How to treat a dental abscess at home, and to remove the tumor
If you experience swelling of the cheeks, the person begins to torment the question of how quickly to treat a dental abscess at home, and to remove the tumor, not going to the doctor, because fear of the dentist many people there since early childhood. However, periostitis is not something, when you can cope with the disease. Refusal of medical care is fraught with serious consequences.
The disease not only changes a person’s appearance, but also accompanied by severe pain in the region of the causative tooth and the entire half of the jaw or even head. Due to the anatomical features of the maxillofacial area and the rich network of blood vessels and nerve fibers, pathology, therapy should only be doctor, because self-treatment will not bring success or even aggravate the situation.
What is the flux?
Flux in the vernacular referred to as periostitis. This inflammation of the periosteum of the jaw bone that develops because of infection from the root canal and periapical region, which causes thickening of the jaw in the projection of the problem tooth and there is swelling of the cheeks.
The root cause of the disease can be considered a carious lesion. It begins with the destruction of the tooth and the penetration of pathogenic microorganisms in Polyarnyy chamber and tissues surrounding the root.
The flux of odontogenic etiology is often called staphylococci, streptococci, pathogenic species of sticks and pyogenic Bacillus. When the periodontal tissues present a source of infection, the microorganisms are able to penetrate via the intraosseous channels in the periosteum and cause inflammation there.
The etiology of the development process is infectious in nature, and factors leading to penetration of the pathogen into the periosteum, a few:
- caries (usually deep) – the most common reason why there is flux. Due to the destruction of the hard tissues of the tooth, the microflora penetrates into the root canal, where it causes pulpitis. In the absence of timely treatment of inflammation of the dental nerve, the bacteria through the apical hole okolokozhnoe get into space and begin to destroy the bone structure near the apex. On the canals of osteon they extend deep into and infiltrate the periosteum, which leads to its thickening;
- chronic infection – the presence of a source of constant inflammation in the sinuses, nasal cavity, upper respiratory;
- trauma – fracture of crown or root of the tooth creates an open path for the distribution of cocci from the oral cavity in the internal structure of the jaw;
- marginal periodontitis is an inflammatory process that develops in the edge of the gums, accompanied by the formation of pathological pockets through which the infection of the periodontium;
- stomatitis is the place violated the integrity of the mucous membranes and soft tissues of the oral cavity (cheek, palate, lip, or gums) becomes the gateway for streptococci;
- cyst – abscess okolokozhnogo of the bag often leads to the development of inflammation of the periosteum;
- low quality of treatment, in violation of technology of processing of root canals and their filling sometimes it happens when you rinse the tooth cavity infection is pushed deeper into either excessive amount of sealant discharged through the apical hole, which in turn leads to irritation oculocardiac tissue and spread of bacteria.
Inflammation initially occurs without the formation of pus. He begins to form several days later, with it increases swelling of the cheeks and appears throbbing pain. A day without dental care condition can deteriorate significantly due to growing intoxication and lead to dangerous complications (phlegmon, abscess, sepsis).
Sometimes in people who have weak immunity, the disease goes into the chronic form, when there is a sluggish process, alternating with periods of exacerbation.
The severity of symptoms of flux may differ depending on the patient’s age, the immune system, as well as individual characteristics of the structure of the jaws.
The abatement of discomfort in the causal tooth is after the beginning of the development process. The pain takes spilled nature, and it becomes constant and nagging can affect half of the face or head. Often there is radiating along the course of branches of the trigeminal nerve.
The typical symptoms that accompany inflammation of the periosteum.
- Joins when purulent infiltration occurs the ripple.
- Limited mouth opening in the localization of the swelling on the gums in the angle of the lower jaw with the development of contractures.
- Discomfort during eating and movement language.
- Swelling of the soft tissues on the upper or lower jaw depending on the location of the flux.
- In the mouth there is hyperemia of the mucous membranes, smoothness of the transition folds or protrusion in the form of a roller.
- On palpation there is a pain and can be determined the fluctuation in the presence of pus.
- Positive symptom Vincent (numb lips) if abscess in region of large and small molars of the lower jaw.
- Deterioration of health, the development of hyperthermia up to 38 °C, weakness, headache.
It should be noted that at the stage of serous flux manifestation of clinical symptoms are less pronounced, in contrast to the purulent.
Photo: looks like a flux?
There are several options for surgical interventions in the tooth flux:
- tooth extraction pulp extirpation performed in cases when the tooth-preserving operations will not lead to a positive outcome. Usually are subject to removal milk teeth, when to the period of physiological change remains a bit of time to inflammation did not affect the germ of the permanent. Quite often remove wisdom teeth, as due to the atypical location and characteristics of the root canal system cannot carry out an adequate endodontic intervention;
- pristatome – perform the section on transition the crease with dissection of the periosteum to release the pus, then installed drainage of glove rubber, and when subsides inflammation, the treatment of the tooth cavity;
- the combined method is used in cases where extirpation does not provide a complete evacuation of purulent exudate, and it requires the implementation of pristatomi.
