My teeth hurt after whitening what to do with sensitivity?
If you have ever used the home or professional system, lightening the hue of enamel, then most likely, you know, how my teeth hurt after whitening. We’ll show you how to handle it, what to do with the sensitivity, in this case at all stages of the procedure.
The more carefully you prepare and better care after whitening, the more chances to maintain healthy teeth and reduce discomfort. Will only have to adhere to clear guidelines and enjoy a new shining smile without any consequences.
Before the procedure
Tooth sensitivity after whitening comes from the fact that most often for these purposes use hydrogen peroxide or other similar compounds. They are quite aggressive affect the enamel and increase the irritability of the nerve endings. That’s why the man feels very bad tooth pain after a seemingly innocuous procedure.
To prevent such discomfort you need to follow certain safety rules. And you need to start with training, that is the time before bleaching. So, perform certain actions before the beginning of procedures:
- Choose special desensitizing toothpaste for brushing teeth. Start to use it even for a week or ten days before the intended session of bleaching. No matter what while they have do not show this sensitivity. This paste will help to reduce the activity of nerve endings and slightly block the pain signals. Recommend Colgate Sensitive or Sensodyne and other toothpastes for sensitive teeth.
- Take a soft brush, making a circular motion over the surface, not back and forth, as it does most people. Cleaning you should at least three minutes, so there is sufficient tissue massage, which will also contribute to their better health.
- The same special paste or gel to reduce the sensitivity recommends further applied to the tooth surface with a cotton swab and keep a few minutes to its active components are deeply penetrated into the enamel and helped to counter the expected aggressive action of bleaching agents. Choose a tool such as AcquaSeal and Ultra EZ which contains potassium nitrate. He creates numbness of the dental nerve, thereby reducing the sensitivity. Such compositions can be in different forms which one to choose depends on your preference (gel, spray, paste, powder, pencil).
- By purchasing the desensitizing agent, and you can also buy a mouth guard for your teeth. Will explain how to reduce the discomfort from them. Half an hour before the procedure, whitening should fill the tray the gel or liquid to reduce the sensitivity and put it on the tooth row at this time. Then you need to carefully rinse and begin the lightening session.
- On the popular question, how to relieve pain after bleaching, doctors most often recommend to take one hour before procedure non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent, that is, NSAIDs. These include Ibuprofen, Naproxen, etc. May dentist will suggest other options for effective painkillers.
When conducting tooth whitening
Depending on the chosen method of lightening enamel, you can take different steps. If this procedure happens in the doctor’s office, he, most likely, competently and accurately will hold each stage and protect the enamel of a variety of means. To do this, the dentist will be right to sustain the session and also after it is applied to the surface of the special composition.
And at home need to control the process. To do this, you must follow certain rules, which are often specified in the instructions specific to the selected remedy for whitening:
- Do not experiment with various substances and chemical agents. Better to choose a special home kits for enamel brightening. So, you can be sure that the amount of peroxide in the composition does not exceed 5-6%. This is sufficient for the desired effect, but does not harm the teeth. A greater percentage is not recommended, as the quality of the lightening is not affected but will greatly mess up the structure of the enamel.
- Various means for teeth whitening at home there are many. This trays with gels, and strips, pencils, chewing gum, pastes, sprays, polishes, and more. What to prefer is your personal choice. Though you can consult with your doctor. It is important that before applying you read the instructions and used the product only as described therein. Not worth to yourself to experiment and come up with more effective action. Remember about oral health in the first place.
- When using cap and gel watch carefully so that the chemical composition in any case not inside of the nose, otherwise in addition to tooth sensitivity get irritation or even burn the gums. And if pain enamel will be problems with the soft tissue to heal will be much harder.
- It is very important to keep the tool on the teeth as much as described in the instructions and not a minute longer. The manufacturers have tested the tool many times and pinpointed the best time of the validity of the product. If you own to increase it, you can damage the enamel and cause severe pain.
Precautions after the procedure
In office whitening the doctor always gives a list of recommendations for the patient to know how to reduce discomfort and how to fix the result for a long period.
At home whitening enamel you should know in advance how and what to do to avoid any unforeseen situations. So, if you have a toothache after whitening, you need to do the following:
- Drink additional pain medication that was used prior to the procedure.
- Do not use in the first two days no hot or cold products. Choose only those that are as close to body temperature.
- Also avoid acidic foods, which can cause the same discomfort, which is a well-know people by nature are suffering from hypersensitivity.
- As before bleaching, use only a soft toothbrush, and movement to make neat and circular. In the first hours after the whitening procedure better and does not clean the teeth. Use a mouthwash if necessary, and at least half an hour does not treat the enamel.
- The temperature of the water or liquid that you rinse your mouth also needs to be warm, so as not to cause discomfort.
- Even if the before bedtime your teeth are too sensitive for your toothbrush, you can make hygienic procedures with your finger or cotton swab.
- A paste that is recommended for use after bleaching, should contain high amount of fluoride. Doctors advise to pay attention to Fluoride Listerine, Listerine Fluoride Defense, Colgate Fluorigard, Colgate Neutrafluor and the like. Fluoride helps block the painful signals passing through the tooth nerves and thereby reduce discomfort. For best results, after applying the paste you should not use food or beverages at least half an hour. So, the active ingredients have time to penetrate deeper into the enamel and reduce unpleasant symptoms.
- A good effect of pain relief have ordinary chewing gum. The most important rule for their choice, they should not contain sugar content. Chew the record exactly ten minutes and change to new, until the packing. Experience shows that this simple method helps relieve pain after a whitening procedure.
- It is very important to follow the rules of the frequency of bleaching sessions. If this is a professional office service, the doctor will not you to do it sooner than once a year. In the case when it comes to home remedies, then don’t make them every day. It’s not a daily procedure, like a regular oral hygiene. Observe the short recommended courses, and then take a break for at least six months or preferably a year. If you use quite harsh chemical compositions in the form of strips, pencils or gels, you should apply them at least every other day or once a week. Give the enamel a chance to relax.
Video: troubles after teeth whitening.
Tips and warnings
It is important to understand that increased sensitivity after teeth whitening should be, that’s fine. But it has to be completely or at least reduced in two days. If not, then seek the advice of your dentist. Perhaps in the process had damaged the enamel or tooth decay is present, which causes reinforced the discomfort.
How much my teeth hurt after these procedures? Usually it is 24-48 hours, not more. And if there are no serious injuries or diseases, the pain will decrease during this time, just need to be patient.
It is possible that you just didn’t fit the selected tool. So when you see your doctor for advice, take a set you used and the dentist examined him, recommend some other tool with a different composition.
Some people face another problem – the constant need to whiten your teeth. Doctors define it as a TDR, that is body dysmorphic disorder. This problem is solved already not a dentist, a psychotherapist. But his advice and treatment process required.