How to whiten teeth with hydrogen peroxide: is it possible
Many people believe that salon teeth whitening is expensive and time consuming, and often wonder how to whiten teeth with hydrogen peroxide. The choice of the substance for whitening teeth at home is not accidental: it is the hydrogen peroxide is included in most professional whitening compounds as a main component. With age and frequent contact with the tobacco, caffeine and other household «pollutants» darken even the brightest of the nature teeth. Hydrogen peroxide is considered the optimum effect and impact on tooth enamel substance for bleaching teeth in the clinic and at home.
How does the peroxide
The whitening impact of the teeth brushing with hydrogen peroxide, have long been known. That is why it is the major ingredient in almost all professional bleaching: gels, strips, rinses.
Unlike soda, which is also a popular remedy for home whitening and it acts mechanically, hydrogen peroxide impact on enamel chemically. If you brush your teeth with hydrogen peroxide, the oxidation reaction. Stands out water and oxygen which penetrates into the thickness of plaque, causing its destruction.
This is not a fast process, so you should not expect noticeable results after the first procedure. Usually the visible effect is seen after 2-3 weeks of regular cleansing with hydrogen peroxide.
When the question arises, how to whiten teeth with hydrogen peroxide, the first thing that comes to mind is the rinse. It is believed that this is the easiest and gentle way. After brushing usually toothpaste (preferably fluoride) simply rinse teeth with 3% peroxide. Optionally, you can dilute it with water in proportion 1:1. If the teeth are the places that need special attention, soak in peroxide with a cotton swab and wipe them problem areas. Do not swallow the liquid! After the procedure, always rinse the mouth with water.
A more effective method — mix the peroxide with baking soda. The effect will be more pronounced due to the action of two active components. Soda will clean off the plaque by mechanical means, and the peroxide will start the chemical reaction of the whitening.
To prepare the cleaning composition, mix three percent hydrogen peroxide with the baking soda to a pulp and the resulting composition and brush your teeth. To minimize the abrasive effect on the enamel can be cleaned without a brush, a cotton swab or just your finger. Gently massage the teeth coated with the composition for 2-3 minutes, being careful not to seize the gums, then rinse thoroughly with water.
Another option is brushing with peroxide with your normal toothpaste. Apply brush with your toothpaste, and on top add a couple of drops of lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide. Well, if toothpaste is fluoride — this will smooth the possible negative impact on the enamel.
Also homemade methods include the purchase in a drugstore a special cap and strips for whitening teeth. The cap is a silicone or gel pad in the shape of the jaw. It is made so as to be suitable for most people. Capa is filled with the composition based on hydrogen peroxide and is worn over the teeth for a certain period of time: from an hour to a whole night. Time depends on the initial condition of the teeth, the concentration of the active substance and the ultimate goal of whitening.
After using this mouth guard may increase the sensitivity of the teeth or gums. If you notice disturbing symptoms, this method does not suit you. In this case, you can try whitening strips. They do not affect the gums: you simply stick the strip with pre-applied composition on the teeth. Time and permissible frequency of use, read the manuals, since the strips also differ in concentrations of active substance in the composition.
Contraindications and precautions
Almost always the use of peroxide for bleaching demonstrates a noticeable effect in the case of the most frequent culprits in the darkening of the enamel — coffee, tea, tobacco, berries and juices. However, this method is not for everyone. For example, if the teeth are dark from nature or as a result of some diseases, hydrogen peroxide will not help.
And for those who dare to try, keep in mind some precautions:
- Purchase for only 3% peroxide. The use at home of higher concentrations can damage the oral cavity and organism as a whole.
- Make sure you are not allergic to this stuff!
- You will not do this method if you have any disease of the teeth or gums. It is best to consult a dentist before whitening at home. The doctor will help to determine the condition of the teeth and mouth, will cure underlying disease, then you will be able to do bleaching procedures.
- It is not necessary to use these methods if you wear braces or have recently removed them.
- If, during the rinsing or cleaning with peroxide you feel discomfort, burning or something else unpleasant, immediately stop the procedure and rinse mouth with water. You can try to further dilute the peroxide with water 1:1, but if in this case you will not be able to tolerate the procedure, it is better to abandon them.
- If your tooth enamel is so thin that the teeth sensitive to hot or cold, you will not do the bleaching with peroxide. From this procedure, the enamel becomes thinner, and the sensitivity will worsen.
- Never swallow the peroxide!
- Use fresh medication, keep it in a tightly sealed bottle, preferably in the fridge. Over time and with access of air, the peroxide can lose its properties.
- After each treatment rinse your mouth with water.
- In order to give the composition to act, try to withstand at least an hour after brushing and rinsing without ingestion or consumption of drinks.
- It is not necessary to resort to teeth whitening during pregnancy. In this state they undergo mass is not the most pleasant changes from a lack of calcium.
But is it possible to brush your teeth with peroxide continuously in the absence of contraindications? Remember that bleaching with hydrogen peroxide in any case affects the enamel of the teeth. The optimal frequency of whitening procedures — courses for 2 weeks, a total quantity of not more than 4 per year. In the case of abuse of this method of effects enamel can be irreversible: increased sensitivity, thinning enamel until complete abrasion. If you notice increased tooth sensitivity, try using special toothpaste for such cases: they block nerve impulses and nourishes the teeth with essential minerals.
The matte appearance of white spots on the teeth or acquire teeth chalky white talks about the abrasion of the enamel. This condition requires dental treatment, so the continuation of the course of bleaching may not be considered.
In addition, the appearance of white spots may indicate demineralization and subsequently result in caries. The main difference between home bleaching from dental treatments using professional formulations is that in the second case, the action of the active substance is softened additional components such as potassium, glycerin, fluoride. They remineralizing enamel, minimizing negative impacts, and thus do not reduce the main effect. Therefore, if you decide to try bleaching with hydrogen peroxide at home, try to use toothpaste that contains fluoride. It strengthens the enamel, preventing excessive abrasion.
Prevention of darkening of the enamel
After a course of bleaching your teeth probably will continue to be in contact with different substances that affect the color of the enamel. As between the rates of bleaching is always needed breaks during these periods, you can follow some preventive measures. Try to use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth — strengthens enamel and reduces sensitivity, which often is exacerbated after a course of whitening.
And in contact with main pollution factors — coffee, tea, tobacco, berries, etc. — try as soon as possible after their use to rinse your mouth and possible and brush your teeth. So you will not allow contaminants to penetrate deep into tooth enamel.