Mini dental implants: what is, types and prices, reviews
Recently in dentistry appeared mini dental implants. Tell about what it is, what kinds offered on the market, as well as reviews of patients who have tried this new product.
Our success, confidence and pleasant appearance is largely dependent on the health and beauty of the dentition. Smile is able how to impress the interlocutor and to create a pleasant image, and disgust. In addition, the availability of each unit in the mouth implies a quality chewing products, ensures proper functioning of the digestive system. Therefore, implantation has become one of the most popular procedures in dentistry.
What are mini-implants?
These small designs are very similar to the usual classical system, superseding the form and functions of a natural tooth. However, there are a number of differences that significantly affect their application in practice.
Thus, the diameter of mini-implants is very thin, not more than 2 mm, which greatly simplifies the process of installation, and healing of the tissues after the intervention. Survive they are as good as any other implant rods made of medical titanium alloy.
However, the form such systems are more like wood screws, which are easily screwed into the jawbone and are fixed there for a particular purpose. Due to the integrity of the design and thread they are securely held in the living tissues. And after the process of osseointegration, which involves a good the accretion of material with the human bone, does become a solid support for various types of prostheses.
This technology appeared relatively recently, only in 2004, thanks to the work of Dr. Sendaks from the United States. He was looking for ways of quality prosthetics for those patients who, because of atrophy of the alveolar processes, or other reason of their small volume can’t afford to establish reliable implants.
Such innovation gave the opportunity to millions of people to restore the dentition, despite the various anomalies and pathologies in the structure of the jaw. However, their quality and reliability do not differ much from a standard implant, but this procedure is much simpler and easier without causing much discomfort or severe pain.
Though mini-implant, and is considered to be a monolithic product, nevertheless it is necessary to highlight individual elements of the system:
- directly a titanium rod, which is due to the sharp and thin shape easily screwed into the gums without unnecessary incisions;
- superconstructions that is a special kind of mount, located at the bottom of the plate that will be mounted on top of the implant;
- round head, which is a kind of button located on the rod for fixation of removable prostheses;
- rubber ring used as an adapter between the elements;
- the prosthesis, which will be installed on rods for the full recovery of the lost units.
In this simplified implantation it turns out the replacement for the root portion of the tooth, when a titanium-based becoming a reliable base for dentures. This helps to preserve not only the appearance of the smile but also the functionality of the dentition in full.
There are the following features of the mini-implant, which distinguish them from the classical variants:
- a very thin rod;
- its length is also significantly less than most standard models.
- almost the entire implant is a solid monolithic product with no extra fasteners, screws, etc.;
- the operation is much simpler and the healing process shortened to a few weeks;
- the availability of these implants in cases of most of the classic contraindications for the procedure;
- restoration of the dentition occurs in a short session, without the long waiting healing tissue.
As this system is new, not all firms dental implantology has managed to offer its models. Available yet are:
- Mini Dental Implant (MDI) is an American mini-implants for the lower jaw. Due to a special thread that can be implanted even in loose bone. A rubber ring for fixing of removable dentures provide a secure attachment when the divergence of neighboring rods. After a few hours after the operation, you can load them as usual.
- Nobel – Biocare production company, able to restore the dentition even in case of complete atrophy of the bone tissue, are well accustomed. The only models of mini-implants for which the manufacturer gives a guarantee for a period of ten years.
- Xive – German products of the company Friadent. Possess great ability to withstand the full occlusal load. They are placed on the lower and upper jaw. Practically does not cause rejection.
- Zimmer – in addition to titanium alloys, the American manufacturer uses tantalum for the main shaft. This helps them to be more durable and good to take root in tissues. Provide reliable stabilization of the foundations of failure are virtually eliminated. It is their choose to install in the event of such problems of the patient as bruxism.
- Vector TAS – products company ORMCO. In addition to the standard designs of mini-implants, there’s additional elements for them – great ring without thread and special stoppers to protect the gums from injury and hypertrophy in the process of operation. In addition, this system uses wire and color Atlas for additional fastening of orthopedic structures.
Advantages and disadvantages
There are the following advantages of mini implants:
- the main characteristic for which they were created – option to set when poor condition of the alveolar ridge, atrophy or other causes of insufficient size;
- the ease and simplicity of operation, in which there is no need to make a cut in the gums and periosteum, sutures, etc.;
- short period of procedure, setting takes place for half an hour;
- in one session the implant is implanted and fixed removable prosthesis;
- if you need to fix plate on a jaw with a complete absence of teeth, then the bottom row has only four pillars and the top six;
- quality material and well thought-out web form significantly accelerate osseointegration and healing process;
- the procedure cost is much lower than the installation costs of standard designs;
- due to the small size ensures a neat appearance, artificial materials, invisible when smiling and talking;
- when installing the denture the patient can independently remove it and make a simple hygienic care;
- the bone and tissue around are not injured during surgery;
- you can eat within a few hours after the procedure, making a full load at a specified design;
- a small number of contraindications, to install mini-implants is possible even for older people;
- a fairly long lifespan, if used with the right systems and not overloading them.
