My jaw hurts when opening mouth and chewing treatment
Unpleasant feeling that my jaw hurts when opening mouth, can make a significant discomfort in a person’s life, hindering eating and speaking. This symptom may indicate the presence of various diseases, so to eliminate the pain should be treated in a medical facility. Depending on the type of disease may need to consult a dentist, surgeon, neurologist and other specialists. The medical examination will determine the pathology and to prescribe effective treatment.
Anatomical and functional features of the jaw
Part of the facial skeleton includes the maxilla and mandible. The top is steam — consists of two bones, has four of the Appendix and the body containing the pneumatic bosom. The lower jaw is unpaired, its plasticity provides temporal mandibular joint. The teeth and the muscles that are attached to the surface of the bone tissue, involved in the process of chewing food, pronouncing the sounds. Jaw movements are performed with the help of temporomandibular joint. Some diseases lead to the appearance in it of pain, a characteristic clicking when opening mouth.
Sometimes pain occurs with pressure on the jaw is felt on one side or on both simultaneously. The pain may be the result of a lesion of the bone or disease of the joint. In some cases, for example, in cardiac pathologies, it may radiate to the jaw, arising as a result of disorders in the other organs. Intense pain is noted at the fracture of the jaw, damage to the joint. The patient in such cases cannot even open his mouth. When you see these symptoms should immediately seek medical attention to avoid severe complications and deterioration of health.
Factors contributing to the emergence of pain in the jaw
All causes of pain in the jaw area is conventionally divided into several groups. In the diagnosis of the disease is taken into account the clinical picture. Treatment at an early stage of the disease largely contributes to the success of her cure.
Tissue damage in trauma
A jaw injury can be caused by falls, blows during sports or street fights, injuries suffered during transport accidents, accidents. The most common types of injuries are contusions, sprains, fractures.
Cause dislocation of the jaw joint are sudden movements. Sometimes it occurs with a wide mouth opening, its risk to people, opening bottles with your teeth. During the dislocated head of the bone of the lower jaw changes its position, leaving the articular fossa. The patient feels a sharp pain in the jaw joint, can not open or close the mouth, his speech difficult to understand.
Visually, the jaw can be displaced to one side or forward. To reposition the dislocation must take the help of trauma.
While maintaining the integrity of bone is soft tissue damage. At the point of impact there is swelling, hematoma, in some cases, the patient painful to open mouth, difficult to chew food. Improvement occurs without special treatment after about 5 days the symptoms disappear.
Fractures occur most severe damage. There was a strong pain, an unnatural mobility of the bones of the jaw, often the patient cannot open his mouth, there may be facial asymmetry with right or left side. Increases swelling in the lower part of the face, sometimes clearly visible place of a bone fracture, a hematoma appears as a result of bleeding. Treatment and restoration of damaged tissue takes a long period of time. Timely treatment in a medical institution will allow to avoid wound infections and related complications.
Disease leading to inflammation of the tissues and formation of pus
Such pathologies can be attributed the greater part of dental diseases. In the development of the inflammatory process in the oral cavity participates infection, usually bacterial, rarely viral or fungal.
The most common purulent diseases are:
- Boils. The disease occurs as a result of infection in the skin’s hair follicle through the damaged surface of the epidermis. The inflammation gradually extends to the deeper situated soft tissues, they formed the pus, which causes pain due to the compression of nerve endings.
- Osteomyelitis. The disease is very dangerous and requires immediate treatment, as the inflammation covers not only soft tissue but also bone, including the bone marrow. The cause of the disease odontogenic osteomyelitis is infection, of periodontitis-affected teeth, purulent cysts in the area of tooth roots, the direct passage of bacteria from the oral cavity during trauma and burns. Hematogenous form of the disease develops with the introduction of pathogens from the blood. Symptoms of osteomyelitis: a sore jaw, increased body temperature, shivering, swollen lymph nodes, face swells, becomes asymmetrically shaped, may include headache and toothache.
- Abscesses and cellulitis. Both kinds of inflammatory processes are accompanied by swelling of the tissues, formation of large amounts of pus, severe pain. When they occur, get immediate medical help. When abscess the inflammation is closed, when the phlegmon is spilled. There is a danger of its spread to new areas with the emergence of complications that threaten life. The patient increased body temperature, pain in jaw when opening mouth, difficult to chew and swallow. There is a General weakness, headache, possible tissue necrosis at the site of inflammation.
Installation of dentures and structures, providing for the correction of bite
Some discomfort patients may experience after installation of various structures to strengthen or replace destroyed teeth while wearing braces. Usually this soreness is temporary and is normal. The jaw can hurt and if there are violations in its structure, leading to the formation of malocclusion. There are methods to fix it and to eliminate pain.
