Oral surgeon: who is it that does and what it treats?
In addition to the usual physician who treats diseases of teeth, sometimes you have to ask for help to the dentist-surgeon. Who is it that does and what it treats, will describe in more detail in this article to have an idea of when really its intervention is necessary.
Contacting a doctor is always stressful for any patient. If I had to resort to surgery, even a small one, so the situation is really serious. It is important to get a good technician, the professional, who has extensive experience in the manipulation and make the whole process so that the recovery period passed very quickly.
A list of required specialist knowledge
To cope with the task dental surgeon must have extensive and accurate knowledge. For the correct diagnosis and successful treatment of and conduct any remedial work that require his intervention, the practitioner needs to understand:
- the structure of all hard and soft tissues of the oral cavity;
- features of the jaw apparatus, its functioning;
- diagnostic results carried out to identify dental problems and defects;
- related Sciences, such as dentistry, treatment, orthodontics, and even psychology.
The more he tries to learn about the novelties in its activity, the achievements in modern medicine, about the methods of working, the best expert he becomes.
In addition to direct dental and surgical knowledge of the nuances of such a physician must be able to establish contact with patients. After a visit to the dentist always causes fear in humans, and appeal to the surgeon can and does lead to panic. So he should be able to win the patient and build rapport and comfort.
What tasks are performed?
The main tasks of a dental surgeon in his job description are the following:
- the correct formulation of an accurate diagnosis based on the obtained data;
- the rescue unit if possible;
- conducting manipulations with minimal negative impact;
- removal of the tooth root or its parts;
- proper selection of anesthetic and aseptic substances;
- the correction of orthodontic defects;
- preparing the jaw for implantation and other types of prosthetics;
- eliminate natural anomalies in the structure of the bones;
- the treatment of inflammation and cleaning of periodontal pockets;
- carrying out cosmetic operations on healthy tissues.
This profession always remains topical, as many of these problems can be corrected only with surgical intervention.
What does a dental surgeon?
Giving a General characterization of the tasks of the doctor, will try now to explain his actions in each of the required cases:
- The loss of one, several or all units of the patient has to think about quality prosthetics. The best of them is implantation. It should implantologist, but in the absence of such a specialist is doing the surgery. To do this in the jaw bone implant a titanium root for fastening the artificial tooth. It is also the responsibility of the physician in this procedure included bone grafting, if it is not, and control over the healing period wounds.
- To pull a tooth seems very simple point. But very often for this manipulation has to go to the dentist, and sometimes the surgeon. Extraction units can occur in a simple form (usually when you remove a premolar or anterior teeth), or complex, when intervention is required on the chewing areas. To do this, use boron and extractor. Sometimes in addition to that we need to do and suturing of the gums.
- But it’s not all that makes a dental surgeon. It needs to correctly extract the roots, completely or partially, depending on the situation. Usually this procedure is performed in the presence of a cyst, and it is called cystectomy. The doctor tries to remove only the affected part of the root, keeping the rest of the system. It does not affect healthy tooth, and using tools carefully and acts locally only on the cyst and a small root surface. This operation is more subtle and complex.
- In addition to dental problems, the surgeon makes the plastic gums. It takes in a variety of cases, but often at the defects of its location (too high, too low or uneven). Such problems may lead to extensive periodontal disease or some natural anomaly. The doctor chooses how it will correct its position, because in each individual case need to make an educated decision. This procedure is done in order to normalize the situation of the gums and prevent consequences in the form of a number of diseases.
- Also one of the functions of the operation may be to restore the proportions of the jaw. Usually these issues are handled by an orthodontist, but if conservative methods are not effective and the situation is becoming too neglected, then resort to the help of a surgeon. It produces a lengthening or shortening of the zygomatic arches, which helps to restore the correct proportions. Sometimes, without such interventions, it is impossible to influence the location of the dentition. This procedure is quite complicated and the doctor needs for another two to three months to monitor the process of correction and restoration.
- Flap surgery is performed in several situations. This treatment of periodontitis, and the correction of the gums when it is thinning and destruction of the jawbone. Such intervention involves the excision and applying small patches in the oral mucosa on the right place. Just ten days, that the fabric caught on the new site. Before you apply the flaps, the surgeon removes the entire diseased epithelium, the sources of infection and even polishes the tooth surface.
