Mouth guard for teeth alignment: to correct bite after braces
A revolution in the world of modern orthodontics was the invention of mouth guards for teeth straightening as a viable alternative to treatment with braces. In this article we will talk about how is making mouthguards. To answer the question, what is better to choose a mouth guard for teeth or braces. Separately and on the analysis of the retention capacitor, which is recommended for use after braces to stabilize the achieved result.
What is the advantage of aligners
Realizing that not all patients to correct the bite will agree to wearing metal braces in your mouth, manufacturers of bracket systems have begun the process of improvement of its products. So there was a ceramic, sapphire, invisible lingual system. But for aesthetics, level of hygiene, speed of optimization of the adaptation period, the capacitor for correcting the bite out of the competition.
What is Capa? This one-piece plate that fits over the entire dentition, adhering to the teeth with both external and internal parties. Each tooth has its own cell. Externally, the aligners resemble the mouth guards for whitening teeth at home. Take a closer look at the advantages of orthodontic treatment with application of aligners.
- Teeth alignment Kappa is invisible to others. Material for the manufacture is silicone or polyurethane, which ensures full transparency. Capa tooth well kept, without causing discomfort, and is not the reason for the occurrence of complexes from patients about their appearance.
- Aligners to correct the bite to facilitate hygiene of the mouth, during a meal shows them off. If the production of braces patients that unscrupulous brushing your teeth only reduces the index of hygiene, leads to the development of multiple caries, gingivitis (since the braces themselves serve as retention points for delay and accumulation of food debris). That dental mouth guard, on the contrary, improve the situation, as a removable device.
- Why do we need Capa?- this is the best choice for a public figure. After all, along with their «invisibility», the diction is marginal (it is observed only the first time). While the use of lingual techniques accompanied by a marked distortion of articulation.
- Bite correction Capa does not cause pronounced pain. The force that causes the teeth to move into correct position, operating continuously and monotonically. The adjustment processes occur gradually. Unpleasant sensations appear, as a rule, when changing a dental mouth guard.
- The alignment of the teeth the aligners allows you to achieve a better stability of the achieved result. Especially in the correction of gaps between the teeth (three).
- Also aligners, to a lesser extent than metal braces, cause an allergic reaction.
- Choosing to treat orthodontic trays, you can not limit yourself and not to abandon the use of certain products. Delete is only chewing gum.
Disadvantages of aligners
Along with many advantages, orthodontic splints have disadvantages. Not all pathology can be eliminated by using aligners. For example, malocclusion Burr in most cases, ineffective. Therefore, in case of severe malocclusion, severe crowding resort to braces. To fix the position of the tooth when rotated around its axis mouth guard for teeth also can not.
On this basis, we conclude that the notion of «tray for bite correction in adults» is inherently wrong. For designation (identification) aligners are better suited terms such as «aligners orthodontic» or «aligners to align teeth.»
In some cases, the aligners effective
Whether is effective instead of braces mouth guard depends on the nature of the pathology. Doctors prescribe silicone mouth guard only when unexpressed flaws. Clinical indications for their use is:
- A little crowding of teeth, when due to constriction of the dental arches there is a shortage of places.
- The presence of gaps between the teeth three.
- A slight inclination of the teeth.
- The gap between the Central incisors – diastema.
Also aligners after braces you can put, to cure or to consolidate the results obtained. It is important to notice that orthodontists recommend the use of aligners, will erupt when all the permanent teeth, more active growth of the jaws.
The stages of treatment
Orthodontic treatment with application of aligners includes the following steps:
- During the first visit to the dentist is the collection of complaints, examination, taking impressions. Patients definitely shown to make a panoramic overview to control the initial state of the bone tissue, the stage of formation of roots of teeth (teenagers), determining the presence of rudiments of wisdom teeth. If necessary, the orthodontist gives direction to conduct x-rays of the skull in lateral projection.
- Summarizing all information obtained during clinical examination, the doctor will determine the scheme of optimal treatment with application of aligners.
- Making mouthguards is happening abroad. To do this, all the impressions, photos, x-rays, the orthodontist sends to the lab, which is located in America.
- Scan models of the jaws allows you to convert clinical parameters in a computer model, which fails before the treatment to see the final result.
- After completion of manufacture, the capacitor is sent back to the clinic. To align teeth may need from 20-40 aligners. It is important to note from the first visit until the start of the correction is up to 2 months.
- In the office, the dentist fixes the tray to the teeth. Following the visit, appoint, usually within 4-6 weeks. The duration of treatment depends on the clinical picture, the average is 18-24 months. Change aligners are produced every 2-3 weeks.
OrtoSnap, Invisalign: a brief description
Below is a brief overview of the most common types of aligners.
- Made of silicone, so they are invisible to others.
- The magnitude of the force acting on each tooth, is determined by the thickness of the capacitor, its elasticity. On this basis, depending on the situation, in one section the cap may be thicker than the other.
- Aligners are Hypo — allergenic. Sleek profile allows it to avoid injury to the mucous membrane, which sometimes complain patients whose treatment is carried out using braces.
- This is a budget option, as the value of correction using a mouth guard OrtoSnap below the cost of treatment with Invisalign analogs in half.
- Made of transparent biopolymer that makes them absolutely aesthetic.
- The presence of active attachments improves fixation. Now even with a wide smile can not be afraid that the cap will fall.
- Capa’s (the manufacturer is the company Align Technology) contains specific indicators, the color change which can be seen worn by teen the aligners a sufficient number of hours per day or not.
So let’s look at why and why you need aligners after braces. Orthodontic treatment with braces do not end with their withdrawal. For fixing the final result, to prevent displacement of the teeth in the original position is necessarily held the final retention phase, the duration of which depends on:
- Original clinical situation.
- The age of the patient.
The more complicated the pathology, the longer recommended to wear a mouth guard. Some experts in determining the duration of retention period based on the total period of treatment with braces. In this case, the period of wearing mouth guard can last 1.5-2 years. In older age the risk of misaligned teeth increases significantly, so people after 30 years, many orthodontists recommend wearing retainers for life. But this does not mean that retention of Kappa should be in your mouth all day. First time wear for 2 hours during the day and at night. Next, move on to wearing only at night.
To Capa after the braces have served you right time, you must comply with rather simple rules of hygiene care:
- Rinse the retainer under running water.
- To prevent the accumulation of plaque, it is better to periodically use a special chemical solution.
- Doctors do not recommend to put the tray in hot water, as this may lead to deformation of the structure.
- For the preservation, transportation retention mouth guard it is advisable to pre-purchase a box with holes for ventilation. In selling a huge assortment.
Summarizing all the above, come to the conclusion that the use of aligners is not a panacea for the optimum method of orthodontic correction.
Aligners for correction of teeth have both strengths and weaknesses. The ease in carrying out hygienic cleaning is an unquestionable advantage of this technology. And thanks to the aesthetics and lack of speech disorders, the aligners are more likely to choose public people. But minus the cap acts as their functional imperfect. They are shown only in the case of minor orthodontic pathology. In the treatment of pronounced anomalies of the dentition decent alternative bracket system yet.