Maxillo-facial surgeon: what heals and what does he do?
In some cases you need to contact the doctor as maxillofacial surgeon. Let’s deal with the fact that he treats and what he does, so that if necessary you can immediately visit a doctor.
Pathology and disease are very different. In most cases, dental defects or problems of the gums does the dentist, but a number of diseases have to be treated together with maxillofacial surgeon, responsibility and experience which sometimes become quite important when restoring the appearance of the face.
Who is a maxillofacial surgeon?
This doctor combines the partial operation of a dentist and a plastic surgeon. So, for dental work it has to do with the correction of so-called impacted tooth or in cases of misuse of its location, tilt, and other pathologies. Usually it is for «eights», defects and anomalies which are more common than among the other teeth.
In comparison with the plastic, it cures the pathology of the facial skeleton and various related problems. For example, a tumor is malignant or benign, strain of the bone to be corrected and corrected with the surgeon.
Since the face, jaw and neck are areas that can be seen all around, and aesthetically, they should conform to the highest criteria. But it often happens that by nature or because of other features appear visible defects, problems, inflammation associated with the front part are noticeable to the outside eye, but can sometimes leave behind a visible trail. Correct them exactly.
This region is characterized by one important feature – it has lots of nerve endings and blood vessels, and therefore almost all medical manipulations related to it cause acute pain and disease leave a noticeable deformation.
A doctor becomes a very important and delicate, because here there are many bodies that can easily catch careless movements.
When it should turn?
Usually by this specialist guide other doctors, such as dentists or therapists who know that a specific defect, treats maxillofacial surgeon. Most often these situations are:
- Periodontitis – when the patient feels severe pain associated with pressure on nerve endings. At this time, the teeth in the affected area changes its shade and become loose.
- The abscess after extraction of remained root or bit of it, and it provokes inflammation that extends to the entire jaw. Thus there is a seal in the gums, and then the problem can go on the area of the soft tissues of the face.
- Osteomyelitis of the jaw – nekrotizirovanne pulp very quickly leads to infection and inflammation of the jawbone if it is not time to remove. As a result, the patient feels a strong throbbing pain in the teeth, also he had a headache, manifested by chills and fever.
- Abscess – purulent accumulations of various etiologies. If the disease reaches of purulent secretions in the soft tissues, it is also accompanied by increased body temperature, General weakness, headaches, unpleasant odor and other symptoms.
- Lymphadenitis – inflammation of lymph nodes in colocolostomy region that is displayed on the state of the mouth, pharynx, etc.
What tests need to pass when applying?
A visit to almost every doctor leads to testing. Indeed, thanks to data collected with their help, you can more accurately establish the diagnosis, intensity of disease and other features of the patient. In addition to diagnostic purposes, they also help to determine the correct therapeutic tactics, to choose necessary medicines or manipulations. When you visit a maxillofacial surgeon should be taken:
- General analysis of blood;
- the analysis of urine.
In some situations, a scraping of skin from affected area or go through hormonal tests. In each case, the doctor will determine what results he needed to complete the picture. Also for diagnostic purposes may be required to carry out x-rays of the jaw area, MRI, CT, radioviziografichesky procedure or imaging.
What doctor treats this?
Work maxillofacial surgeon is not limited by the diseases of the oral cavity or lymph nodes. His work can be divided into two types of urgency:
- Planned diseases or congenital defects, who are treated gradually with a full examination prior referral from other professionals. These include the above mentioned diseases, congenital abnormalities of the structure of the jaw, tumors, complications after suffering inflammation. Such problems require surgical intervention and the patient gradually ready for this.
- Urgent, acute and emergency. For example, when a person gets into an accident, gets injured in the workplace, after a car accident, attacks, or other accidents. If this affects in any way the front part of the jaw, neck and required immediate intervention by the surgeon for the correction of appearance or restoration of the chewing function, respiration, etc.
To become a patient of this expert can be any person both adult and child. For example, a congenital anomaly such as cleft lip or cleft palate require intervention at a very early age.
What does a maxillofacial surgeon and what does he do?
To briefly convey the complexity of this skill, you need to see the scope of its activities completely. So, this includes examination of the patient, medical history and other diagnostic results, diagnosis, treatment and monitoring the patient throughout the healing process and prevention of many diseases and the prevention of defects.
Problems that require such surgical intervention may be the following:
- of deformation of the facial part of the skull;
- a significant malocclusion that cannot be corrected through orthopaedic constructions;
- inflammation of the jaw bone and soft tissue around it;
- suppurative complications of facial or neck area;
- restoration of maxillofacial bone after injuries or other accidents;
- elimination of various aesthetic defects.
Thanks to modern tools and technology, the surgical process is less painful, it leaves invisible traces, no scars and scarring of tissues.
With minimal morbidity and a low likelihood of side effects maxillofacial surgeon is able to quickly recover and correct a large part of congenital and acquired defects of the mentioned region.
Video: career as a maxillofacial surgeon.
► Where to find a qualified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and as an appointment?
To learn about the availability of such a specialist in the clinic available at the registration Desk. It will direct the treating physician or dentist, stating where to find this doctor in your city. He works mostly in dental clinics, public or private. It is important that he had sufficient experience in carrying out the desired operations. It is worth noting that the larger the city, the easier it is to find a qualified specialist. In some cases, can help patients reviews about the doctor left at the clinic site, or from friends in person.