My jaw hurts near my ear: causes and treatment
Pain in the jaw near the ear could be a symptom of various diseases, which speaks in favor of the visiting specialist when you experience this symptom. We must remember that trifling diseases in the head and face does not exist, any abnormality should be treated properly and as early as possible from the first symptoms. The longer the patient self-medicates, the more risk the occurrence of serious complications such as abscess, cellulitis, osteomyelitis, deforming arthrosis of the temporomandibular region.
Possible causes of pain
Pain in jaw next to the ear can be caused by the following pathologies:
- injury to the jaw: fractures, dislocations;
- diseases inflammatory and infectious nature;
- benign and malignant neoplasms;
- severe diseases of the cardiovascular system, including vascular inflammation;
- neurological disease;
- the total defeat of the joints (arthritis, arthrosis);
- dental disease has been neglected (complicated forms of caries, pulpitis, stomatitis and other odontogenic processes).
Why my jaw hurts near the ear can detect only a doctor that talks about the need to contact experts at the first painful manifestations. The first step is to visit the dentist, if necessary, he will direct you to the neurologist or the therapist. Sometimes therapy of a pathological process involved multiple specialists together.
Injuries to the jaw are common, it can be jaw dislocations, subluxations, bruises and even fractures. In the presence of fact the mechanical impact after which there is pain in the ear region, should visit a trauma surgeon promptly. In untreated micropreemie inflammation can occur bones that pose a threat to health and life.
Pain in the joint of the jaw near the ear may be accompanied by dislocation of the temporomandibular joint. A dislocated jaw can occur as a consequence of physical impact (e.g. during a fight or fall) or when yawning (sudden and wide opening of the mouth).
For pain reduction of dislocation of the applicable local administration of Morphine. After giving an anatomically correct position of the joint on the lower jaw in a bandage. The meal should be gentle and with the exception of solid food.
The least harmless trauma of the maxillofacial region is injury, which will deliver the discomfort.
The mechanism of formation of unpleasant symptom: when impact occurs, the damage to soft tissues and blood vessels form a hematoma (can be determined by inspection or palpation of the painful lump), the rest do not inconvenience, but when moving jaw there is pain able to give in the ear on the side of impact.
Has a distinct clinical picture, accompanied by sharp pain and impaired mobility (up to complete absence).
When injury to the jaw area accompanied with pain, you should consult a specialist treatment on their own can cause serious complications.
The symptoms of life-threatening fracture of the upper jaw:
- the appearance of blue circles under both eyes;
- bleeding (especially from the ear);
- discharge of colorless fluid from the nose after an injury without colds.
These symptoms are talking about the fracture of the skull base, should call the ambulance and in the shortest possible time to get into oral and maxillofacial surgery,
Possible complications of trauma and odontogenic diseases associated with jaw pain near ear:
|Chronic dislocation.||This condition is characterized by the spontaneous formation of a dislocation for no apparent reason that occurs after the primary. This condition leads to osteoarthritis of the joint or dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint.|
|Post-traumatic osteomyelitis.||This is the formation of inflammation of bone, localized at the site of injury, the process can occur in various infectious and inflammatory diseases. Upon detection of symptoms of purulent inflammation: swelling of the skin, pain, rise in body temperature, deterioration of General health, a few days after injury is reason to consult a doctor who will decide what to do next. Most likely it will be a surgical intervention with the purpose of cleaning the focus of infection, removal of bone fragments with subsequent antibiotic therapy.|
|The abscess or the occurrence of diffuse inflammation (cellulitis).||As a complication of trauma occurring in violation of the integrity of the tissue with subsequent bacterial colonization can develop after dental surgery or as a complication of neglected diseases of the oral cavity inflammatory nature. The primary appearance of an abscess or a cellulitis is possible only with reduced immunity. The differences are not clinically significant, so an accurate diagnosis (abscess or phlegmon) to establish an oral surgeon on the basis of the image (diffuse or limited process). The manifestation process: the process is localized to the right or left, there is a pronounced asymmetry of the face, it hurts to open your mouth and swallow, he suffers from a General feeling, expressed symptoms of intoxication, the treatment is performed in a hospital under the supervision of a physician.|
Complications after dental intervention
Possible complications of tooth extraction requiring emergency visit to the dentist, if my jaw hurts near my ear:
- when the pain in 2 days in the treatment of reason for panic (in the absence of other symptoms), this condition is normal;
- in the event of alveolitis after the specified period begins to hurt the jaw, and sometimes the process extends to the half of the face;
- if purulent lesion remaining after removal of the tooth that are not assigned to antibacterial treatment can occur abscess or phlegmon. This condition requires the immediate intervention of an experienced surgeon-dentist;
- if untreated, cellulitis and abscess, lesion inflammation melts the surrounding tissue and spread, it may be osteomyelitis (bone inflammation of the gingival tissue).
