How long do dental implants take root
Like root dental implants? This question is quite often asked the dentist, but the answer may depend on many circumstances. Features of the human body and the professionalism of the doctor significantly affect the time it runs this process. After implantation it is important to keep all under the watchful control, preventing complications, and at the first sign of rejection to go to the doctor.
What is an implant
Dental implants (implants) are artificial construct that is implanted into the bone tissue on the upper or on the lower jaw for anchoring dentures. The whole process is called prosthesis and aims to restore lost teeth. The main objective of implants, performance of a root of an artificial tooth, i.e. to become for him a reliable and stable basis.
Implants can vary in design, shape and used material. Structurally allocated 2 types:
- Collapsible implants are multi-component systems. These include the implant and the substructure in the form of a specific add-in (formation of gums, abutment, etc.). This design can be installed in one — or two-step mechanism. In the latter case, the implant is completely inside the gum and closes with a soft cloth so that direct contact with the oral cavity. The second stage is mounted the necessary substructure.
- The implant is a non-separable type has a monolithic structure and is implanted in a single step.
The division of the form implies the possibility of installation tapered, laminar and combined implants. The most popular among dentists has a tapered shape that mimics the natural root of the tooth. Implants may be cylindrical or conical. In addition, they can have a simple design and complicated (aggressive) with branching and deep runners.
An important characteristic of the dental implant is the material from which it is made. The most widespread finds the use of titanium alloys. Often inside the bone is implanted pure titanium (VT 1-0).
Widely used titanium-aluminium-vanadium alloy. To improve the aesthetics of appearance implants can be made of Zirconia, but its use limits the complexity of processing the material in the oral cavity. Lately, increased focus on new biocompatible materials. Of the modern options we can note titanium-zirconium alloy type Roxolid, as well as some developments based on nanotechnology.
What should be the implant
The restoration of teeth using implants is to ensure full functioning. Naturally, they have to meet high requirements:
- Adaptability at the stage of work of the dentist. The material must be easily processed by standard dental tools (cutters, screwdrivers, etc.). The intractability of it lengthens the operation time, that is a lot of inconvenience to the patient, but also complicates the procedure giving the optimal form.
- The successful survival rate of dental implants. Modern systems have to settle in with a probability no lower than 95-96% at any individual characteristics of the organism.
- The preservation of their properties for a long time, especially in terms of mechanical strength.
- Ease of use: the absence of unpleasant sensations in humans, the influence of taste perception of food, changes of external parameters under the influence of food ingredients, etc.
- Elimination of the influence of the procedure of prosthetics on your face shape, ie the absence of deformation and of different visible defects of the jaws.
- Providing aesthetic appearance of the mouth.
Problems of survival
Any item that is implanted in the tissue of the human body, they are reflexive recognizes a foreign body and the immune system takes action on rejection it. In this regard, the engraftment of the implants is imperative for the prosthesis. Implant survives only in case if the body does not recognize it as the dangerous «stranger». That is why as the materials are inert substances that do not cause rejection reactions. Biocompatibility is the main characteristic quality of the implant.
How long survives an implant? If the process goes without complications, engraftment of the implant in the upper jaw usually takes a period of 55-60 days, and the lower jaw can take up to 3 months.
The modern technological techniques used in specialized clinics that allow some to reduce the specified term. The likelihood that the implants have taken root, reaches 97-98%. The question of how much survives implanted elements should be considered for periods of prosthetics and operation of prostheses.
In dental practice distinguishes 3 main periods in which there may be rejection of the implant teeth:
- Short-term stages: covers the period from the end of the implantation of the implant until the final prosthesis.
- Medium stage: it lasts for up to 2-2. 5 years after the completion of prosthesis.
- Long-term phase: it starts after 2 years of stay of the implant in the oral cavity and continues until 5-6 years after installation of the denture.
At each stage the mechanism of rejection is different, and measures are taken in accordance with the way the implants take root.
The initial period of rehabilitation
In the short term the implant survives depending on the quality of the performed operation. During this period of his rejection manifested by such symptoms:
- noticeable trudnootdelyaemoy bleeding;
- inflammation and swelling of the gums around the implant;
- strong pain that is not amenable to relief pain pills.
It is important to know that within 1-2. 5 hours after implantation slight bleeding, gum swelling and aching pain without implant rejection. These symptoms are caused by the process of villemonte foreign body. If symptoms are intense or is felt for longer, it can be suspected that the implants got infected.
Short-term rejection was mainly due to medical incompetence or poor implant. This result can bring such errors to the dentist:
- The use of substandard tools and technology violation. Quite common this error: processing starts with the cutter in case of insufficient cooling of the dental Lodge that leads to the transformation of bone into fibrous tissue under the action of overheating.
- Violation of antiseptic treatment is called improper disinfection of an instrument.
- A delegation of the procedure to an inexperienced assistants.
- Violations of the medical scheme. One example: failure to rinse the mouth with a special solution or lack of consistency in this matter.
- Insufficient knowledge of the patient’s condition, including operation in the presence of contraindications and the tendency to allergic reactions to the substances applied.
