Lockjaw the jaw and masticatory muscles: how to cure?
With the right approach to the treatment of lockjaw the jaw and chewing muscles, to resolve this problem is not difficult. It is important to listen to the body, a symptom of disease might be feeling details jaw.
The disease is painful and specific, the patient is unable to open his mouth resulting in movement of the lower jaw be impossible.
Description of the disease
What is lockjaw? This tonic spasm of the masticatory muscles, which appears due to irritation or destruction of the nuclei of the trigeminal nerve of the brain.
There are two kinds of lockjaw:
- Two-sided (bilateral) – most common, the lower jaw is pulled back, tightly clinging to the top. The patient is unable to speak due to the inability to open the mouth through tightly clenched teeth, the problem arises of the meal, often it is necessary to introduce nutrient solution intravenously. This species occurs in the case of infectious and neurological diseases.
- Unilateral – occurs because of inflammation or injuries associated with the left or right jaw joint when opening the mouth the lower jaw is shifted to the affected side, face contorted.
The main symptom is a strong tension of the masticatory and temporal muscles, they are sealed and are swollen: from both sides for two-sided prism, with one side when unilateral.
The occurrence of lockjaw is characteristic of abnormalities, leading to reflex irritation or lesion of the trigeminal nerve. Spasm is associated not only with inflammation of the oral cavity, but also with systemic diseases.
There are the main factors leading to the emergence of the disease:
- inflammation of the periodontal tissues, the temporomandibular joint, the jaw;
- dislocation or fracture of the lower jaw;
- neurosis of the trigeminal nerve;
- hemorrhage in the brain or it is the same tumor;
- complications from anesthesia or surgery;
- inflammation of the periosteum of the lower jaw;
- inflammation of the masticatory muscles due to running pulpitis or caries;
- arthrosis of the temporomandibular joint.
Also lockjaw may arise from a strong blow to the jaw or due to a sudden dousing the face with cold water. You should listen to your body, because lockjaw may indicate the early stages of tetanus or rabies.
Increased risk of disease if:
- pseudobulbar palsy;
- cerebrospinal meningitis;
- subarachnoid hemorrhage.
In addition to the above, there is a risk of spasm of the jaw gistaminovogo after removal of wisdom teeth or stroke.
Localization lockjaw is divided into:
- unilateral – only appears on the left or right side, occurs in consequence of injury or inflammation;
- bilateral (symmetrical) – common in other diseases.
Lockjaw jaw is accompanied by a full or partial spasm of the medial pterygoid, temporal and masticatory muscles. This condition is accompanied by:
- sharp pain after trying to unclench your teeth;
- an inability to open the mouth fully;
- seal, tension and swelling of the affected muscles.
If you encounter problems of temporal and masticatory muscles are very tense, so much so, that on touch become very hard. Temporomandibular joint is immovable, the teeth are firmly clenched, the patient is unable to open his mouth, causing impaired speech and respiration.
Lockjaw tremendously affects the mental state of the patient. Failures begin in the meals, as a consequence of the impossibility of disclosing the mouth with them, and in the gastrointestinal tract and digestive system as a whole. If treatment is long delayed, everything else the patient may to exhaustion.
Depending on the scale of the defeat doctors are accustomed to distinguish three degrees of lockjaw chewing muscles:
- easy – the patient able to open mouth on 3-4 cm;
- medium – mouth open for 1-2 cm;
- heavy jaw expands 1 cm and less.
Schematically lockjaw jaw looks like this:
How to cure lockjaw?
With the installation of the diagnosis it is important to distinguish lockjaw from other problems, as sometimes the mouth impossible to open due to inflammatory processes of the mandible or fracture. Besides, osteoarthritis of the temporomandibular joint the same symptoms.
Treatment options depend on the cause of the disease, this damaged area the patient receives a Botox injection.
Treatment of lockjaw depends on the nature of the disease, if it is a symptom of the existing disease, primarily engaged in repairing the root of the problem.
- if you experience lockjaw for neurotic reasons, prescribe sedative drugs (bromides, Valerian);
- if the disease is a consequence of the inflammatory process, take the means to eliminate the consequences of injury or source of infection (sulfa drugs, antibiotics; carry out immobilization of the jaw and physical therapy);
- the drugs prescribed for the treatment of spasm of the masticatory muscles, reduce muscle tone and affect the nervous system.
During the treatment of subcutaneous fluids, and artificial food intake in the body as the patient needs to get as many nutrients. Long-term treatment of lockjaw, the patient was placed in a hospital.
To develop the mobility of the lower jaw, the patient is also prescribed as mandatory exercises.
Video: massage of the masticatory muscles for the prevention of lockjaw
► Code for ICD-10
Code of the disease according to the International classification of Diseases R25.2.