- One of the most popular procedures with periodontitis or periodontal disease is curettage. This is a special kind of interference when trying to excise the affected area, and using a special instrument called curette better cleaning of the periodontal pockets to remove subgingival stone, as well as to deliver to this remote area need medication. Such drugs can be and antiseptics for treating pockets of bacteria, and anti-inflammatories, and even a special soothing and regenerating substances which help the tissues recover faster.
- As already mentioned for implantation, the surgeon carries out a transfusion or bone grafting. But such actions can be caused not only by the necessity to place dental implants, but in other cases, as an independent therapeutic procedure. Typically, this use of human, animal or synthetic fabric that helps to build up the necessary bone volume in a patient.
Such complex manipulations are carried out in a clean operating room with sterile instruments and under General anesthesia. Anesthesia can be local or systemic, depending on the degree of intervention and patient characteristics. Most often, in addition to surgeon, this procedure is involved and the nurse.
Sometimes resorting to the help of a complex intervention is needed at a relatively healthy oral tissues. This may be cases of uneven distribution of the gums or other defects, which create aesthetic problems. Such methods of correction include:
- Gingivoplasty – very similar to the patchwork operation, but differs in some nuances. Most often resorted to it due to abnormal location of the gums.
- Vestibuloplasty – to expand the vestibule of the oral cavity. If the nature of it is too small, sometimes you need to move facial muscles a little deeper. Thus, the problem of speech defects and prevent certain diseases of periodontal tissue.
- Frenuloplasty – the people this process is known as undercutting of the frenulum in the area of the lips or tongue. Such an anomaly is detected in childhood and the sooner it will be eliminated, the greater the number of problems can be prevented in the future. So, a wrong tie can lead to speech difficulties, slurring of speech, the formation of gaps between the units etc.
- Surgical removal of gingival recession (too small amount), especially in the case of exposed tooth roots and the need to hold additional patchwork operation for its restoration. Thus, the doctor takes tissue from one part of the mouth and dropping it on the desired area. Just ten days for recovery and correction.
Work with children
Particularly difficult in surgical treatment is considered to be the conduct of operations in children. Because they are afraid of any doctor and dental instruments and chair scares them shitless. If it comes about the surgeon, the panic can cause a child to refuse any contact with the dentist.
In addition, the difficulty with them lies in the correct selection of medicines, especially anesthesia. It can be carried out only for a short period, with minimal doses and preferably not in the form of injections and in the form of applications.
Because of this, the surgeon must be very accurately and quickly to manipulation, while a small dose of anesthetic effect. All the time you need to talk with the child, calming him and distracting from the scary thoughts.
To perform the operation the special requirements in pediatric dentistry surgeon to undergo additional training. Also the complexity of such procedures affects the duration of working time, which in this case is reduced by the labor regulations.
How to learn?
Learning about what constitutes the profession of a dental surgeon, some may want to become demanded specialists. In addition, to understand who he is and what treats you need to understand the peculiarities of learning and achieving sufficient qualifications.
To get such education, you should enroll in one of higher educational institutions that train specialists of this kind. This is usually in the medical field, but it is important to review the list to be sure to specify a dentist.
Next is a more accurate distribution, usually on the last training courses for therapists, orthodontists, implantologists, surgeons, etc., and even knowledge needed to a lot and take a considerable amount of hours of practice, these efforts will pay off in future salary.
You should study for at least five years, while obtaining such education involves full-form. Requirements each year, and all the items will be quite high, often conducted testing and exams, after which you can get for elimination. In addition to theory, considerable attention is paid to practical classes.
Hoping for a big salary, to choose such a specialization only on this basis is not necessary. After all, if you dislike the profession you can make frequent mistakes, not paying enough attention to patients and their problems. And this is fraught with serious consequences. Only the desire to constantly improve, to help people in the best possible way to carry out all manipulations rely on the fact that you will become a good and popular doctor.
Video: talks about implant dental surgeon.
► A dental therapist and dental surgeon: what’s the difference?
The main difference of these specialists that effects on tissues. If the first does conservative treatment with medication and simple dental instruments, the latter holds more drastic cleaning methods, a significant correction of the bones, soft tissues, etc. that did not respond to a usual therapeutic effects, sometimes can be corrected only surgically. But these two doctors should always work closely to maximize correctly and efficiently to help the patient.