Is it possible to correct the bite in 30 years: braces after thirty
Now meet the man with even dentition, proper occlusion is very rare. All because in childhood parents often simply do not consider it necessary to show the child’s orthodontist. And after 30 years would like to correct the bite, but the overwhelming majority of people think that it is impossible. Whether so it actually? Let’s deal!
Why malocclusion must be corrected?
Anomalies of the teeth, irregular shape of the dental arches and series of pathologic occlusion – all this becomes the root cause:
- multiple cavities;
- development of gingivitis, periodontitis;
- changes in the joint (temporomandibular);
- muscular dysfunction.
Also do not forget that the dental system is in close connection with the spine and the digestive tract. Therefore, very often in violation of occlusion in parallel, there are headaches, stiffness in the cervical spine, the symptoms of dyspepsia.
The optimal time for orthodontic correction
Undoubtedly, the best time for orthodontic treatment is puberty, or, as it is called, «the peak of pubertal growth.» Many pediatricians are individual cards, which indicate the growth, the child’s body weight percentage compared to the norms (according to age and gender). These maps help to clearly identify a growth spurt. Objective benchmarks to determine the optimal period when it is possible to correct the bite, are as follows:
- menarche in girls;
- change of voice in boys;
- the level of ossification of the hands;
- the morphology of the cervical vertebrae.
It is important to note that chronological age, the development of dentoalveolar apparatus, the sequence of teething is the data, which are subjective information to take with them is impossible.
Peak of skeletal growth is of particular value for orthodontists, as this time can be spent not only effectively move teeth, but to affect growth of the facial structures. And by modifying growth fails to correct the bite, complex dentofacial anomalies to the fullest extent possible. And most importantly: tends to shift the teeth in the same position is minimal. Hence the retainers need to be fixed only for a certain period and not for life, as happens, for example, in the treatment of older people.
Patients after 30 years: key motivating factors
All patients after the age of thirty years depending on their motivation can be divided into 3 categories:
- The majority of people want to correct the bite because of unsatisfactory aesthetic component. The main goal – a beautiful and harmonious smile.
- The second group are the people in the foreground which is functionality. Often these patients can be problems with the joint (clicking, crepitation), headaches. They turn to the dentist, therapist or prosthetist for help, and they have sent for consultation to the orthodontist.
- 3 categories of people and orthopedic patients who prosthetics are shown only after orthodontic treatment. For example, the removal of the first molar in childhood without subsequent substitution of the defect leads to a shift of the seventh teeth medially. And if a person goes for dental prosthetics after 30 years, without the help of an orthodontist to conduct high-quality treatment is almost impossible.
Orthodontic treatment at an older age
So, is it possible to correct the bite in 30 years? Now orthodontics has no age restrictions. In the days when braces have not used (in Russia began to be used only in 1990), to correct the bite was only in children with plates. In adults, after skeletal growth such correction was ineffective. Now orthodontic treatment at any age.
Only modification of growth of skeletal structures to achieve will not succeed. Correction will take place at the expense of the dento-alveolar displacement, or, as orthodontists, «will be held camouflage». Also, very often to achieve the desired result braces after 30 years must be put together with additional devices.
In older age more urgent is the question about the removal of teeth due to a lack of space. But in each clinical situation, your approach, the final decision is made by the patient. Doctor’s task is to inform as fully as possible, explaining all the pros and cons of any method of treatment.
Micrognathia surgery is closely tied to orthodontics. So, for example, patients after 30 years with a massive lower jaw, the reverse tooth overlap, correct bite, to achieve the desired aesthetic results can often only through surgical intervention.
There are some contraindications to orthodontic treatment.
Consider them in detail:
- Periodontitis, periodontal disease.
- Cancer of the disease.
- Mental disorder.
- Severe blood diseases.
- Osteoporosis, osteomalacia.
- HIV / AIDS infection.
Diseases listed above are absolute contraindication for correction. But whether or not to continue treatment if the diagnosis correction already started? In this case, orthodontic appliances must be removed before the onset of remission period.
Except there are absolute and relative contraindications.
- In bronchial asthma the possible complications can be resorption of the roots. So every 6 months patients should undergo radiological control for determining the structure of bone tissue.
- The bleeding disorder is dangerous to the development of profuse bleeding. Need to avoid treatment with the extraction of teeth.
- Rheumatoid arthritis affects and temporomandibular joint. Patients showed regular supervision of the dentist in detecting signs of severe degeneration treatment is carried out in conjunction with the maxillofacial surgeon.
- In epilepsy due to medication occurs hypertrophy of the gums. Therefore, in order to correct the bite of patients need be observed by a periodontist and orthodontist at the same time.
- If diagnosed with endocarditis, to put braces, orthodontic rings is possible after antibiotic therapy.
The choice of the optimal correction technique
Now the market orthodontic products are well represented: braces, aligners, invisible lingual system. If important functionality, the best option would be ligature bracket system.
The pluses of this treatment:
- Low coefficient of friction between the arc and the groove facilitates the rapid movement of teeth.
- Metal braces are more resistant to external impact. When ressentiront you can capture the same plate.
- Low cost.
A large assortment of metallic systems opens the doctor’s extensive technical capabilities to achieve the desired clinical result.
A more modern method of correction is self-ligating appliances.
Strengths self-ligating braces:
- The reduction in the frequency of visits and duration of General treatment by 20%.
- The use of passive ligation allows movement of teeth using low forces to the maximum physiological. This significantly reduces the risk of possible complications.
- Exquisite design, small size, smooth external profile bracket system – all this facilitates the adaptation period.
- The lack of actual retention method improves the quality of hygiene of the oral cavity.
For people who want to align the dentition, normal occlusion imperceptibly, a good choice will be the following design:
- This is the most affordable option in the line of aesthetic braces.
- Smooth surface minimizes the chance of damage to the mucosa.
- No metal component in the composition reduces the risk of galvanize.
- Thanks to optimally matched to the color of ceramics, plates almost invisible on the teeth.
- Due to increased friction force between the arch and groove treatment lasts a little longer than when using metal systems. To avoid this, you can choose self-ligating design, where the body of the bracket is made of ceramics, and groove metal.
- Absolute transparency of design is achieved through the use of a single crystal of synthetic sapphire.
- Does not change color when exposed to pigments of food.
- Performance in complex clinical situations inferior metal counterparts.
- Long-term treatment, the fragility of the disadvantages of this system.
- Plates are fixed on the inner surface of the teeth, making them completely invisible to others.
- Can be used in musicians playing wind instruments.
- Contraindicated in high degree of crowding, low crown, problems with the joint.
- More long-term treatment, problems with diction, the difficulty in the hygienic cleaning, sore tongue – the main problem faced by people while choosing this technique of correction.
- Is a transparent cap that is made of biosilicon or bioplastics.
- Are made to print, so they are considered as individual design.
- There are no restrictions on the nature of food intake, as during the meal the tray is removed.
- The risks of tooth decay is minimized.
- More complex clinical situations require the use of traditional treatment techniques.
For those who are planning to put the braces in 30 years, we have to remember that in order to achieve a stable result after removal, be sure the retainer is shown. Depending on the initial situation (alignment of dentition or corrected bite) can be used metal arc, which is fixed with the inner surface of the teeth, or Capa. Often older people doctors recommend to wear a retainer throughout life.
What method of treatment is better to choose an orthodontist decides on the basis of specific clinical picture, data of additional methods of diagnostics. If the patient has no absolute contraindications to the correction, correction of bite, alignment of the dentition can be carried out at any age.