Inflammation of gums during pregnancy: treatment
Inflammation of gums during pregnancy is of the same etiology that in the normal condition. But this is not easy for women period, the process of plaque formation can be repeatedly accelerated. What to do if you have swollen gums during pregnancy, we will discuss in this article.
Why inflamed gums in pregnant women
Occurs inflammation of the gums during pregnancy most women. There are several reasons that contribute to this:
- the change in the concentration of hormones. During pregnancy the endocrine system produces large quantities of estrogen, prolactin, gonadotropin, progesterone. Thanks to them, is the growth and development of the child. The hormone progesterone affects fluid retention in the body, in addition, increased concentration leads to an increase in volume circulating through the vessels of blood. Affects the thickness of the mucous tissues, contributing to the thickening and blood flow, another hormone — estrogen. A change in the content of hormones in the blood affect the tone of blood vessels, causing their expansion, which leads to puffiness of the mucous tissue. That is why you may receive problem with gums during pregnancy;
- the toxicosis. He can appear both in early pregnancy and in third trimester. When a woman experiences heartburn or vomiting occurs. Acid in the stomach, hits the top of the esophagus that affects the acid-alkaline balance in the mouth. Acidic environment favorable for the development of pathogenic microflora, it begins to proliferate. This leads to rapid deposition of soft and hard plaque on the teeth and in the subgingival pockets. It leads to bleeding of the gums;
- the change in diet. Pregnant women are not inclined to deny myself the pleasure to eat sweets or flour products, which previously were more limited. And starchy food also affects the acidity in the mouth;
- a lack of vitamins. For normal growth and development the child needs a certain amount of minerals and vitamins. All the necessary materials are primarily on the needs of your baby, and if the mother did not increase their intake, for it is not to be missed.
On the condition of the vessels and the health of the gums reflects the lack of vitamin C, E, j, K for the teeth need calcium, phosphorus and fluoride. So pregnant woman should reconsider your diet add vegetables, fruits and nuts, in addition, do not give up vitamin and mineral complexes.
- decrease in immunity. During pregnancy reduced the protective reaction of the body due to the increased load, as well as yellow body suppresses lymphocytes and phagocytes, that they did not perceive the fetus as a foreign body. As a result, the immune system is not able to counteract pathogenic microflora penetrating from the outside, and even a small wound on the gums that was infected, can lead to inflammation of the whole mucous membrane of the mouth;
- the change of qualitative characteristics of saliva. The secret of the salivary glands to wash away remnants of food, destroy pathogens, deliver to teeth need calcium. But under the influence of hormones and changes in metabolism, it becomes viscous. This leads to the fact that the amount of useful minerals in it decreases, she can’t cope with soft plaque;
- dental disease. If the girl had periodontitis, or its predecessor, gingivitis, and before conception the problem is not resolved, then during pregnancy, the disease progresses very quickly and the symptoms can no longer be ignored.
Gum disease in pregnant women may be classified as catarrhal or hypertrophic. The first plaque is quickly formed and causes severe swelling and the second the mucous tissue growing strongly, which can lead to mobility of tooth.
All these factors directly or indirectly affect the rate of plaque formation. The sediments accumulating between the gum and tooth in a nutritious substrate for pathogens.
Plaque consists of bacteria, living and dead, and looks like adhesive film which is easy to «catch». Pathogenic microflora in the process of life produces toxins that cause swelling and Tartar pushes the gum from the tooth, causing it to become inflamed and starts bleeding.
What therapy is carried out in dentistry
Get rid of bleeding gums and pain in severe inflammation at home will not work. Not worth during pregnancy treatment to give yourself, you need to contact a qualified professionals who are periodontists.
In the first stage are required to undergo a professional dental cleaning, which will remove soft and hard deposits. Typically, this use of ultrasound and mechanical cleaning, but in pregnancy, the ultrasound is contraindicated. After removing the deposits the enamel is polished to bacteria was hard to gain a foothold on the smooth surface.
The second stage is the course of anti-inflammatory therapy, which is designed to normalize the permeability of blood vessels. If a pregnant gingivitis, is required for ten days rinsing the mouth Hlorgeksidinom twice a day, then do a local application gel Holisal or Metrogyl Denta.
