How to brush teeth with braces and care for them with the brush?
To brush teeth with braces — the task is not easy, so how to care for them scrupulously, in addition to the orthodontic brush and brush, you need to have a set of tools designed specifically to care.
Oral hygiene with braces is complicated and requires a special approach because the design is glued to each tooth, complicates the process.
The probability of occurrence of plaque, change of color, braces and tooth decay is a real problem of patients who reacted dismissively to the procedures.
Therefore, you should treat the issue of care responsibility to acquire the necessary devices and use them even after a short snack, it will help to keep the system safe and sound.
Tools and accessories for the care
To comply with all recommendations of the patient is required to purchase a number of special devices:
- Brushes – ideal for removing food residue from inaccessible areas, to facilitate cleaning interdental spaces and areas around the system. Process perform a clockwise return movement, and the brush needs to be changed after two weeks of use.
- The orthodontic toothbrush has a V-shaped cutout in the middle and thin neck than and different from its standard version. To clean the tooth surface under the arc, she applied a small amount of toothpaste and make circular movements in the appropriate area.
- Dental floss and superfloss – great for removing plaque and food debris from interdental spaces. If the braces have to wear more than a year, it is better to give preference to waxed floss with fluoride which helps protect teeth from decay.
- Irrigator — oral spray that cleanses the space between the teeth through application of a jet of water or special fluids under pressure. It tends to improve blood circulation in the periodontal tissues and massage the gums.
- Odnopozova brush is shaped like the letter «G» looks like a arm with a tuft of fine hairs at the end.
- Protective wax orthodontists suggest to use if braces hurt the mucous or the patient has problems with the diction.
- Dental cosmetics — are in the form of liquids for mouth rinses and toothpastes contain in its composition calcium fluoride.
In the presence of the braces should always carry at least some of the above accessories.
Video: care for braces-systems.
How to brush braces?
We must remember that at home this process requires a detailed approach, braces are a solid design, but it is also fragile, so, before starting the procedure it is desirable to remove removable parts (push rods or elastic bands).
In order to thoroughly cleanse the tooth surface itself, without the help of a doctor, you need to:
- apply paste, preferably containing fluoride, to brush (if you want to purchase a special orthodontic device, you can use its traditional counterpart, but only with bristles of soft or medium stiffness);
- start cleaning you need with the top jaw, using the horizontal movement (on the outside) along the arc braces, and then same steps repeat for the lower jaw;
- placing the brush at a 45 degree angle against the gums, brush in a circular motion along the gum line at the point of contact with the teeth, despite the fact that cleaning every single tooth to take at least 10 seconds;
- cleaning the brackets is the next step, to put pressure on them should be strong, therefore, the bristles will thoroughly bracketing, the maximum penetrating inside of it.
Thanks to the device you can cope with cleaning hard to reach areas under the arc. Brush should use after brushing orthodontic brush using translational rotational motion.
With the cleaning complete, introducing the thread into hard to reach places — she copes with the places between the teeth, and can be an alternative to brush.
Instead floss dentists are advised to pay attention to superfloss, it has a variable thickness length of thread, which helps to make the process convenient and fast.
The device operates under pressure, feeding a stream of water or any other rinse aid, effectively cleaning the surface of the teeth and at the same time making the massage.
Irrigators are fixed or portable, the latter can always have on hand, which is very practical. It can be used as a preventive measure even after the removal of the entire system.
What toothpaste to brush braces?
To increase the resistance of tooth enamel to caries, the risk of which is possible because of the long wearing braces, you should choose the toothpaste with a high content of fluoride or calcium in the composition.
For help in choosing a brand it is important to turn to an orthodontist, who will advise a suitable product.
Video: the nuances of hygiene with braces
Treatments at the dentist
Braces — this is kind of a complication to perform hygienic procedures of the oral cavity. Therefore it is strongly recommended once a month to go to the doctor for a thorough professional cleaning.
The procedure will help to cope with the removal of harmful bacteria and food debris in the mounting areas of the system and will protect the teeth from dark hours, allowing you to keep them healthy.
The service is held by:
- chemical solution.
After professional cleaning, the doctor covers the teeth with a varnish, which contributes to the saturation of the tooth enamel with fluoride.
Cleaning at the dentist will be virtually useless if you can ignore the rules of daily care, as bacteria quickly recovered, reaching its former level in a couple of days after the procedure.
► Defects tooth surface should immediately consult a doctor – even a careful and proper care is not always possible to avoid trouble.
Tips and advice
There are General provisions, which dentists recommend to stick to:
- after food is to clean the mouth no later than 15 minutes later, the decomposition of food residue that destructively affect both the tooth enamel and braces;
- to saturate the tooth tissue and minerals to strengthen enamel, it is better to replace regular toothpaste to one that contains calcium or fluorine;
- every process of cleaning the teeth should last 10 minutes and held at least three times a day;
- pay special attention to the interdental spaces to clean them it is necessary carefully, preferably using dental floss, brush and other appliances, helping to clean hard to reach places.
You also need to pay attention to other features while wearing braces:
- it is strictly forbidden to remove food debris in interdental spaces using sharp objects (needles, pins, etc.);
- it is desirable to limit the consumption of red wine and black tea;
- you should not eat too cold or too hot food, avoid fluctuations in temperature;
- banned the use of chewing candy, caramel and dried fruits — viscous consistency may lead to displacement of parts;
- unwanted drinking too solid products – apples, cereals and crackers;
- should give preference to products with a high content of calcium, magnesium and vitamin C (greens, dairy products, rice, citrus in particular). They reduce the risk of developing diseases of the gums and teeth.
► What toothpaste to brush your teeth after removing braces?
In patients who wore the system long after the removal it is probable that dental spots. To avoid this phenomenon or to get rid of it, I advise to go with a paste containing in its composition fluorine, traditional.
► Clean braces regular brush – what can be the consequences?
A standard toothbrush is not able to properly clean the teeth in the gums, the attachment points of the design and in the interdental spaces in particular, as a result, the caries, demineralization of the tissue and inflammation of the gums will be hard to avoid. So you need to follow the recommendations of dentists and get a special set of tools.
► Can I use an electric toothbrush?
These brushes are preferably used only with a special nozzle — narrow, with a soft system, which needs to be in a reciprocating rotary mode. The nozzle will have to be replaced every 2-4 weeks, as the media braces toothbrushes wear out much faster.