One of the possible causes of implant rejection in the short term could be the use of substandard products. A good implant is quite expensive, but because unscrupulous dentist can use a cheap substitute. In this case, the titanium alloy may react chemically during the meal, and the migration of atoms of titanium can cause fibrosis of tissues.
If at the initial stage of the pathology caused, as a rule, the actions of the doctor, that still is extremely rare, in the medium term, the rejection can be caused by a variety of circumstances related to the characteristics of the organism and negligence of the patient. During this period the rejection is recorded most frequently, due to the fact that the problems of the implant is added the survival rate of the denture.
At mid-point stands out for many reasons, the main ones are the following:
|The material behavior of the implant.||The problem results in wrong choice of the implant material and of the denture. Under the action of oxidation it can start to crumble and fall apart after a few months after the end of the prosthesis. The destruction can also cause defects in the structure. When you properly grip the implant and substructure gradually manifested their separation from each other.|
|Local overload.||Note that the implant virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth, and therefore, can manifest the same problems. The ingress of solid items when chewing (stones, metal particles, bone) or very frequent chewing of solid food leads to the destruction of prostheses, and accumulation in cracks of various microorganisms leads to inflammatory reactions of the gums, which in turn can cause implant failure.|
|Violation of hygienic rules.||After the prosthesis the patient receives advice on specific care for the oral cavity. If these rules are violated, then it begins the harmful effects on the implant.|
|Bad habits.||The most distinguished overly active Smoking. Cigarette smoke causes oxygen deficiency in the gums, which affects the survival inplant.|
Within 2 years after the installation of dental prostheses medical errors and poor quality materials should occur, and because rejection of the implant in the long term is associated with the life of the patient and condition of his body. The rejection may be improper care of oral cavity, bad habits, different diseases.
Symptoms arising problems are such signs: bleeding in the area of the implant, pain, swelling, loosening of the denture. At the first signs it is necessary to visit the dentist because advanced stage will inevitably lead to an inflammatory process in the gums and loss of the implant.
Violates the survival of dental implants can result in the following pathology:
- Disease of a systemic nature. Almost always the rejection of the prosthesis is fixed in diseases of the immune system (HIV infection, lupus erythematosus) and diabetes mellitus type 1. The problem of survival can be detected with hypertension and cancer, not only in the acute stage, but also during remission. Not accustomed implant and the presence of hematogenous pathologies: leukemia, hemophilia, thalassemia, hemolytic anemia.
- Allergic reactions. In rare cases, but still detected by the idiosyncrasy of the human body in contact with titanium or other alloy elements. In such cases, the real alternative is the use of zirconium oxide.
- Problems with mucous membranes in the mouth: aphthous stomatitis is a chronic, relapsing type; pemphigus; Sjogren’s syndrome;
- Endocrine diseases associated with dysfunction of the pituitary, adrenal. In addition, the survival rate of the implants affected by acute course of hyperthyroidism.
- Neurogenic disorders: psychoses of various types, neurosis, paranoia, schizophrenia.
- Bone pathologies: osteoporosis, osteonecrosis, dysplasia.
In addition to the various pathologies noted the deterioration of the survival of the use of certain drugs. The researchers emphasize the negative role of such funds: antidepressants and heartburn.
Modern implants are able to serve 25-30 years. To ensure the ability to timely exclude the damaging effects of endogenous and exogenous factors, a periodic monitoring of the status of prostheses. It is a timely visit to the dentist and the preventive measures. After the prosthesis is a mandatory medical examination after 30 days after 3 and 7 months. The expert determines the quality of the implant in, the absence of inflammatory reactions and oral health.
In subsequent years, the inspection is provided 1 time per year. In this case the expert should undertake the following procedure:
- x-rays of the site of implantation of the implant with assessment of the degree of implantation and bone density;
- checking the occlusion and articulation;
- evaluation of wear fillings, crowns and other locking devices;
- the study of the General condition of the teeth and mouth;
- additional advice on caring for the implant.
Proper hygiene of the oral cavity after prosthetics helps to ensure the survival of the implant. At home cleaning oral hygiene is a must event from taking into account the recommendations of the dentist. Consider the following nuances:
- Right choice of toothbrush. Should not be applied too hard variety, can damage the denture. It is recommended to use a brush of medium hardness, which ensure effective cleaning and safe.
- Toothpaste. Currently, the range of pasta is huge, so their choice must be confirmed by doctor-prosthetist. For someone will be recommended gels and for others a creamy paste.
- Dental floss. Its application is recommended for thorough cleaning of the spaces between the teeth.
- Proper cleaning of the entire oral cavity. It is necessary to clean not only the teeth but also the inner surface of the cheeks and tongue.
- The use of mouthwash. Such compositions contain ingredients that can effectively deal with various pathogens. Rinsing the mouth is recommended after each meal and before bedtime. In the presence of bleeding gums you should use special conditioners that eliminate bleeding.
Dental implants are effective replacements for lost teeth. Modern systems have a very high probability of engraftment, but in order to avoid rejection, it is necessary to eliminate factors that can cause problems.