How not to be afraid of the dentist and to overcome the fear of dental treatment?
How not to be afraid of the dentist and to overcome the fear of dental treatment? This question worries every tenth person on earth. Almost all people are afraid of visiting the doctor. Some are stronger than others, but adults and children are not always able to overcome his fear.
Tell about why and when such experiences occur, what intensity they can be and more importantly how to deal with them, psychological advice and the actions of the dentist in this direction.
What a crippling dental phobia?
Fear is different. For some people it is moderate and the person itself is the rational one is able to overcome him, to appease and control. Others reach their feelings to these panic attacks and even fainting from the thought that you need to go to the doctor.
Such fear of scientists are called in different ways – crippling dental phobia, odontofobiya or somatotopy. All different names for the same phenomenon, when people for some reason terrified of the dentist and any of his manipulations.
To help to overcome fear may the psychologist, the physician or patient, to convince myself of the necessity and rationality of the treatment. First you need to understand the type and intensity of fear, and how it is expected the manipulations it applies.
Learned enough details involved in the study of fear of doctors and dentists in particular. And they came to the conclusion that it is possible to allocate three types of such fear:
- Congenital – may apply not only to the specialist in the teeth, but also to all physicians at the same time, and at the sight of blood and so This phobia is quite rare and is often associated with abnormalities during pregnancy, high sensitivity and metabolic disturbances.
- Acquired – the most common form of fear and there clearly can be traced to the unsuccessful experience of the patient in the previous visit to the dental clinic.
- Imaginary – to get rid of it easier with the right actions of the doctor. Can occur at any age and is usually associated with a complete lack of personal experience with dentists and all other doctors. But in this case, there is a very strong inspired by fear from the stories of other people about their challenges in dentistry.
If we talk about the latest version of fear, it can manifest these signs:
- A panic alarm.
- Muscle tension.
- The refusal even to communicate and to consult a doctor desired profile.
- Inability to control actions.
- Severe headaches.
- Disorders of the heart and circulation, possible arrhythmia, tachycardia, increase pressure, etc.
- Various problems of the gastrointestinal tract upset, vomiting, colic for no particular reason.
- Unfounded dilated pupils.
- In some cases the person may even lose consciousness or in lightheadedness.
- The feeling of helplessness and powerlessness.
- Excessive sweating.
And the list goes on. Because the psychological panic attack can affect human health in a variety of variations. And if earlier such patients just no one was taken to treat, today doctors are trying to help everyone, even when the person refuses dental treatment because of fear.
The causes of the disease
If you feel the first signs of this fear, try to prevent its escalation, because bringing the body to this phobia, it will be much harder to get rid of. By itself, the tooth will not stop hurting, and sooner or later the doctor will have. And the sooner you do, the easier it will be the whole procedure.
To help yourself understand where this fear and how to get rid of it, you need to clearly determine why it arose. This can be of the following common explanations:
- Previous negative experience of dental treatment. Perhaps the doctor was incompetent and did sloppy action, if not used outdated tools or forget about such details as the anesthesia. Next time after a difficult and scary procedure, the person does not want to repeat it again.
- Fear that the dentist will blame the patient in advanced teeth, neglected their health and in every way it can easily. For some censure may be more terrible and humiliating than the procedure itself treatment.
- If the gestation and birth of a child showed the violation of production of hormones such as serotonin and norepinephrine, all his life he will be too anxious to refer to any unusual procedures that cause pain or discomfort.
- Low pain threshold, hypersensitivity or disease of mental character also affect the availability of such fear.
- Numerous stories of relatives, friends, neighbors, news stories from childhood form the child’s overwhelming fear of the dental chair.
- The uncertainty of what will the doctor do, how will it affect dental health, strange names and new technologies can alert the person. It is much easier when you know what will happen and what the implications of this.
