Is it possible to brush your teeth baking soda: benefits and harms
Many people, faced with the problem of darkening of the enamel of the teeth, the question arises: is it possible to brush your teeth baking soda? The answer is ambiguous, since the use of sodium bicarbonate has not only positive but also negative sides. Therefore, when you use baking soda for teeth whitening you must follow certain rules. Consider what benefits and harm it can bring.
The positive effect of soda
In medicine, cooking and cosmetology properties of baking soda have been used for many years. This is an inexpensive tool that is, in any home.
Benefits of sodium bicarbonate:
- The antiseptic properties. Having alkaline reaction, baking soda inhibits the vital activity of pathogenic microorganisms causing inflammation in the tissues of the mouth.
- The crystal structure of the powder produces an abrasive effect well cleaning the surface of various materials, including tooth enamel.
- Sodium bicarbonate has antihistamine properties, eliminating irritation and preventing the development of allergic reactions.
- The use of baking soda for brushing your teeth helps to eliminate bad breath.
The negative impact of soda on dental health
Dental care should not only be thorough, but also safe to the enamel — the top layer of bone, thinning or destruction of which leads to unpleasant consequences. In order to understand, is it harmful to clean the plaque and darkened areas soda you need to pay attention to the adverse effect of this means:
- If brushing your teeth with baking soda is often, removed the surface layer of tooth enamel. The result is increased sensitivity to cold and hot, increasing the risk of tooth decay.
- Slow down the processes of tissue regeneration, so the healing of wounds and any other damage present in the oral cavity, will be long.
- The whitening effect when using sodium bicarbonate is retained for a short time, so you will need to repeat the procedure very often.
- The soda helps to remove only the surface dirt of the teeth, but a thick plaque or Tartar to remove it not able. These would have to resort to professional cleaning or bleaching the darkened sections of the dentition.
- There are conditions under which to brush your teeth with baking soda is contraindicated during the period of pregnancy and breastfeeding, in the presence of gastro-intestinal diseases, during recovery after surgery.
- Sodium bicarbonate can act on the mucous membrane irritant, causing bleeding and sore gums.
How to make a whitening procedure more gentle
Is it possible to brush your teeth with baking soda every day? Dentists do not recommend using this method of whitening a tooth surface more than 1 time a week in order not to harm your health. There are simple rules, which allows to protect the procedure.
How to brush your teeth with baking soda:
- do not use sodium bicarbonate in pure form, add it to other components;
- after the procedure, carefully rinse your mouth with clean water;
- strengthen tooth enamel by eating foods with a high content of calcium and fluorine, not less useful to use toothpaste, composed of these minerals;
- avoid taking hot and cold food or drink for 1 hour after using baking soda.
Methods of use of sodium bicarbonate when brushing your teeth
There are 4 methods of usage of baking soda for whitening the tooth surface. Each of them has its own characteristics, is more or less gentle that allows you to choose the most suitable method or to alternate them with each other.
The use in powder form
How to brush your teeth with baking soda, without changing its normal consistency, — moisten a cotton pad or pads of the index and middle fingers, apply a powder and wipe his teeth. The disadvantage is the increased abrasive action of the powdered soda. In addition, there may be signs of irritation on damaged crystals the gums.
The use of a concentrated aqueous solution
Add in a teaspoon of water this amount of sodium bicarbonate, which it can dissolve. Saturate the resulting solution one of the sides of the cotton pad and treat their teeth. Compared with the previous method is a more gentle way of cleaning tooth enamel.
Cooking pasta with sodium bicarbonate
Mix the toothpaste with a little baking soda, apply on the brush and use the usual brushing. To reduce the negative impact of the bleaching process will help the selection of toothpaste that contains fluoride and other minerals.
The combination of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide or lemon juice
To enhance the bleaching properties of the used tools you can brush your teeth with a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and 3% hydrogen peroxide. A thick solution of these substances should be applied to the teeth using a cotton swab, RUB it to the surface for 1-2 minutes and rinse with water. The composition should not get on gums. Also a high whitening activity has an aqueous soda solution containing 3-4 drops of lemon juice. Such means is not desirable to apply more than 1 time per month, as they can cause thinning of tooth enamel.
What are methods of whitening teeth at home
To clean plaque and whiten the surface of teeth and applying other people’s methods. When using alternative means need to consider that they all have a negative effect on enamel, so to perform the procedure should be very carefully and accurately.
Powdered activated carbon
Activated charcoal tablets need to pound into powder. The smaller will be the particles, the better it will protect the tooth enamel from damage. Dentifrice powder is applied to the brush at the end to check the cleaning of the normal paste.
Whitening crushed berries
Strawberries (strawberries) should be made in a blender into a homogeneous slurry, apply a thin layer on the brush and brush your teeth. Then rinse them with berry juice. These components contain acid which contributes to the destruction of the enamel, so to finish the procedure preferably further treated teeth with fluoride toothpaste.
Infusion of birch leaves
For infusions half a Cup of dried birch leaves brewed with boiling water. The tool then should be left for infusion for 30 minutes. When brushing your teeth brush moistened with infusion and a flapping mouth. To obtain significant results it is necessary to carry out the procedure twice a day for a month.
It is better to use charcoal, obtained by burning lime wood. It is thoroughly crushed and gently rubbed into the surface of the teeth. After the procedure, you need to rinse your mouth with water.
Pharmacy remedies for teeth whitening
The use of any folk remedies for teeth whitening due to the risk of damaging their cover of tooth enamel. The alternative, they are drugs produced by pharmaceutical companies: a variety of gels, trays, pencils, strips. They are less harmful than baking soda. But before applying the pharmacy means you should also consult a specialist to pick the drug that will provide the best effect with minimal damage to the teeth.
Safest to use special whitening toothpastes. The composition of these assets include an abrasive substance, in some cases, it is soda, but the particles are so small that their effect on thins the enamel is minimized. Usually small yellow or bluish tint of the teeth are not abnormal and is due to genetic factors. On the other hand, whitening allows you to smile is dazzling and add confidence.