How to put a crown on the tooth: the installation of dental crowns
The tooth is injured, badly damaged or has some other defect? Don’t worry, it’s better to consider the option of prosthetics and arm themselves with knowledge about how to put a crown on the tooth, to whom and in what situations illustrates this procedure does it hurt and what are its stages.
Indications for the installation
Installing crown on a tooth is a necessary procedure in situations where the patient has:
- Destroyed, as a result of injury, tooth when building, filling and other methods of treatment impossible. The root must be intact and undamaged.
- Some visual defects, including changing the color of the enamel, this leads to ugly appearance of the entire dentition.
- Abrasion of the tooth enamel. The crown will protect it from external shocks.
- Tooth mobility due to various pathologies of the periodontium (in this case, consider the use of temporary «healing crowns», which gives an opportunity to strengthen the teeth and they become more stable).
- Also put crowns on healthy teeth (which act as support) for defects involving the installation of dental bridges and dentures.
The types of dental crowns
There are various types of crowns, depending on the parent material from which they are made. Each of these products will have its positive and negative characteristics.
Classic prosthetics in dentistry, the most popular gold items to be used for prosthetics of a few decades ago. Now for the manufacture of orthopedic structures often use use of alloys made of medical steel which does not oxidation and is a durable wear resistant material. The disadvantages include a fairly unsightly, therefore they, as a rule, set in the far, invisible during conversation or smiling teeth
Installation of metal-ceramic crowns
Metal crowns are durable, last a long time and aesthetically appealing. In addition, their cost is much lower all-ceramic counterparts. The disadvantages of this type of prosthesis is the fact that it is impossible to achieve the transparency effect of the cutting edges in the prosthetic group of the front teeth.
The most attractive and expensive option. These crowns are very similar to natural teeth. However, keep in mind that ceramics are brittle and huge chewing loads, it is not able to withstand. Therefore, prostheses made of ceramics is used in the front, visible locations.
The procedure for fitting a crown on the teeth long and has several stages.
Phase 1 — preparation
At this stage, the doctor makes a treatment plan, which will depend on each specific case and x-rays, and discusses with the patient, as will be installation of metal-ceramic crowns or dentures made of other materials. Discuss with your doctor all the options of the prosthesis, the patient selects the most appropriate.
Treatment may consist of such procedures:
- extraction of teeth in case of non-viability;
- preparation for prosthetics;
- the patient’s choice of a particular type of dental crowns.
- bridge involves the use of fixing several of the abutment teeth and one of the points of the plan can become a process of refining their numbers.
- calculated the approximate cost of installation of crowns;
- negotiated terms of manufacturing prosthetic lock and adaptation in the oral cavity of the patient.
After all preparatory stages before the prosthesis, the patient was invited to a dentist-orthopedist for treatment of abutment teeth and dental impression.
This process involves processing (grinding) of teeth. Using the diamond hogs, the doctor will give the tooth the desired shape. Turning living cells is performed using local anesthesia. This also applies to deponirovanie teeth, because during the preparation it is possible to touch the gums with boron, which can cause discomfort. Running sosotoyanie tissues of the tooth, taking into account the thickness of the installed crown.
The grinding leads to the fact that there is only a stump, which will later be fitted with a prosthesis.
Phase 2 — laboratory
The doctor removes the casts after preparation all teeth which will be fixed single crowns or bridges
- Through a special mass is cast.
- Using these casts, dental technicians in the laboratory of cast plaster models.
- Plaster models are used directly for the manufacture of crowns.
As already noted, the crown produced on the basis of the obtained models from plaster. Products can be made of any of the following in the appropriate section of materials. When dentures do for quite a long time, the patient to temporarily install structures made of plastic, this not only helps to keep the mouth aesthetically appealing, but also to protect already machined teeth.
Phase 3 — fitting and crowns
The goal of fitting is to determine the accuracy of the denture bases and the precise color of the future product.