- There are times when fear is just an aesthetic problem. For example, a woman hesitate to visit a male doctor and sitting in front of him almost without makeup and in a ridiculous pose with his mouth open. In this case, the phobia is not from the manipulations and treated fairly easy – just find a female dentist and establish a friendly contact.
- In the case of fears of pregnant women who have dental treatment at this delicate period, there may be a fear that any procedure, especially medications and anesthesia will hurt the baby. In fact, today’s medicine is able to offer patients safe enough in that respect medicines that can be used during pregnancy. Much more dangerous – to launch dental disease and to ignore them. Because the infection can spread rapidly throughout the body and harm the future baby.
How to stop being afraid of the dentist?
What to do if you are afraid to go to the dentist? Doctors suggest numerous ways to overcome the fear. One of them is to understand the problem itself. Decide what it is and how much you fear in this respect. For example, we can compose the following list that lists the basic dental procedures, and opposite each is a number from 1 to 4, denoting a level of fear.
While 1 – «not afraid», 2 – «moderate», 3 – «greatly afraid of dental treatment» and 4 «extremely scared».
|Option fear||The intensity|
|To give you a shot in the gums||3|
|Insert the implants||4|
|To remove the nerve||4|
|To pull a tooth||3|
|To remove the wisdom tooth||4|
|To treat the front of the unit||1|
|To remove the cyst||3|
|To clean plaque and calculus||1|
Before you start to deal with the problem, should calm down and in detail write down all the fears that you care about this issue. Quite clearly will appreciate how terrible each of the procedures.
Think in detail about the options of fear, their origin, reason and logic. In fact, maybe you yourself will realize that there is nothing wrong or still need to wait, until the intervention of the doctor, but to prevent more serious problems.
Psychologists give the following advice to those patients who are in the process of dealing with his fear:
- Consider that the longer you ignore a tooth problem, the more serious the consequences can wait. Treatment could not be avoided anyway, but in your power to make it on time and with the least discomfort.
- If it is impossible to self-soothe your own you can seek help from a psychologist, who will choose the right technique and will help to overcome the phobia.
- You know that today in dental clinics equipment is chosen sufficiently effective, and doctors there are many different medications and painkillers. Now the procedure is less unpleasant and scary than it ever was before. It is important to choose a clinic and an experienced doctor, who will be the most accurate. Read patient testimonials and will choose the best.
- Before you apply for direct treatment of the tooth you can just come for a consultation to the dentist. Talk to him about his problem, about the fear, ask what will happen and what the procedure of manipulation will make a doctor. Having established personal contact you can cope with most of the fear.
- Today there is a large selection of dental offices, private and public, where it is possible to feel here relate to patients. If you feel the kindness, see the smiles of the staff, you feel a pleasant atmosphere, you can tune in a safe way.
In the most extreme case, when all the tips don’t help and control your fear there is no strength, you can resort to the extreme option of fighting with a phobia – sedation. This is a special procedure that is carried out with the aim of maximizing soothe the terrible man before his manipulation.
When you do this, immerse the patient in a shallow sleep, similar to the full anesthesia, but a slightly different condition. As a result, people almost do not feel pain even after the medications may forget about what happened in the doctor’s office.
In addition to the efforts of the patient are important and the actions of the dentist, which should be aimed at establishing contact with even the most difficult and sensitive people:
- The inclusion of light music or soothing sounds of nature create a relaxing and pleasant atmosphere in the office.
- The presence of the screen or video goggles to distract the patient from the terrible doom with film, cartoon or some compelling images.
- Quiet talk, a manifestation of personal interest in the man has a calming effect.
- When dealing dispense criticism and moralizing, this will only strain and increase bad feelings and without that frightened the patient.
- Have on hand sedatives common actions or anesthesia for the most difficult cases.
How to help your child?
More often with questions of fear are found in pediatric dentistry, because kids are afraid of manipulation, without exception, even the most innocuous. And even more they are afraid of doctors. To understand what the doctor in front of him and what he will do, the child is not yet able to. Experience of vaccination, taking of blood or treatment with injections of a child provokes further fear of a man in a white coat.