There are also disadvantages:
- due to the small size they are not suitable as a support for a serious of prostheses, for example, with beam design, these rods are designed only for plastic plates;
- mini-implants can not fully replace the lost unit;
- there is a possibility of damage or loss if improperly used, which reduces the time of operation.
Indications and contraindications
Since these types of implants have been developed to overcome the classic for special occasions, and they should be used when not available is standard implants:
- significant atrophy of the bone tissue in which need additional capacity;
- thin alveolar crest, especially on the front portion of the series.
- with periodontitis, loss of teeth due to the inflammation of the mucosa, splinting of mobile units;
- for the temporary denture with the goal of pursuing tilted or displaced teeth;
- spracklin, that is too high the location of the units in the row;
- to attach the removable plates;
- in orthodontics for additional mounting braces for correction of malocclusion;
- if crowding of teeth or too wide division;
- in cases where the opposite facing unit;
- for fully edentulous patients, as support for the prosthesis;
- to restore dentition in the elderly patients.
In addition to conventional installation in the gums, they are also implanted in the sky, or directly of the alveolar process, which reduces the lifetime, but greatly expands dental options for different correction.
There are some contraindications for their use:
- serious decompensation of the cardiovascular system;
- low blood clotting;
- the presence of diabetes in anamnesis;
- malignancy and held with radiation therapy;
- disorders of the thyroid gland;
- diseases of the nervous system or psychological nature;
- kidney failure;
- alcohol or drug dependence;
- sexually transmitted infections;
- serious metabolic disorders;
- inflamed mucosa or infection;
- the state of stress in the patient;
- heavy Smoking;
- other diseases in which absolutely contraindicated any surgical intervention.
Partially, these barriers can be removed and then proceed to implantation. Some of the disease will become a serious hindrance to this. In this case, the doctor will recommend some other ways of alternative prosthetics.
The installation of mini-implants
To secure the entire structure is four rods to the lower jaw. But since in the top row, there is a risk to get into himaruya sinus, and the bone itself are often more loose, then you must install the six implants.
Also because of these features, there is a difference in the placement of the designs. If the bottom number is sufficient to maintain a distance between supports of 5-8 mm, they are situated in the upper jaw will strictly depend on individual characteristics.
In General, the procedure is standard stages:
- Be given local anesthesia.
- Make easy puncture and screw the implant itself.
- After his well documented sets at once, and removable.
- The patient was prescribed painkillers for the first few days and give recommendations for use.
The nuances of care
Though it is believed that loading of mini-implants can in some hours after installation, however in the first days it is recommended to eat only soft foods. Mouth to handle in the usual way, regularly cleaning their teeth and set design.
In order not to bring the infection under the denture and for proper cleaning of the oral cavity, the doctors suggest every five days to remove the plate and flush mounting. Additionally, for antiseptic treatment, you can use a special mouthwash.
Besides the usual toothbrush and paste for cleaning, it is recommended to use dental floss and rinse after every meal. For continuously monitoring the structural condition, you should visit the dentist twice a year and time to replace damaged elements.
Video: what are mini implants?
To determine how much of the mini-implant and full installation of removable dentures, you need to consider many factors. Depending on the firm’s price can vary from 30 thousand to 70. But it’s the cost of the complete installation, which is also in different clinics different.
Himself mini-implant will cost about 9 thousand rubles, which is much cheaper than any other kind of implantation. For being so accessible to most social groups and create simple designs that can afford almost everyone.
Due to the fact that for a long period of time, used false teeth, deteriorated bones. The doctor said that almost nothing can be done except to build. But in another clinic advised mini-implants. Turned out to be quite handy. And it quickly caught on.
Recently there was a question about the restoration of lost teeth. But quality implants are quite expensive. I decided to start to try something more affordable. The doctor advised just such a small design. The principle I liked it. And the surgery was pretty easy and painless.
I two years ago installed a prosthetic in the jaw. Support for him and just served mini implants. The doctor quickly turned them into the gums, just secured the record and all, I left the office already with full teeth, which is not ashamed to show people. So far no problems.