Lingual braces: what is it, cost, and installation, photos, reviews
The shy patients agree only on lingual braces. What is it, what is their cost and installation, can tell you more. As well as provide photos before and after treatment and feedback from people with experience wearing them.
An uneven bite and crooked teeth standing can spoil the General impression about a person when meeting. And sometimes such violations even lead to various ailments and problems of the digestive tract. To get rid of the defects, given by nature, need to use modern bracket systems.
Features of lingual braces
First understand, what is it? Translated from the Latin «lingua» meaning «tongue». Therefore, doctors have given these structures the name, because they are located on the inner surface of the dentition, closer to the language. This is their main difference from the standard classic.
How it works design? The whole system is similar to normal options – a plate attached to the teeth, grooves and locks for fixation of the arc, which performs the main pressure on the jaw in the desired direction. As treatment, the doctor periodically changes the arc and its position for a more true and accurate correction. Bearing attached to the sixth or seventh one.
Due to the secrecy of the location of the patients they are called «invisible», as even installing metallic or gold design, they won’t be seen while communicating or smiling. Because the whole system is mounted on the inner part of the jaw and is small in size.
The pros and cons
Due to the nature of the location and some other nuances of the system, allocate such benefits of lingual braces in front of the others:
- increased efficiency, they are able to change complicated cases of bite, even when such other structures not do it;
- completely invisible to prying eyes;
- the success of the correction is visible after a short period of time;
- thanks to sophisticated modular system, all elements are independently of each other, but constitute a single entity;
- fairly rapid process of adaptation, which ends in two weeks after the installation of the structure;
- the availability of treatment even for professional athletes or musicians.
But you need to understand that with all the pros and cons are:
- same small dimensions of the plates, giving more convenience to operate, can turn into disadvantages – due to the small size of the fasteners they easily disappear;
- the installation process is very long and is difficult, the doctor must have high skills in this business;
- the first days or even weeks difficult to talk, because all the elements are in close proximity with the language that takes some getting used to;
- due to the internal arrangement is much more complicated treatment of the teeth and braces.
- as with other orthodontic structures, for legalnogo type need to give up hard and sticky foods that can damage them;
- for professional cleaning and careful control of the treatment process need to frequently and regularly visit the dentist;
- many are confused by the cost of products.
The before and after photos
Kinds of designs
If we talk about the General kinds of system, it is necessary to distinguish two main ones:
- Simple ligature — when to commit the use of a special thread, on the one hand, helping to keep the system, on the other hand, such elements are quickly deteriorating and the doctor often changes.
- Self – apply where special arrangements with self-latching and self-adjusting locks.
But the models from different firms have their own features:
- Incognito – though considered the most expensive option of lingual braces, but they are worth it. Because this design is very easy to use, takes into account all the individual characteristics of the patient, which greatly accelerates the process of adaptation. Material for their manufacture is often gold.
- Forestadent 2d more simple, flat design with self-ligating bracket. However, its use is recommended only in cases of mild defects, but the principle they are based on a natural correction due to the effect on the jaw muscles.
- In-Ovation L is the products of the American company GAC on the basis of the self-ligating system. They are easy to install, and alloys of gold, Nickel and titanium are well tolerated by healthy tissues. But their installation should be designed certain conditions that the doctor must consider.
- Stb – produced by the American company ORMCO. Due to the small locks, they have a high criteria convenience when wearing. But as the main material used alloy of titanium and Nickel, or special medical steel. This gives you the opportunity in a short time efficiently to correct the bite and tooth position.
The entire process of creating lingual braces takes a little time and is relatively simple. But in order to determine the exact location of each element and to simulate the future ideal state of the bite, the doctor needs high experience, knowledge and care.
- First make a mold of the jaw of the patient in full, to be able to think carefully about a plan of correction.
- In the lab on this print make a working model and provide the ideal layout of each unit, which will tend to the treatment process.
- Already the comparison of the two options made the most suitable wax copies of the braces. Each plate separately create the locking clasps.
- To obtain the ideal of designs, wax copies of the braces are placed on the model and coated with plaster.
- Melt the wax, the doctor fills the resulting space with gold or other material, which will be made braces. Because of this, they precisely fit the individual structure of the patient’s jaws.
- In parallel with this, with the help of computer programs make the arc shape and location of which calculate to the millimeter.
