Herpetic (herpetic) stomatitis in adults and children
Herpetic (herpetic) stomatitis – a disease that often affects both children and adults. In order to effectively treat it you need to know about the cause, specific symptoms, and prevention.
All of this information is in the article: you will learn about the classification of the disease, you will see photos that will help you to timely detect the disease and start treatment.
Herpes or herpetic stomatitis is an infectious disease provoked by the virus of the common cold sores. It is approximately the same frequency affects all age groups, but in children is most common.
The extent of the disease due to the fact that it is transmitted by droplet infection, in children, the initial infection almost always caused by weakening of the immune system. The result of a weak immune system becomes chronic form of the disease.
► In age from six months to three years the virus affects 4 out of 5 kids.
Many parents do not pay much attention to a child symptoms, believing that it will disappear on their own and will not bring complications. In fact, disregard the first signs contributes to the development of the disease in the form of recurrent treatment which will give much more trouble and discomfort.
Why does herpes stomatitis? The main reason at any age is the herpes virus. As mentioned above, development in the body contributes to low levels of immunity. The incubation period of the virus also depends on the protective capacity of the immune system, most often it is 1-2 weeks, but this period may depend on various factors.
Infection — the cause of the disease on the mucous membranes of the oral cavity: the tongue, on the palate, in the throat.
It should be noted that the etiology is unknown, scientists know the infection is due to eating with shared dishes, through the use of General hygiene products. Children become infected with herpes sores, while playing common toys or directly contacting each other.
► The virus affects not only the mouth ulcers appear on the mucous membrane of the nose, eyes, genitals.
Video: what is acute herpetic stomatitis?
There are several types of herpetic stomatitis, which differ according to the type and complexity of treatment:
- Acute — occurs in the primary contact with the virus in the body, which often occurs in childhood. It is divided into three stages depending on the complexity of course:
- easy stage — typical for people with strong immune systems, the only symptom is the appearance of vesicles on the oral mucosa, a few days after they disappear;
- the middle stage is characterized by the occurrence of multiple ulcers, healing of which is a long time. The patient often suffers from high temperatures (up to 38 degrees);
- severe form is rare, but is accompanied by severe malaise, a significant increase in temperature, pains in the joints. In the mouth there is a large number of ulcers, which very long time to heal and recur if the patient is not time to provide medical care, the disease becomes a permanent form.
- Chronic — develops in the context of a weak immunity and lack of appropriate treatment. Permanent injury to the gums, palate, tongue and other chronic diseases of the oral cavity, contribute to the emergence of chronic forms. Canker sores appear in large numbers and lead to the formation of painful erosions.
- Recurrent — a characteristic feature of this form there is only one symptom: the advent of the care quality provided to the mouth sores.
Herpetic stomatitis manifests itself in a number of characteristics:
- increase cervical and submandibular lymph nodes;
- an increase in temperature and General weakness of the body, in children may be sudden changes in temperature (from 37 to 40) that are associated with a weak immune system;
- in the early stages of care quality provided to the sores have not show up, but the mucous membrane of the mouth looks reddened and irritated;
- the characteristic bubbles of small size the mucous membrane found at 1-2 the second day of the active phase of the disease. After 2-3 day on the spot broken bubbles formed ulcers, which heal for 4-5 days. If the patient has a strong immune system, they can heal and after 3-4 days;
- discomfort during eating, and sometimes this process virtually impossible. Especially hard these problems stand the kids who want to eat, but due to stomatitis not able to do it;
- sometimes sores appear not only in the mucosa but also the skin around the lips — in this case, just need to speed up the healing process of ulcers with drugs and doctor’s recommendations;
- a special danger of disease brings patients to HIV or diabetes and requires immediate treatment in hospital to avoid complications.
Treatment of herpetic stomatitis
Than to cure disease? The following main tools:
- The antivirals — if the adults are no particular contraindications, the children of such funds are given only after consultation with a doctor. This also applies to all other drugs: antibiotics, immunomodulatory, antihistamines.
