox).
An important place in the complex therapy of herpetic stomatitis in a child belongs to antiviral drugs. Commonly used antiviral agents in a gel form and tablets. The most effective drug is the Acyclovir and tools based on it (Zovirax, Vivorax, Herperax). Acyclovir has an inhibitory effect on the synthesis of virus within cells infected with herpes. The highest efficiency is observed at the primary disease herpetic stomatitis the initial stage.
Also a great therapeutic effect have tools such as Valacyclovir, Penciclovir, Famciclovir, Hanover.
External use of antivirals is effective in small pockets of inflammation. The best treatment is considered medication in the form of tablets inside.
In that case, if the child’s body temperature rises to 38 degrees and above we recommend the use of fever-reducing medications. Panadol, Efferalgan and Set will not only help to lower the temperature, but also be numb.
Obligatory component of complex therapy of herpetic stomatitis is the stimulation of the immune system. The most common immunomodulator for children is Viferon. It also has antiviral effect and is approved for treatment of children of any age. Part of the Interferon includes interferon prevents the replication of the virus at any stage of the disease, as well as accelerating and increasing the effectiveness of other drugs. In addition to Interferon, immunomodulatory properties are Immudon, Galavit, Immunal, Gepon, Amiksin.
You must know that immunomodulators should be used only in the acute form. The uncontrolled and unwarranted use of these drugs may have a negative effect on the formation of the natural immune system.
If you are using adequate treatment of the primary infection of herpetic stomatitis is quick. Baby 10 days later fully recovers. If timely help is not provided on time, the disease can learn some complication, for example, herpetic keratoconjunctivitis.
In any case, from self-treatment should be abandoned. How to treat herpes stomatitis in a child and the cure, solves a doctor.
Treatment of folk remedies
Folk remedies for the treatment of herpes simplex stomatitis are very popular. These methods are not to replace therapy with antivirals. They act only as a Supplement to the main complex of treatment. To accept such funds, children are allowed only after the doctor appointment.
The most popular methods:
- A decoction of calendula flowers. You need 1 tablespoon of flowers pour 1 Cup boiling water. Boil 10 minutes on low heat covered with a lid. Infuse one hour and strain. The decoction is suitable for rinsing and irrigation of the oral cavity, and also for applications in lesions with vesicles and erosions.
- Sea buckthorn oil and rosehip oil. Oil reduces pain, inflammation, reduce irritation and help the speedy recovery and healing. At the stage of recovery it is recommended to lubricate the affected areas, or applied in the form of applications a few times a day.
- A decoction of chamomile. Pour 4 tablespoons of chamomile flowers in 1.5 liters of water and boil for 5-10 minutes. After that, to insist 1 hour and strain. This decoction is recommended in herpetic stomatitis several times a day in the form of irrigation or rinsing of the affected areas of the shell of the mouth. Chamomile has a healing effect and has anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect.
- The soda solution. 1 dessert spoon of soda add to a Cup of boiled water and stir. Effectively at the initial stage of herpetic stomatitis. Soda solution mouth rinse or irrigate the inflammation 3-4 times a day. Kids wipe the mouth with a bandage wrapped around a finger and dampened with the solution. It is worth remembering that soda dry mucous.
- The pulp of aloe leaves. Plant helps to remove the inflammation and prevent the development of infections of bacterial nature, and promotes rapid tissue repair. Used applikatorom a few times a day. The duration of each procedure is 15-20 minutes.
- Juice of Kalanchoe. The liquid of this plant are used for pain relief. Method of application similar to the previous one.
- When is herpes stomatitis can lubricate the oral mucosa natural honey. But it is worth considering that he is a strong allergic product.
- A decoction of oak. 2 tablespoons of chopped oak bark, pour a glass of boiling water. Liquid, to insist to cool under a lid and filter. Oak decoction to wash the affected areas every 4 hours. The duration of treatment 4-5 days.
- The peeled potatoes in the form of cheese to RUB on a fine grater, wrap in cheesecloth and apply to mucous areas affected by herpes stomatitis.
- The juice of a lemon. Moisten a cotton swab or a piece of bandage in freshly squeezed lemon juice and gently wipe the affected areas.
- 1 tablet of ascorbic acid to dissolve in warm water and wipe the mouth.
Herpetic stomatitis in children can be prevented. For this you must follow these rules:
- The carriers of the virus should take all measures to protect others (the wearing of gauze bandage, do not touch wounds and ulcers, hand hygiene, do not kiss the child).
- Maintaining the immune system.
- Good hygiene of the oral cavity.
- Timely treatment of injuries of the oral mucosa and all chronic diseases.
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- Complete and balanced nutrition.
- Reception of complex vitamins in the period of colds.
- Noticed the first signs of herpes stomatitis – immediately contact your doctor.
- To avoid exacerbation of the disease in the future, you should regularly to show the child the dentist.
Timely identified the symptoms and treatment carried out accordingly, allows to cure the disease without consequences for the health of the child.