Non-metal clasp dentures: dentures metal free ceramic
Dental prosthetics with ceramic is one of the most relevant, effective and safest methods of orthopedic treatment of the teeth. Aesthetic prosthetic appliances made of ceramic materials and plastic, use to replace any defects of the dentition. Patients who consented to the installation of orthopedic structures of this type, ensure absolute protection against the development of galvanic syndrome and allergic reaction to metals. Today, ceramics are used for manufacturing a variety of prosthetic devices such as bridges, crowns, veneers and inlays. Among the orthopaedic structures of this type can be attributed to partial dentures, containing no metal structural components.
What is a denture
Bugel prosthesis (from the German word bugel, meaning in translation «arc») is called an orthopedic appliance of the removable type, comprising an arcuate frame and basis with fixed artificial teeth. In most cases, the frames of such structures is made from durable and light metal alloys. However, metal-free prosthetics for the fabrication of these structural elements using acetal and other non-metallic materials. In turn, for the production of artificial crowns and fixed on the basis of the product, use metal-free ceramic or durable plastic.
Ceramics recorded in the patient’s mouth by means of special fastenings. Depending on the method of fixation of standard bugel prosthesis are divided into three types:
- the castle (with precision fastenings);
Most metal-free prostheses equipped with elastic hooks (clasps), which allows to firmly fix prosthetic structure in the patient’s mouth without the preparation (grinding) the abutment teeth without damaging the enamel and without damaging the mucous membrane of the oral cavity, the metal locking mechanisms.
Indications for the installation of arc prosthesis of metal-free ceramics
The main indications for carrying out of orthopedic treatment of the teeth with the use of partial prosthetic devices made from non-metal ceramics are as follows:
- partial adentia (the defects of the dentition can be frontal, bilateral or unilateral, enabled, or end);
- periodontitis 1 or 2 degrees;
- periodontal disease;
- increased abrasion of the enamel layer;
- the presence of contraindications to the replacement of defects of dentition using implants;
- minor violations of the bite.
In addition, metal-free prosthesis are shown to the persons who are at risk for the development of galvanic syndrome in the oral cavity, with increased tendency to develop allergic reactions to metals and alloys.
The technology of manufacturing all-ceramic orthopedic devices has high complexity. The installation procedure of prosthetic devices of this type involves four successive stages:
- preparatory activities;
- the manufacture of impressions of the jaws;
- the creation of prosthetic structures on the basis of a dental laboratory;
- the fitting and installation of orthopedic appliances.
Preparation for prosthetics designs
Preparing to install arc metal-free prosthesis begins with the sanation of oral cavity of the patient. This procedure includes:
- professional dental cleaning, removal of dental plaque;
- filling existing cavities;
- treatment of periodontal disease;
- removal of teeth with mobility 3 or 4 degrees, with chronic inflammatory processes in the periapical tissues;
- treatment of pathologies that entail a violation of occlusal curves.
In the absence of the surface enamel layer of the natural depressions needed for durable klammern fixing, installing dental crowns or tabs, with the appropriate form.
The manufacture of impressions of the jaws
After completion of the preparatory activities an orthopedic dentist removes plaster casts with silicone material (A-silicone, C-silicone). Casts allow dental technicians to take into account all individual features of the structure of oral masticatory apparatus of the patient and to create the most functional, comfortable model of the prosthesis. All information obtained at this stage, in the shortest possible time send to the dental laboratory.
The procedure for manufacturing metal-free arc of the prosthesis
In the dental laboratory casts of the upper and lower jaws used for making working models: pour the liquid plaster casts of the ground and allow it to harden. After this, a plaster model of the combine, giving them a correct position and form the occlusion with a special wax cylinders. The working model is placed in the articulator. Patient invited to the reception to determine the height of the bite and fitting wax patterns. Further on the basis of a wax model of a metal-free material made prosthesis. The obtained ceramics are carefully polished and is transmitted in a dental office. On average, the production of metal-free prosthetic takes 2 to 3 weeks.
Fitting and installation of the prosthesis
The next step metal-free dental prosthesis becomes the delivery of the finished denture at the dental office. The doctor evaluates the reliability of fixation of prosthetic structures in the oral cavity of the patient, the density of its fit to the gums and palate, functionality and aesthetic properties. If you find any faults, the doctor performs a correction. At the beginning of the use of patient prosthesis, it is necessary several visits to the doctor dentist-orthopedist for the correction.
The advantages of nonmetallic orthopedic appliances
Arc metal-free prostheses have many advantages over other orthopedic structures. The main advantages of devices of this type are:
- excellent esthetic features (the artificial crown and the basis of the products look very natural, not striking with a smile and during the interview);
- light weight;
- the expanded color palette of materials used in the manufacture of all-ceramic prostheses;
- no need for the preparation of the abutment teeth during the fitting;
- security and the almost complete biocompatibility (metal-free dentures hypoallergenic, do not cause irritation of the mucous membrane of the mouth, do not injure the soft tissues, does not contribute to galvanic syndrome);
- the reliability of the (modern all-ceramic materials not inferior in strength of dental alloys);
- flexibility (due to this property, the prosthetic design is denser adjacent to the palate and gums, more firmly fixed in the oral cavity of the patient);
- hygiene (materials used for fabrication of ceramic prosthetic devices that respond well to treatment, do not contain large pores that accumulate harmful microorganisms);
- comfort when using;
- affordability of orthopedic treatment using all-ceramic prostheses;
- there are no factors that impede the process of adjustment to the installed orthopedic device;
- the possibility of implementation of advanced scientific achievements in the manufacture of prosthetic devices.
Disadvantages of prosthetic metal-free prostheses arc
Unfortunately, arc metal-free prostheses have some disadvantages. Negative traits orthopaedic structures of this type are:
- shorter lifespan compared to metal arc prosthesis;
- the susceptibility of some materials used for the manufacture of metal-free prostheses, colouring food dyes;
- complexity in the correction of orthopedic devices (most often, the cost of relocation or repair of the prosthesis is comparable to the price of new orthodontic constructions);
- reduced stabilization of prosthetic devices in the oral cavity (design may slightly shift when chewing);
- the accelerated accumulation of plaque on the surface of the prosthesis.
Contraindications to the installation of ceramic prostheses
Orthopaedic treatment of teeth with the use of clasp dentures has several contraindications. The most common of these are:
- full adentia;
- strong atrophy of the alveolar process of the jaw bone (wearing the prosthetic structure may contribute to the acceleration of the atrophic process and deterioration of the patient);
- increased sensitivity of the soft tissues of the oral cavity;
- expressed disturbances of the occlusion;
- inflammatory processes in the oral cavity of the patient;
Absolute contraindication to prosthetics prosthetic constructions is an individual naprinimali materials used in the manufacture of prostheses.
Care metal-free prostheses
Metal-free partial denture does not require complex care. A complex of hygienic procedures to prevent damage to abutments, to extend the life and maintain the health of the oral cavity includes:
- twice-daily cleaning of denture with toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste (this procedure allows to effectively clean the prosthetic design from food particles and harmful microorganisms);
- rinsing the mouth with antiseptic solutions;
- lavage prosthetic designs under running water after each meal;
- the processing of structures with special means to care for dentures
- refusal of coarse, hard foods (raw carrots, tough meat, nuts, etc.), viscous products (Jolly ranchers, chewing gum) that can damage the prosthetic design;
- regular examinations at the dentist-orthopedist, correction of the prosthesis.
The popularity of metal-free prosthesis of arc in a circle of dentists and patients is constantly growing. Convenience to operate a number of benefits if you are unable to use other methods of prosthetics.