Lingual braces: invisible inner system
When it comes to malocclusion, the first thing he thinks the patient is in the office of orthodontist — for a couple of years will have to forget about the aesthetics of their own smile. Meanwhile, the solution was invented at the end of last century — is lingual braces. Such a system is a structure with fastening on the inner side of the jaw — from the Latin lingua, meaning “language”. Invisible braces are becoming increasingly popular due to modern models. They spare you from such inconvenience, such as changes in diction or problems with food intake that existed previously.
Features of lingual braces
The main difference of this design from the vestibular is that it’s mounted on is hidden from the eyes of others the tooth surface is the inner braces. First, small plates are attached with special glue to the molars, then they are fixed between them by threading the arc through the required slots.
Throughout the treatment period there is a planned replacement of the arc. It was originally the element with the maximum degree of elasticity and a circular cross section, then the required increase in its diameter. At the final stage of installing arc already with a square profile. Mount — on the 6-th or 7-th molars with orthodontic rings are equipped with locks.
But what is lingual braces in terms of daily use? Experts voiced month period as the maximum period of adaptation. The system does not cause any difficulties — it may be profuse salivation, the probability of prokusyvanie language, discomfort from the foreign object in the mouth.
Types of braces invisible
Today on the market there are 2 main varieties of lingual orthodontic appliances — braces, with the inner side attached due to the self-latching mechanism in the model by fixing each of the molar of special snaps. The first group is referred to as self-ligating or self-regulating, second — ligature.
Despite the fact that such braces are internal and invisible to others, many prefer the most aesthetic materials. But due to the lower coefficient of friction that is metal models guarantee the fastest and most stable result.
Benefits of internal braces
Let’s start with the reasons for the choice in favor of lingual structures such braces on the teeth have their own positive characteristics:
- A high degree of efficiency. The system is recommended for installation even in the most difficult cases that can’t handle more traditional vestibular models;
- Aesthetics. Internal braces can hide the fact of orthodontic treatment and, of course, avoid the associated psychological discomfort;
- Atraumatic. The surface of the gums, cheeks and lips is not in contact with the design, so the risk of damage is absent;
- A gentle effect on the enamel. As you know, the outer part of the crown are more prone to carious processes, and the use of braces on the outer side of the jaw difficult to care for their teeth. Lingual models shooting this problem, that does not negate adherence to preventive measures;
- Hypoallergenic. Internal braces made of gold, can put patients prone to allergic reactions, again, without experiencing negative emotions.
Disadvantages of lingual models
In the study of the negative aspects of braces of this type naturally, they have the disadvantages inherent in any system. For example, there is a need of regular monitoring by the orthodontist or initial difficulties with diction. So we are talking about the difficulties that can cause that is lingual braces:
- Rubbing language. Design affects the lips and cheeks, but from damage of the tongue the patient is not insured for at least the first month of wearing;
- Complicated installation. This technique became widely implemented in our country, which find specializing in orthodontists is not so easy;
- Long addiction. Installing of lingual braces is half the battle, after the first stage is usually a one-month adaptation period. This is due to the location of the dental structure in the vicinity of the tongue;
- Cost. The same vestibular models, the price is much lower if you are interested in is lingual, braces for one jaw can have minimal cost in the amount of about 40 to 190 thousand rubles.
The most popular design
System for teeth straightening to mount on the inner side of the jaw had appeared in 80-ies of the 20th century. Today, there are four main manufacturers in the market producing the most popular models:
- STB (ORMCO). Used material — medical steel, Nickel-titanium alloy. Has a small size and snaps, pressed to the surface of teeth. As a result, the system provides high wearing comfort, but small adhesion area often becomes a cause of peeling elements;
- It is also compact in size and invisible to the eye example self-ligating braces. The value in this model along with other more democratic;
- Made in Germany by individual parameters of the patient, high cost and the maximum degree of comfort in operation. Clasps hypoallergenic, since they are made from an alloy of gold;
- InOvation L (GAC). These internal braces are made of gold, titanium, Nickel. Designed to eliminate the fairly strong changes in the bite.
How to install
Earlier it was mentioned that the installation of lingual braces is complicated. It is expressed primarily in several different steps in such a process, which should be considered in detail.
The preparatory phase
Choosing the lingual braces, the patient must understand that it will take considerable time to manufacture the system. Often have to do clasps in accordance with the individual parameters of each tooth, given the slightest features, and the degree of curvature and crowding of the molars. On the other hand, it guarantees the expected result of treatment.
In this case, a preparatory stage, what is it?
- The sanitation of the oral cavity. That is, the removal of Tartar, treatment of caries and other diseases, particularly periodontal;
- The x-rays. The procedure is familiar, but the presence of diseases of the endocrine system stands alone to take care of the security measures. Also highly undesirable procedure for pregnant women;
- Implementation of the cast. This is one of the most important stages, on which depends the final result.
- The manufacturer of the system. The prototype becomes the previously made mold, made copies for future brackets of wax, then it all fits together and filled with plaster. After melting the wax the void is filled with gold and other metal, is to produce the arc.
The installation procedure is as follows — first, the pads are placed on broad molars (sixes), they are connected by a bridge, and then they are fixed directly to the internal braces. The lower jaw is in priority — only after two weeks of wearing the system, you can talk about work with the top part for the month must be a full adaptation.
The question of how to wear the device installed in each specific case individually. During this time the patient should regularly visit the orthodontist office for a checkup and other kinds of events to ensure proper course of treatment. It’s usually 6-8 visits, the first positive changes are observed not earlier than three months from the start of therapy.
After the removal of the structure should be at least an important period to consolidate the effect. About six months are assigned to the trays, retainers, continue to adjust the state of the molars.
What determines the time of wearing braces
Speaking about personalized course of treatment using braces legalnogo type, takes into account a number of specific factors. It’s a few basic things:
- The complexity of the clinical picture — the volume of necessary activities.
- Qualification of the assistance provided — the professionalism of the orthodontist to a large extent depends on the result;
- The responsible approach of the patient to implementation of these recommendations, including the observance of special diet, proper oral hygiene and regular visits to a specialist;
- The age factor is not decisive, but don’t forget, the later begins therapy, the longer time it requires.
Who should abandon lingual braces
Contraindications that you should know before installing these structures, of course, sounded even at the first appointment at the orthodontist. These include:
- The high degree of crowding of the molars;
- Overly narrow jaw, making it difficult getting used to the braces installed;
- The height of the crowns below the standard;
- Gum disease requiring prolonged treatment;
- Problems in the temporomandibular joint;
- Diseases accompanied by allergic manifestations;
- Unstable mental state, in particular, the possibility of an epileptic seizure.
Also put braces legalnogo type is not recommended for children under 11 years and those patients who are unable to provide the appropriate level of dental care throughout the course of treatment. This implies the use of special orthodontic brushes, as well as irrigators, are great and serve after the expiration of the therapy.
The cost of treatment
As already noted, the lingual structures require more monetary investment than the more traditional vestibular. For each region of Russia has its own pricing policy, so to compare is difficult. Depending on the model of one jaw of “turnkey” it will take from 40 to 190 thousand rubles, if you round up. And pay you will need the following:
- Manufacturer of braces;
- Fixing of locks;
- Scheduled checkups at the orthodontist;
- The removal of the structure upon completion of the course;
- The use of retainers to secure the result.
Given the high likelihood of the predicted effect with the use of lingual braces and the lack of serious flaws, we can safely recommend such structures. In the long term due to the shorter course of treatment, you can talk about the profitability of their use.