In order to deliver to the patient a full design defect-use the special mouth guard.
The installation of lingual braces
Because the fastening of each plate on the inner surface of the tooth is a fairly complicated process, it takes a lot of time. After all, it is necessary not just to secure each item, and position it very precisely for maximum effectiveness of treatment.
List the main stages of the installation of lingual braces:
- Sanitation of all surfaces in a patient’s mouth. After all, to wear a complicated construction which complicates hygiene procedures, it is necessary not one year. Therefore, it is important to clean the mouth from all the bacteria, plaque and Tartar, treat diseased teeth, put a quality seal.
- Conducting x-ray diagnostics, in which are installed the main causes of the curvature of the dentition, jaw structure and availability of correction one way or another.
- One of the most important stages – the removal of casts, the quality of which will then influence the accuracy of manufacturing system and correct the treatment process.
- In the laboratory we create all the elements strictly by individual casts. For each plate make special locks, fully meet the needs of the patient.
- For ease of installation the doctor lays special retractors to the man was easy to keep my mouth open all the time. First attach the base braces to the sixth unit and only then proceed to the fixing of each plate. It is important that the correction of all teeth, first set the braces on the bottom, and only two weeks later on the upper jaw. This is done for ease of adjustment.
For full control over the treatment process may need to visit a doctor up to 8 times for the entire period. After we remove the braces, is the result of consolidation with retention cap How to wear them? Usually, up to six months, so the effect of treatment is not distorted.
Not all and not always it is possible to adjust the bite using lingual braces. Some contraindications are partial and temporary, by eliminating them you can start treatment, but others permanent and definitive:
- narrow jaw when the patient has no ability to adapt to established structures;
- the crooked teeth that will not allow you to place each element correctly;
- too low height of the crown, which also limits the space for plates;
- periodontal disease;
- problems in the functioning of the temporomandibular apparatus;
- the tendency to allergic reactions, especially on the composition of the used alloys;
- mental illness;
- children up to age 11 years, when has not grown permanent teeth and formed natural bite;
- the absolute disregard for hygiene of the oral cavity of the patient;
- bruxism (night teeth grinding);
Video: lingual braces are one of the keys to his confidence.
The nuances of care
In connection with the arrangement of the plates, and locks with the inner side of the dentition, to get to them in the course of daily hygienic treatment is not easy. To fully comply with the clean tooth surfaces and designs, doctors recommend the use of special brushes instead of brushes, electric counterparts, irrigators, floss and toothpicks.
Treating the oral cavity preferably after each meal, thoroughly cleaning all components and interdental space from the remnants of food. Should periodically visit the dentist for a professional hygiene, so as to make it virtually impossible.
Read more about this in the article: how to properly care for braces?
How much are these systems? They are considered to be quite expensive models, as the material used most often it is gold or titanium, manufacturer is strictly individual, and the installation is very complicated. Provide average prices in Moscow:
- to create lingual braces for one jaw costs about 60 thousand rubles;
- set it to 20,000;
- every preventive medical examination and monitoring of treatment is carried out at a cost of 5 thousand;
- final removal design will cost 4000 rubles;
- a retention system for fastening the achieved result is worth 6000.
Although in each case it is necessary to specify such rates in the clinic where you are going to treat. In addition, there are diverse approaches to the cost of treatments and products, variety of models, and even some clinics offer shares when a patient can establish a similar design inexpensive or in installments.
Didn’t want to become noticeable that I am wearing braces. But to change the position of some teeth is very necessary. So I decided to pay more, but to get a correctional system that is invisible to others.
I needed to correct the malocclusion. So the doctor advised model Incognito, as a shorter time to cope with severe defects. And I do six months later started noticing major results.
I had to choose between a sapphire and lingual options. Agreed on the second, since they are generally invisible. But they’re hard to get used to, still the language of the locks for a long time had had to talk slowly in order to pronounce sounds correctly.
Too late drew attention to problems with the bite. Had to correct it in adulthood, when I go to work and appearance is quite important. So choose the least noticeable braces that does not interfere with daily working communication.
Parents gave me such structures on both jaws. Had a bit of hard time, so as to speak was uncomfortable and certain foods refused. But a half later, I have perfect smile and I’m not shy to communicate with people.