The question of whether to preserve the integrity of the dentition or necessary to remove the tooth, is solved by the dentist, in each case depending on the clinical manifestations and x-rays.
How to treat a dental abscess at home?
To self-medicate and use folk remedies to eliminate swelling of the cheeks can be dangerous because of the risk of worsening of disease and development of severe complications. The disease requires mandatory medical intervention, so as to cure a dental abscess at home in 1 day is impossible.
The use of methods of traditional medicine can only slightly reduce the pain and severity of swelling, but will not eliminate the root cause of purulent-inflammatory process.
After first aid at the opening of the flux provided, the physician usually sends the patient home with a list of recommendations, including medication, rinse and provision of hygienic care for the oral cavity.
To apply the methods of home treatment without going to the dentist is prohibited in some groups.
- During pregnancy.
- Adult patients suffering from immunodeficiency States.
- Allergy sufferers.
To quickly remove the source of infection, reduce the severity of edema and eliminate hyperthermia without the use of antibiotics in the treatment of the flux is not necessary. After surgery, the dentist will appoint tablets, which are aimed at addressing bacterial contamination and purulent discharge. For the treatment antibiotics of wide spectrum of action.
To relieve swelling, to eliminate swelling of the soft tissues and also provide the excretion of pus AIDS the application of various creams and liniments. The use of ointments is allowed only after a medical examination since self-treatment of abscess rarely leads to positive results.
To reduce the signs of inflammation of the periosteum, the following funds.
- Nasal spray – contains chloramphenicol and methyluracil, which provide antimicrobial action. Apply on the problem area.
- A mixture of drugs – the squeeze on the gauze and streptotsidom a little Ichthyol ointment, mix and apply to the gums congested.
- Metrogyl Denta — anti-inflammatory gel that can be rubbed into the mucous membrane to relieve swelling and signs of the disease.
Than rinse your mouth?
To get rid of postoperative edema and to speed up the process of release of purulent exudate and to ensure rapid healing, it is possible to apply different solutions and infusions for rinsing:
- soda is a popular substance used in inflammatory processes of the maxillofacial area, to burst the abscess. A teaspoon of sodium carbonate dissolved in 100 ml of warm water and place the mouth trays at least 4-5 times a day;
- Miramistin – finished product that requires no dilution. For treatment of the oral cavity type 15 ml liquid, rinse the gums, and then spit it out. To perform the procedure 2-3 times a day;
- propolis – pharmacy alcohol solution must be diluted with water in ratio of 1:10 and rinse the mouth after eating;
- sage, St. John’s wort and oak bark – take a tablespoon of dried plants, pour into a thermos and add half a liter of boiling water. Close the container tightly and leave not less than 60 minutes. After that, strain and put the teeth and gums three times a day;
- green tea and sage brew a dry collection of boiling water, add some salt and use the mood to destination while it is still warm;
- chamomile, birch buds and calendula – mix dry herbs in equal proportions, pour into an enamel pan a litre of water and add 50 grams of the mixture. Boil, then leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
How quickly to remove the tumor from the flux?
The first thing to do if fanned his cheek, it’s to hurry to the dentist as delaying treatment in case of acute periostitis can lead to the spread of purulent infection and development of complications. After surgery the doctor will tell you how to remove the swelling and will also prescribe medication to fight infection.
- To reduce the swelling of the cheeks, can be applied cold lotions to the face.
- Prohibits the warming up of the problem area, as well as the wearing of the armbands.
- Refrain from excessive exercise.
Video: the flux on the gums is the treatment at home.
The prognosis for timely and adequate treatment of inflammation of the periosteum is usually positive. In the case when a patient with a swollen cheek postpones a visit to the dentist for a few days, self-medicates or not following recommendations of a doctor may develop serious consequences, which sometimes end in death.
The most common complication is the progression of inflammation and the spread to nearby soft tissue or bone.
The main preventive measure to prevent inflammation of the periosteum, is considered timely treatment of caries and its complications. Following the simple guidelines, you can maintain healthy teeth and reduce the risk of periostitis.
- regular care for the oral cavity, consisting in its daily cleansing. Dentists recommend a brush with paste, but also to use dental floss, toothpastes and irrigators;
- check the condition of the gums — upon detection of looseness and bleeding contact your periodontist;
- treatment of caries in the early stages;
- visit the dentist at least once in six months for checkups and professional cleanings;
- note on food habits — try to limit sweets and sodas. Eat more dairy products and meat, fresh vegetables and fruits.
These methods of prevention accessible to everyone, because they are uncomplicated and simple. However, their use in everyday life to allow to prevent the development of this unpleasant condition.
► Code for ICD-10
According to the international classification the diagnosis of a dental abscess, also known as «periostitis of the jaw», is encrypted with the code K10.2. this category includes inflammatory diseases of the jaw bones.
► Can pass the flux without surgery?
The acute form can not pass by itself, since it is necessary to provide for the exit of purulent exudate that can be done during the tooth removal or if pristatomi.
► Dangerous than the disease?
The lack of integrated treatment is fraught with complications such as abscess, cellulitis, osteomyelitis. In severe cases, there is the risk of sepsis.