How to avoid bad breath: prevention
Great value in communicating with others has the appearance of a person. In this companion, without knowing it, draws attention to any detail – as hairstyles, clothes, shoes, and even then, if people clean their hands. However, to significantly reduce favorable impression can such an annoying trifle, as the presence of unpleasant mouth odor. If during a conversation a person will feel the stench emanating from the mouth of his interlocutor, he will instinctively try to pull away and quickly end the conversation. What is the cause of this phenomenon and how to prevent its occurrence?
The overall presentation
A few years ago at an international conference in Chicago, which was attended by representatives of various medical industries – dentists, psychologists, therapists and others – were considered a problem of bad breath. In medicine this phenomenon is denoted by a special term – halitosis. The conference discussed the main causes and formulated the basic principles of its prevention.
After numerous reports of the experts agreed that more than 90% of cases the cause of the halitosis serve the anaerobic bacteria present in the plaque covering the surface of the tongue, cheeks and teeth. These microorganisms in the course of their life emit various sulfur-containing compounds such as hydrogen sulfide. It is the presence of sulfur in the end products of bacterial metabolism, and causes the appearance of the stench from the oral cavity.
Only a small percentage of clinical cases of halitosis patients is the result of dysfunction of the gastrointestinal tract, due both to pathological, and anatomical reasons. In this regard, professionals recommend that if you experience smelly breath initially seek the advice of a dentist and not run immediately to donate unnecessary laboratory tests.
The main reasons
A rapid proliferation of anaerobic bacteria in the oral cavity of the patient can be triggered by several factors. Dentists divide them into the following groups:
|Physiological decrease in salivation.||The saliva in the oral cavity performs several functions, one of which is to prevent the growth of opportunistic microflora. This is possible thanks to the presence in saliva of specific Streptococcus (salivary), which uses sulfur in the metabolic processes. When the patient of a foul odor from the oral cavity and is detected by increased generation of whitish deposits on the surface of the language laboratory with his saliva reveals the almost complete absence of this microorganism. The decrease in production of saliva, the patient can trigger the presence of bad habits, particularly Smoking.|
|Xerostomia – excessive dryness of the mucous membranes of the oral cavity.||A similar phenomenon occurs in people in certain occupations (lecturers, speakers, singers), or in patients with various diseases of ENT-organs, resulting in the desiccation of the oral mucosa (chronic nasal congestion, sinusitis, pharyngitis, enlarged adenoids, tonsillitis, infectious diseases, respiratory and others). In this case, a reduced quantity of saliva due to the constantly opened mouth of the patient.|
|Lack of oral hygiene.||Tiny food particles that accumulate in between teeth or in periodontal pockets (e.g., when gingivitis or periodontal disease), together with the resulting in the mouth a touch serve as the ideal habitat for anaerobic bacteria. This is the cause of fetid breath the patient of relevance to the use of dentures, insufficient cleaning which could also lead to accumulation of food debris and increased plaque formation on their surface.|
|The presence of chronic foci of infection in the oral cavity.||Accumulation of opportunistic microflora and its increased proliferation occurs not only in visible areas of the mouth or between teeth. Delayed treatment of such dental diseases as caries, pulpitis, periodontitis, presence of dental calculus may also cause the development of halitosis in a patient.|
In addition to the local reasons for the emergence of fetid breath can be triggered by consumption of a patient in eating certain foods – garlic, onions. This is due to the content of sulfur-containing compounds that are in the process of digestion digested and absorbed into the blood stream. The bloodstream, these compounds spread throughout the body and excreted through the lungs.
Only a small number of clinical cases of fetid breath indicates that the patient has pathology of the internal organs – malfunctioning of the digestive or endocrine systems. In cases of suspected pathology of the internal organs, the dentist will appoint a consultation of the patient by the specialists of adjacent disciplines (internist, endocrinologist, gastroenterologist).
