How to use the oral irrigator of an oral cavity?
Will talk about how to use the oral irrigator of an oral cavity. After all, today this device is increasingly gaining popularity in the home. How to use it for brushing your teeth in different cases, and what are the recommendations of doctors?
Long known that proper oral hygiene helps to ensure its perfect purity. In turn, this prevents the spread of bacteria and various diseases. And warn them much easier and better than later suffer from unpleasant symptoms and spend time and money on treatment.
What is a Waterpik?
This device is designed to perform high-quality cleaning of the teeth at the professional level. But to make the treatment of the oral cavity can be at home without anyone’s help. It consists of:
- reservoir for the liquid, water or mouthwash;
- the compressor or hydraulic pump which delivers it under pressure;
- and convenient nozzle with handle for control.
Among nozzles manufacturers offer different variations – pulsing, continuous (standard), spray, centered, etc. depending on the purposes of processing to achieve the desired effect of the massage, treatment or prevention.
It is important to remember that when cleaning the teeth irrigator to monitor the water pressure. Adjust it from minimum to severe, gradually increasing. It is a powerful stream of fluids helps to rid the surface of the hard and soft tissues of plaque and food debris, reaching even remote places.
What is it for?
The main purpose of the oral irrigator:
- It guarantees maximum hygiene in the home.
- Thereby prevents the development of periodontitis and gingivitis.
- Prevents bacteria to proliferate and appear carious formations.
- Efficiently cleans not only the surface of the teeth, and various artificial structures – crowns, braces, dentures, etc.
- Performs therapeutic massages of soft tissues, increasing regenerative functions by increasing blood circulation.
- Also a positive effect on the correct functioning of the salivary glands.
Some patients think that if you have crowns or other fixed structures in the mouth, the use of such an assistant is impossible. On the contrary, if there are any orthodontic or denture products oral irrigator for mouth helps the best cleansing.
Indications and contraindications
Doctors especially recommend the use of the apparatus in the following cases:
- when severe crowding of teeth, when regular cleaning is not giving proper results;
- when inflammation of the gums, the need for treatment and prevention of gingivitis, periodontitis and other complications;
- to eliminate the unpleasant smell from the mouth;
- when the patient is diagnosed with diabetes, which is poorly and slowly healing soft tissue.
- during pregnancy to provide quality oral health and prevent dental diseases.
And even though this device is very useful in most situations, there are cases when it is undesirable to apply:
- recently committed surgery on the mucosa;
- immediate dental treatment;
- exacerbation of certain diseases of periodontal tissues;
- incessant bleeding gums even after two weeks of use of the irrigator.
In all of these situations required a gentle approach and solutions to specific problems. They are temporary and are not a contraindication on a regular basis. It is important to mention the time when the similar device in the family is a child. For this process you have to follow someone from the adult, leaving the baby alone with the camera, as the stream of water may accidentally get into the airway.
Related link: how to choose an oral irrigator?
How to use an irrigator?
Prior to the first home treatments advisable to consult a doctor and to clarify some rules – how often to use the device, how many times a day to clean, what kind of fluid to fill that to choose as add-ons and other nuances. Although the highlights of how to use the oral irrigator is specified in the attached instructions. This:
- To start the procedure you need with little pressure, only gradually increasing it.
- The direction of the nozzle has to go from the gums to the edge of the tooth surface angle of 60-90 degrees, so as not to hook and not break the soft tissues water pressure.
- Manipulation takes approximately 15 minutes. This is enough to reach all areas and clean them efficiently.
- First treated with readily available surface and then move on to the difficult parts.
- For complete purification the visually divide the oral cavity into separate zones.
- With the preventive purpose, you can use the device once a day or 3-4 times a week.
- Remember that the use of toothbrush and toothpaste thereby not excluded. You must first treat the surface with them and then apply the irrigator.
- It is not recommended at this time to further clean the interdental spaces with floss. They can cause trauma to the gums, or too much to expand the space between the units. Application of water jet in this case can severely damage soft tissue.
- The liquid was immediately removed from his mouth, it’s best to lean over the sink in the cleaning process.
When you purchase the right instrument it is advisable to start the introduction with a detailed examination, as all the models are very different – the volume of tanks, capacity, availability, and location of the individual elements, nozzles, etc.
What is the right fluid for the device?
The versatility of the Waterpik and use it for different purposes must take into account that you will pour as a liquid. This can be as simple as purified water, herbal teas, healing herbal teas, a special dental solutions or mouthwash.
In each case it is necessary to consider their features. For example, if you decided to treat the oral cavity with herbs, make sure initially if you have allergies to them and if it is these herbs in your case. When you use mouthwash you need to remember about his excessive foaming, so too much liquid to pour should not be, and after the procedure thoroughly wash the parts.
Of special solutions is to provide professional and domestic. First prescribed by a doctor for a special treatment or cure of any disease. They include active ingredients, mineral supplements, antiseptics, etc. the dentist needs to be clarified what concentration to dilute and apply. Household liquids contain less additives and are designed more for regular hygienic cleaning of surfaces.
You can also split the proposed solutions for the intended purpose:
- with minerals for strengthening enamel and additional saturation of the solid tissues;
- reduces bleeding gums – particularly important in periodontal disease;
- with different fragrances against unpleasant odor;
- Hypo allergenic for those people who are prone to allergic reactions to most herbs and medicines.
The temperature of any liquid, water, solution that you use for the treatment of oral cavity should be no more than 40 degrees, but cool. It is usually sufficient to omit the little finger in the reservoir and at a comfortable sensations is the normal temperature for the procedure.
Depending on the applied solution can achieve the following effects:
- disinfect all surfaces, removing them from bacteria;
- to treat some diseases and to replenish the balance of minerals in the tissues;
- freshen breath;
- to create the prevention of gum disease and improve blood circulation.
The main components of most of the special liquids are medicinal herbs (chamomile, sage, calendula, St. John’s wort), xylitol that provides additional protection against tooth decay, Miramistin, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory. This integrated approach helps to maintain healthy teeth and gums and give your smile a shiny well-groomed appearance and pleasant smell.
Video: how to use an irrigator? Instruction from the dentist.
To keep the device in good condition as long as possible and not to break, apply it only as directed and thoroughly cleaned after each use. If you are going to handle the mouth with herbal decoction or infusion, then before you pour it into the tank you have to drain. Any small particles can get stuck in the machine and lead to rapid failure.
Rinse the nozzle and the reservoir after each procedure under running water. Additionally, it is recommended to use for this and a toothbrush to maximize cleaning device of the means employed. The only way to achieve long-term functioning.