«Sore ear gives in the mouth» is a symptom not only of diseases of the oral cavity requiring dental treatment. This symptom may occur in diseases of neurological nature.
Pain in the joint of the jaw near the ear occurs when:
- neuralgia (sharp pain) in the course of the glossopharyngeal nerve;
- with the defeat of the trigeminal nerve;
- lose gortanova nerve from above, the disease is dangerous complications in the form of the facial skin;
Disease localized in the region of the joint
Diseases of the temporomandibular joint often are determined on the background of lesions of the musculoskeletal apparatus, in addition to pain around the jaw could hurt knee, ankle, hip and others.
- Arthritis temporomandibular joint disease can occur with morning stiffness in the joint, pain when chewing with a click sensation.
- Osteoarthritis is characterized by constant pain whining character, aggravated by wide opening the mouth or clenching. The pain occurs on the affected side.
- Retrotechie syndrome characterized by pain the ear radiating to the forehead, occipital region and lower jaw. The disease appears reddened ear and severe pain, due to damage of the vascular network.
- When a joint hurts, the cause may be spondylosis of the cervical, dysfunction of the jaw joint.
- Disease of the ear — otitis media can also give in the joint area.
- Chronic dislocation in addition to the displacement towards the affected side, accompanied by pain in the joint. The pain experienced in the ear and in the jaw, depending on the damage to the joint (left or right) there will be a smoothing of the articular tubercle and deformation on x-ray.
Disease, manifested by pain under the jaw
Pain under the jaw accompanied by the following ailments:
- submandibular lymphadenitis is an inflammation of the lymph node, may be any disease of the oral cavity. on palpation there is a movable painful lump;
- mononucleosis is an infectious lesion of the lymphatic system caused by a virus;
- glossalgia is inflammation of the tongue, accompanied by pain when receiving a rude and cold foods radiating to the lower jaw;
- Cialdini — inflammation of the saliva glands, is accompanied by drooling on the background of General intoxication;
- sialoliths lose salivary gland stone formation;
- tumors (malignant and benign. With the growth of the tumors, the pain increases and causes difficulty in swallowing.
Regardless of the causes of pain in the upper or lower jaw radiating to the ear, you should as early as possible to contact the dentist or podiatrist to determine the cause of the symptom and fix the cause.
The pain may be accompanied by fever and General intoxication symptoms (inflammatory processes of any etiology), stiffness of the joint or a feeling of click during a meal (when diseases of the joints), or deformity of the maxillofacial region (fractures). Specialist in treating diseases of the jaw, mouth and teeth, it dentist. Often you may need treatment from a podiatrist or surgeon, in rare cases, correction of the disease will be the therapist.
Given that the soreness of the jaw radiating to the ear can cause a number of diseases relating to the defeat of various organs and systems and having different etiology, self-medication for the symptoms is unacceptable.
Improper treatment can cause complications, some of which is dangerous for life. The only thing that can be done when severe pain, take painkillers before going to a specialist.
Traditional methods of treatment
Popular ways to help with pain in the jaw radiating to the ear, can be used only after consultation with a specialist and in addition to the basic treatment. A significant proportion of the popular methods in this disease is the application of a variety of compresses and lotions.
Infusion of mother and stepmother with oregano.
- Ingredients: 500 ml of alcohol and 40 g of vegetable substances.
- Course preparations: crushed leaves, pour alcohol and leave to infuse for three days.
- Strain the infusion and use as rastirok painful places, especially with the injuries.