- Adults and children are commonly recommend the use of folk remedies for rinsing the oral cavity affected with stomatitis. Suitable for this purpose the decoction of chamomile, which have great antiseptic properties. Also for healing ulcers using flax oil and sea-buckthorn, aloe juice.
- Because of the increased salivary flow caused by the disease, patients suffer from dehydration, so the doctors recommended during treatment to drink plenty of water or other liquid that will help to keep energy in the body and contribute to a rapid recovery.
Upon detection of an adult of symptoms herpes stomatitis is recommended to go to the dentist. He will diagnose accurately determine the appearance and form of disease, prescribe treatment.
You also need to adhere to the following guidelines:
- the patient must provide a separate dishes, to ensure that other family members had no contact with his belongings in the period of the disease;
- for the treatment of adults to use antibiotics of local action;
- ulcers carefully treat with antiseptics. Dentists suggest to use and bonafton tebrofenovuyu ointment, solution Lugol a wide range of antiallergic and antipyretic drugs;
- if the disease has moved into the acute or chronic stages, doctors recommend the use of complex immunostimulatory drugs, vitamin supplements;
- at constant recurrence Antiherpes suggest to carry out vaccination, but it cannot be done during the acute period of the disease.
The appearance of the disease in children, doctors strongly recommend to immediately seek the assistance of the dentist. He appoints a number of appropriate formulations for children of a particular age, but if the disease is very difficult, the child may even be hospitalized.
How many will last the treatment of herpetic stomatitis in children? In about 5-10 days, but the process depends on the immune status of the baby. All the time required to monitor the condition of the oral cavity of the child to use various tools.
To combat the disease in childhood is recommended to use oxolinic ointment and interferonov, or you can use traditional methods, they too can be effective. Here are a few recipes:
- A decoction of chamomile flowers — take a tablespoon of crushed chamomile flowers and pour a glass of water, simmer for 15 minutes. The decoction cool and apply to the affected area with a cotton swab.
- Potato on a small grater, grate some potatoes and apply to the affected area on the sores a couple of minutes. Make sure that the baby did not swallow it.
- Flax oil or rose hips, soak a tampon or cotton swab in the remedy and treat them herpes sores.
More complex drugs are used only after consulting a doctor. So, to reduce fever, give the child Panadol, but only when it rose above 38 degrees. The antiviral drug Acyclovir taken every 4 hours at the dosage described by the doctor, and if the child suffers from a severe form, the drug is administered intravenously in the hospital.
To combat the disease is also used Immunal, Imudon, Amiksin, which have an immunostimulating action. For quick healing of ulcers are advised to use an Ointment or Coughing. The most common treatment for herpes sores remains furatsilin, it is relatively safe, but at the same time effective.
Video: about stomatitis in a child in the program «Dr. Komarovsky’s School»
A strong immune system is the main obstacle to the emergence of herpetic stomatitis, and that adults and children should conduct a healthy way of life.
- regularly visit a dental office for examination of the oral cavity;
- ditch unhealthy habits (Smoking, drinking alcohol, popping in the mouth foreign objects);
- eat foods with lots of vitamins (especially in autumn and spring);
- do not allow presence of chronic diseases of the mouth and injuries.
Adhering to these simple prevention measures, you reduce the risk of disease, but completely eliminate the possibility of infection is not worth it, because you still have a chance to be in the ranks of patients due to severe herpes virus.
► The difference from herpes stomatitis aphthous
The difference between these two types is that canker appears sporadic Atami and herpes – group bubbles.
Related article: the treatment of aphthous stomatitis.
► Code for ICD-10
According to the International classification of diseases herpetic stomatitis is held under the code K12.0 «Recurrent aphthae of the oral cavity»
► What to do during pregnancy?
As soon as possible to go to the dentist and pass a comprehensive examination of the body, then the doctor will prescribe you a suitable treatment.
► Contagious, transmitted?
Yes, it is extremely contagious. Spread by airborne droplets or through direct contact between infected and healthy person.