Different types of tumors
Pain in jaw when chewing may be associated with tumor formation. As the symptoms in the early stages of the disease are mild, patients often seek care at later stages of development of pathological process. Benign tumors are adamantium, osteoma, osteoblastoclastoma.
Malignant tumors secrete into the following groups:
- sarcoma originating from the connective tissue;
- cancers develop from epithelial tissue;
- osteogenic sarcoma — originate from bone tissue, usually striking some kind of bone.
Malignant tumors occur more frequently in the mandible. These types of tumors are particularly dangerous to life and health, differing by the rapid growth and dissemination of metastases in other organs.
For the diagnosis of diseases used radiography, computed tomography, morphological examination of tissue samples.
Diseases in which pain in the jaw is noted in close proximity to the auricle
There are a number of diseases in which the jaw may be sore in areas bordering the ear. Often this symptom is found in arthritis — inflammation in the jaw joint, the intensity of the pain which increases at night, and osteoarthritis — pain is caused by age-related changes and increases during physical exertion, subsided in the rest. Diagnosis of disease is made using x-rays. Timely treatment avoids immobilization of the jaw.
Among neurological causes discomfort in the jaw can distinguish neuralgia and bruxism. First, the disease manifests itself when one of the pinched nerve, providing an innervation of the face — the trigeminal, superior laryngeal or the glossopharyngeal. Pathology is accompanied by sharp pain, the intensity of which increases with the consumption of food, increased salivation, discomfort is also observed when blowing nose and yawning. To start treatment at the initial stage of the disease to prevent the aggravation of the situation due to irreversible changes in tissues.
Bruxism is a disease in which there is an involuntary clenching of the jaw and teeth grinding. It usually caused by stress or disorders of the nervous system, often found in people with malocclusion. Recurrent attacks lead to the abrasion of tooth dentin, inflammatory processes in tissues, changes in the joints, causing pain. To reduce the frequency and severity of symptoms of bruxism allows the removal of nervous tension through exercise, relaxation, massage. To protect the teeth and joints will help selected dentist special day and night bus.
Diseases of the cardiovascular system and blood vessels
Pain in lower jaw and neck may occur with acute myocardial infarction. This is a life-threatening condition that causes necrosis of cardiac muscle. The main causes of the disease are a spasm of the blood vessels that supply blood to the heart, the closure of the lumen by atherosclerotic plaque or thrombus. On the development of the infarction is indicated by the following symptoms: pain in the chest lasting more than 15 minutes, which persists even when taking nitroglycerin and pain medications, the patient of breath, increased sweating.
The radiation of cardiac pain from the sternum to the jaw sometimes and angina pectoris — spasm of the coronary arteries, leading to insufficient supply to the heart muscle with oxygen. If you have symptoms of cardiac abnormalities require urgent medical attention.
Severe pain in the jaw near the ear, the nose or smack in the eye socket is characteristic of arteritis — inflammation of artery walls. With the defeat of the large vessels, the pain can be considerable on the face, neck.
What else can be caused by pain in the jaw
Pain sometimes occur for other reasons. To understand their origin will help qualified professionals. Rarely encountered factors of pain include:
- Tetanus — the disease is accompanied by cramps in the muscles and difficulty swallowing. If you have symptoms of pathology immediately go to the hospital. For the treatment of disease use of tetanus serum.
- Carotidynia is one of the types of migraine. Appear when the pain attacks, the duration of which can reach 1 hour. They cover the lower jaw, the ears, the eye sockets.
- Red ear syndrome — usually develops in lesions of the thalamus, cervical spondylosis.
- In children, soreness in the jaw area occurs when the disease mumps (mumps), metabolic disorders of phosphorus and calcium in the body.
Treatment strategy depends on the type of disease and is directed at eliminating the cause of pathology and pain relief. To treat bruises apply cold compresses, reduce a dislocation, to align the fragments of bone fractures may require surgical intervention. In purulent diseases of the to remove pus, post-mortem abscesses, prescribe a course of antibiotic therapy.
To eliminate the symptoms of carotidynia used painkillers and antidepressants. Myocardial infarction requires urgent hospitalization of the patient with the purpose of thrombolytics, drugs, normalizing the blood pressure, prevent blood clotting, narcotic analgesics.
In inflammatory processes in teeth and the periodontal is carried out sanitation of the oral cavity. When neoplasms apply surgical or combined treatment is supplemented by chemotherapy and radiotherapy.