With periodontitis (the formation of deep periodontal pockets with purulent content), this therapy will not be enough. Will need a visit to the dentist for washing and cleaning region between the tooth and the gum. Your doctor may also prescribe antibiotics, electrophoresis, massage.
The treatment of bleeding gums in pregnant women
Often pregnant women do not seek medical help in fear that medication will negatively affect the formation of the fetus. Indeed, many medications are contraindicated during pregnancy or lactation. But medicine has to offer and those that do not in any way affect either the woman or the baby she is carrying under her heart. Dentists planned treatment is recommended to postpone the second trimester of pregnancy. Under the planned means treatment, not for acute pain, and then that may some time to wait. The fact is that from 12 to 16 weeks of gestation, the placenta is formed, which protects the fetus from the adverse effects of chemical substances (they cannot penetrate through the placental barrier). To treat the teeth and gums in the first trimester is allowed, but there is a risk of complications or allergic reactions in the mother. In the third trimester the woman is physically hard to spend time in the dental chair.
If a pregnant appeared pain when eating, severe bleeding, pus when you press on the gums, it requires urgent therapy. Purulent exudate enters the digestive tract and can have a negative impact on the child.
Pus spreads to the adjacent organs, can enter the brain, eyes, auditory apparatus, to cause blood poisoning. In the treatment be used antibiotics that are proven not to affect the fetus at any stage of development.
The advice of traditional medicine
With a mild increased inflammation and bleeding of periodontal only when brushing your teeth, you can try to cope on their own at home. Recipes of traditional medicine can be used as a Supplement to the basic treatment or separately. But if the disease persists for weeks or occurs its progression, you should not delay with the visit to the doctor.
If swollen gums during pregnancy, it is recommended to use the medicinal plants that have anti-inflammatory, hemostatic, antiseptic and accelerates regeneration properties. Such plants include chamomile, oak bark, sage, plantain, mother and stepmother, yarrow. Since decoctions and infusions are used for rinsing, they do not penetrate into the bloodstream and do not affect the fetus.
To relieve inflammation you can prepare the following solutions:
- sea salt can help to cope with inflamed gums and destroy pathogens. To make a glass of warm water dissolve one teaspoon of salt. Rinse your mouth after every meal;
- tincture cinnamon. Cinnamon sticks (100g) grind to the state of powder, and pour a quarter liter of vodka. Leave to infuse for 7 days. The solution is used only for rinsing;
- a decoction of celandine, or St. John’s wort. For cooking need 20 gr. grass. It is boiled on slow fire about half an hour, then leave to infuse;
- aloe. Young leaves of the plant are crushed to a mushy consistency, then bring to the boil and strain. Used for rinsing. You can apply the plant fresh. Sheet, cut lengthwise, applied to the inflamed area for a few minutes or make the application of slurry;
- plantain. Dry leaves in an amount of 30 grams pour boiling water and leave to infuse for 15-20 minutes. Then filtered and used for rapid tissue regeneration.
Prevention of the disease
In order to prevent a relapse it is recommended to take measures to strengthen the gums:
- to add to the diet vitamins and minerals, to limit the consumption of starchy foods;
- brushing your teeth more time. If there is tenderness when cleaning, purchase monopikovy toothbrush, it not injured gums. Be sure to use dental floss and brushes for removing plaque from interdental spaces. And to remove bacteria from the mucosa, use a balm or conditioner on the basis of vegetable components;
- after each meal to remove food particles from the mouth. For this approach even rinsing with plain water;
- use toothpaste for sensitive teeth. It will help to reduce inflammation, relieve bleeding, to accelerate tissue regeneration. But it should be remembered that paste with the contents of antibiotics or antiseptics cannot be used for more than two consecutive weeks;
- if you periodically feel sick after vomiting rinse your mouth with a solution of soda contained in order to restore the acidity in the mouth;
- eat solid food. Carrots, apples and other solid products necessary for load on the masticatory organs. It helps to strengthen the teeth and soft gum tissues.
Pregnancy gingivitis can appear as early as the first months of gestation and progress up to the birth or to stay at the same level. 2-3 trimester periodontal disease can become chronic, so leave symptoms unattended consequences. Treatment during pregnancy should conduct a qualified doctor, he will resolve the issue and prevent recurrence.