Inflammation of the dental nerve: symptoms and treatment
With pulpitis, which is an inflammation of the dental nerve, patients are often tormented by a very severe pain. In the treatment of the disease in the first place eliminates the pain, then clean the tooth cavity and root canals from infected tissues and sealing. The appearance of inflammatory process in neurovascular bundle (pulp) may contribute to a variety of factors, including untreated dental caries and hypothermia of the gingival tissues and the trigeminal nerve.
Types and forms of pulpitis
There are acute and chronic forms of inflammation of the nerve in the tooth. Acute pulpitis may be focal or purulent. Severe pain in this disease is caused by accumulation of purulent exudate, compressing the nerve endings in closed polyarnoi camera.
There are the following types of chronic inflammation of the tooth nerve:
- fibrous pulpitis is manifested by proliferation of connective tissue;
- hypertrophic — increase the volume polyarnoi tissue, it penetrates into decayed the open cavity of the tooth;
- gangrenous — a cloth the pulp in the crown of the tooth begins to decay, root develop granulation.
In chronic pulpitis can be acute. Unlike the acute form of the disease the pain in the tooth during this period is intermittent — periodically appears and disappears, a cavity is of considerable depth. Possible asymptomatic chronic pulpitis destroyed or sealed tooth. At a deep location of the inflamed tissue to make an accurate diagnosis helps radiography.
What contributes to the appearance of the inflammatory process
Most often inflammation of the dental nerve occurs when untreated caries. Gradually destroying the tissue of the tooth, the infection reaches the pulp, which is actively propagated. Under the influence excreted by microbes toxic substances tooth nerve is inflamed with the formation of purulent exudate.
Also pulp tissue can become inflamed for the following reasons:
- Poor treatment of the tooth. When the filling is in the tooth cavity can remain infection. In some cases, to the development of drug-induced pulpitis results in the use of antiseptics, poor quality filling material.
- Damage to the pulp during grinding of a tooth for installation of crowns.
- Gum disease periodontal disease. In this disease exposes the tooth root and the gingival pockets are formed that accumulate food particles and breed pathogens.
- A jaw injury that damages the teeth and integrity polyarnoi camera.
- The disease SARS, the defeat of the nerve with the herpes virus.
- The weakening of the immune system occurring in the body of chronic infections, stress, poor diet.
- Hypothermia, a finding in the draft, resulting in zastuzheny tooth nerve.
Signs of inflammation of the pulp
The symptoms of inflammation of the dental nerve may be expressed stronger or weaker depending on the form of the disease and coverage of tissue by the inflammatory process. In acute pulpitis there is a sharp throbbing pain. Amplification of pain occurs at night and in the supine position. The pain may radiate to the neck or temple. A diseased tooth has a carious cavity.
If a person got a cold tooth nerve, this may cause the following symptoms:
- in the affected area of the face there is a strong pain, sometimes it gives to the area of the eye sockets, jaw bone, ear;
- the skin at the site off the nerve swells, warmer to the touch surrounding tissues;
- from time to time is a nervous TIC, caused by the contraction of the muscles;
- the body temperature rises to 37°C;
- area lip in the area of inflammation is lowered;
- you may receive a fine rash on the face;
- the dream is broken.
How to eliminate the pain before you visit the clinic
Pain onset at night or in the day when there is no opportunity to consult the dentist very painful and heavy to carry. What to do if inflamed nerve in the tooth, but a visit to the hospital you need some time to postpone? You can try to relieve pain on their own, taking painkillers (Paracetamol, Nospanum, Ibuprofen) and to stop the inflammatory process in the following ways:
- Prepare the infusion of chamomile flowers, calendula, sage and eucalyptus leaves, adding a spoonful of a mixture of plant ingredients Cup of boiling water. After 30 minutes of infusion liquid can be strained and used to rinse the mouth every 2 hours.
- Rinse your mouth with a solution of baking soda and salt (half teaspoon of each product per 200 ml of warm water).
- Be used for rinsing tincture of propolis, half-diluted with water.
- To reduce the soreness occurring in the region off the nerve helps warm compress. But in acute purulent pulpitis heat will lead to increased inflammation, increased formation of pus and the condition may worsen the appearance of serious complications.
Treatment of pulpitis
Even if the pain temporarily subsided, we should not postpone the treatment of the patient’s tooth. Without professional help the inflammation will progress, affecting the surrounding tissue. As a result, the disease becomes chronic and may be complicated by the development of periodontitis, granuloma formation or purulent cysts. Infection through the blood vessels can spread to various organs and cause inflammation. Secreted by microbes toxins will lead to permanent poisoning of the body. To eliminate inflammation with pulpitis apply biological (conservative), surgical treatment and laser therapy.
Biological method is applied at the initial stage of inflammation and allows you to keep the pulp of the tooth with involuntary violation of the integrity polyarnoi camera. Also it is usually used with pulpitis caused by trauma to the tooth, and in young patients with a history of no chronic diseases.
When conservative therapy provides:
- debridement of the pulp with the use of antibacterial drugs;
- the use of drugs, including calcium;
- the appointment of physiotherapeutic procedures, normalizing the acidity;
- control of treatment results using regular x-ray studies to prevent transition of diseases into a chronic form.
Involves removing the pulp. Can be treated by this method both acute and chronic forms of inflammation of the tooth nerve. Distinguish between the vital and devital methods of surgical treatment of pulpitis. In the vital method, local anesthesia is used to eliminate tooth sensitivity during the procedure. An autopsy polyarnoi camera, remove the pulp with a thorough cleaning of root canals. Then they are processed antiseptic solution to the complete destruction of the infection.
When a small prevalence of the inflammatory process it is possible to conduct the treatment during one visit to the dental office. Cleaned and dried root canals are tightly filled with filling material (if necessary, the quality of the filling is checked by x-ray). When running the inflammatory process, the treatment may consist of two phases with the installation of the first temporary and then permanent seal.
Devital surgical method of treatment of pulpitis
To eliminate the sensitivity of the nerve is laid a special paste, consisting of arsenious acid or other drug that kills nerve tissue. The treatment procedure consists of two stages. During the first visit under local anesthesia carious cavity is cleaned from the affected tissue inflammation, is washed with antiseptic. After opening the pulp chamber to lay her healing paste and install a temporary filling.
After some time (depending on the drug, the interval between visits may range 3-14 days) is the final stage of the procedure. The doctor removes the neuro-vascular bundle, cleans the tooth cavity and root canals, disinfect them with antiseptic. After removing moisture of the prepared surface are filled with a filling.
The use of laser therapy
Effect on inflamed tissue nerve laser radiation allows to eliminate the infection and restore the affected pulp. Especially effective this method of treatment in acute focal pulpitis. The heat generated by the light flux, improves metabolism, relieves pain and inflammation, promotes cell regeneration. After cauterization of the pulp on the tooth temporary filling is set. For some time monitored state of the tissue. If there is no recurrence of the disease is a permanent seal.