- In the case of perfect fit of the crown, its Foundation is covered with a special ceramic mass.
- Then, if the crown is ready, the design, using special cement that is installed on the tooth. While initially used temporary cement mass, which allows safely control the behaviour of the tooth relative to the neighbors-antagonists. If all goes well, in about two weeks, installing the dental crowns with a permanent cement.
- The prosthesis is removed from the temporary cement is cleaned thoroughly.
- The surface of the stump, make rough (applying sandblasting material).
- After applying the cement to the inner part of the tooth is donning the crown.
- Next, the irradiation lamp that is conducive to more rapid hardening of the cement.
- Cement residues are removed carefully because of their contact with the soft tissue can provoke inflammatory reactions.
- Two hours valid easy chewing load on the structure. A day on the crown you can forget and eat familiar food.
Indications for removal
In some cases, put a crown on that tooth, you know. Now review the situations in which it is necessary to remove the crown:
- Substandard work dentist. There are situations when the doctor sealing the channels not to the top, resulting in those places may develop the inflammatory process. Such moments entail the removal of unit, unsealing channels, treatment and re-sealing. To avoid unpleasant manipulations, it is necessary to do an x-ray channels after channel filling. So you will appreciate the quality of work of the doctor and prevent the occurrence of complications.
- Pain in the tooth under the prosthesis. Possible cause is the appearance of cysts or broken off a piece of the tool in the channel.
- Errors in the production of products, entailing a distortion of the bite or the problem of physiological (and possibly aesthetic) of the plan.
The planned change of the prosthesis.
Cracks or holes in the place of cement, structural damage
The occurrence of complications:
- the development of prosthetic stomatitis that occurs due to the strong pressure of the denture on the gum tissue, which leads to circulatory disorders, pressure sores;
- the abutment teeth due to tooth decay goes untreated the disease is still in the preparatory stage, or failure to comply with the rules of the care of the oral cavity;
- allergic reactions to the material from which the prosthesis is made;
- galvanic syndrome happens if the patient’s mouth located the prostheses from different materials. This neighborhood is fraught with the appearance of the galvanic current, which in turn stimulates the process of oxidation. Symptoms of complications: a taste of metal in mouth, weakness, change the color of crowns and the teeth next to them.
Removable dental constructions
Removed dental crowns just like and put a crown on the tooth, is quite difficult, especially if you want to save the design for its subsequent re-installation. In the case of a broken denture, its just cut with a special tool, and carefully, with parts removed.
To keep the prosthesis during removal of the crown help:
- koronrodilatirtee tools, represents the appropriate hooks by which clean dentures;
- tongs — great hold and remove the crown.
In addition, modern dentistry allows us to remove products with the help of ultrasound, which passes near the junction of the prosthesis with the stump, crack and crumble the cement. Subsequently, the product can be easily removed.
Popular questions patients
Painful if the installation process
Almost all the actions performed by the dentist, cause discomfort in most patients. In the process of installing crowns is the most uncomfortable stage of preparation, when the teeth of the drill, the root canals are cleaned and sealed, and run the lathe under the denture.
However, you should not be afraid, because due to the fact that the prosthesis is usually set on a dead tooth, the likelihood of pain is minimal. In the case of healthy teeth the doctor uses excellent modern anesthetics. Directly crowns on the teeth painless.
What is the duration of the procedure
The process of fitting a crown long. So, during the first, preparatory stage the patient will have to visit the dentist at least 2 times. The residence time in the doctor’s office depends on the state of the prosthetic tooth of the patient. The subsequent production of the prosthesis in the laboratory can take several weeks. The next stage — installation of the prosthesis on temporary cement can last for about a month. And only after that you can put a crown on that tooth eventually. In General, from the first visit to the dentist to produce the final result may take 2, and sometimes more months.
Do crowns on live teeth
Yes, I have. The exception is single-rooted teeth and those in which it is not necessary to remove the nerve. In addition, healthy teeth are used for crowns with a bridge prosthesis.