Methods of dealing with unpleasant mouth odor
In dental practice there are certain methods to eliminate bad odor from the oral cavity of the patient. Each person can choose for themselves the most optimal variant combat halitosis, given their own taste preferences and capabilities:
- Diluted lemon juice. If the cause of halitosis is insufficient production of saliva in the oral cavity, to stimulate this process allows the use of lemon juice. For this small volume of clean water (you can mineral) – 1-1,5 l – mixed with juice of 1 lemon and the resulting solution was periodically rinse the mouth in response to the perception in it of dryness. If this solution to leave float used lemon, cut into large chunks, this will help further stimulate the salivation – saliva will produce a reflex in the moment when people will see pieces of citrus.
- To get rid for a while from the fetid breath helps the use of special dental rinses for the mouth. However, in this case, you should pay attention to their composition and to avoid the use of alcohol-based solutions — the alcohol helps to dry the mucous membranes and, as a consequence, increased formation of plaque.
- If halitosis is triggered by the patient inflammation of the gums, get rid of the stench helps regular exercise in the oral cavity of the bath of decoction of medicinal plants with antiseptic action (chamomile, oak bark, St. John’s wort, sage, marjoram and others). To this slightly cooled solution (care must be taken that it does not burn the mucous membranes) are gaining in the mouth and hold for 1-2 minutes, after which it is spit out and recruit a new batch.
- To achieve sustainable elimination of unpleasant smell from the mouth with the help of plants you can, if just to chew them. For this purpose, use plants such as mint, clove, spinach, parsley or dill.
- If every day to eat at least 1 Apple, it will help greatly to improve the condition of the mouth to strengthen the gums, reduce the number of abnormal plaque and enhance the formation of saliva. As a result, after 1-2 days the unpleasant smell from a mouth of the patient disappears.
- Another effective way of getting rid of the stinky smell – the use of freshly brewed coffee. Present in the coffee bean active substances help to neutralize sulfur-containing compounds and thereby relieve man from the problem of bad breath.
Today, there are Express tools, the use of which allows you to instantly remove bad odor from the oral cavity in humans, chewing gum, and sprays that help freshen breath.
How to prevent the emergence of bad breath
The use of various means to eliminate the unpleasant smell from the oral cavity in humans, is only a temporary measure. The patient with this problem it is necessary to conduct certain activities that will help him to eliminate the root cause of halitosis is the anaerobic bacteria accumulating in the plaque. Prevention in this case is as follows:
- Thorough oral hygiene. It was not enough to brush your teeth twice a day, be sure to clean dental spaces from food residues using a special dental floss – floss. This is due to the fact that toothbrush bristles can’t reach between teeth and effectively remove these areas from plaque and food particles.
- Dentists recommend during the day to rinse your mouth with clean water after every meal – this is an additional measure of prevention of plaque formation and the occurrence of halitosis.
- Timely rehabilitation of the oral cavity. It is necessary to conduct a routine inspection at the dentist twice a year and at least 1 time per year to remove Tartar.
- Getting rid of bad habits, primarily Smoking.
- Normalization of the diet. Beneficial effects on the functioning of the digestive tract and the condition of the oral cavity has a daily consumption of oatmeal for Breakfast.
- Drinking enough fluid during the day. Daily a person should drink 1.5-2 liters of clean water. The decrease in production of saliva may occur with insufficient intake of fluids.
As a rule, a thorough carrying out hygienic procedures in the oral cavity, regular visits to the dentist and normalization of diet help to get rid of the problem of halitosis.
If odor does not disappear after the appropriate dental events, this is the occasion to appeal to doctors of related specialties. It is best to contact initially with the question to the therapist, which, given the characteristics of the outgoing breath smell, will send the patient to the appropriate specialist.
So, if the smell is sour, putrid, this may indicate the presence of pathologies in the upper gastrointestinal tract. This requires examination by a gastroenterologist. If breath smell of acetone – this may indicate the development of diabetes, then the patient needs to be referred by an endocrinologist.