At the age of two years may see the need to see a doctor, but the child is afraid to treat teeth. To control your emotions he is unable and very much depends on the behavior of the parents and the doctor this time.
The reasons for children’s fears may not be only the experience of injections and the fear of upcoming pain, but also stories that he heard at home from parents or other relatives. Children also quickly alert when adults show that there is something unusual, ask the child not to be afraid and behave quite hard. This situation indicates that there will be something unpleasant.
What you can do doctors and parents?
- Initially, you need to treat going to the doctor like a normal and natural process. Teach your child what to watch teeth since childhood. Do not exaggerate the seriousness of the manipulations, which will be conducted in the office.
- First contact your dentist for kid is very important. You need to establish a friendly rapport, and show your kindness.
- The doctor may conduct a easy tour of the office and tell me what tools and what is used, why it is important dental treatment and how to maintain their health for years to come.
- Young patients to distract a cartoon or any other gaming moments in the process of treatment or in front of him.
- If anticipated some unpleasant procedure, it is better to do anesthesia. It is desirable to use not injection, and the other available equivalent.
Video: how to stop being afraid of the dentist?
Facts about dentophobia
To help reduce unwarranted fear, tell you about interesting facts that are associated with certain mythical beliefs about teeth treatment:
- The fear of undergoing dental work during pregnancy. That’s a pretty common fear, but it is not correct. On the contrary, because in the mouth there is a constant source of infection it can lead to further problems in fetal development and even influence the progress of labor. Therefore it is so important to get dental treatment, preferably before pregnancy. But if this moment was lost, at this time, you can also use the services of a dentist and is completely safe for the unborn child with drugs.
- Fear of injection, which is made to numb the pain of the process. Some patients fear this procedure, far more expecting that the shot would be very unpleasant and kind of needles can lead to fainting. Today dentists use quite small doses of high-quality and effective drugs. Some of them are available to introduce in some other alternative form, if you ask your doctor about this. After applying anesthesia, the pain will not be felt completely, even with the most serious interventions.
- The fear when you remove the nerve. Previously, this procedure was performed without anesthesia and many remember her as an incredibly painful. Today, this issue has been resolved completely and no doctor will not allow for such manipulation without local anesthesia. More importantly, from the patient’s nerve, if not eliminated in time, it could trigger more serious problems in the oral cavity, to treat that will have much longer.
- Caution before bleaching procedures. Modern office whitening methods have unclear names. But everyone knows that they use strong chemicals and I am afraid that they can damage the enamel. In fact, if you conduct this procedure in a good clinic that cares about its reputation and uses only high-quality modern medicines and tools, absolutely nothing to fear.
- The drill – the main enemy of the patient to the dentist. Many still remember what they were recently – noisy, bulky, and some doctors did not treat them very carefully. Fortunately, times have changed, and now the apparatus for treatment of cavities is much gentler and work in quieter times. In addition to the drill, there are other alternative ways to treat tooth decay and cleaning the cavity, which eliminated any pain.
- Forthcoming procedure of prosthetics or worse implantation introduces a number of patients in a semiconscious state. But the use of modern anesthetic completely eliminate any unpleasant feelings during the process of installation. And the healing period is also accompanied by the medications are safe for the body, but are able to relieve pain of any intensity. After the installation of implants it is not felt in the jaw, and their use will delight you for many years.
- Only 2% of people did not visit dentist even once in life.
- It was estimated that every tenth patient is experiencing fear of the chair Zabnica. And most often, it is women.
- A good dental treatment in childhood can prevent most of these phobias in adulthood.
- The weak effect of painkillers may be due to a strong fear of the patient, and other medications such groups or even alcohol.
Fear of the dentist and any procedures performed in this study, a fairly common phenomenon. With him facing every dentist and almost all the inhabitants of the planet. Most importantly, do not start this problem, and try to fight it yourself or with the help of experts.