Oral thrush in children: fungal stomatitis, treatment
What is oral thrush in children, some parents learn shortly after birth, when faced with lots of problems. Symptoms can be very different depending on the stage of the disease if left untreated in time, can hurt internal organs. Therefore, it is important to know about the signs of the inflammatory process to prevent its development and to take appropriate preventive measures.
Fungal stomatitis is infectious in nature, pathogens — fungi of the genus Candida. It is passed from person to person in various ways, for example, an infant can get the disease during childbirth, then when feeding through contact with other people and also by airborne droplets. Special attention should be paid to the health of the mother, as it most frequently and directly in contact with the child.
In this weakened protective forces of an organism immature — a significant risk factor. Additionally it is influenced by hormonal drugs and antibiotics, somatic severe disease, disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. But the systemic manifestations of candidiasis and its difficult treatment — specific symptoms of diabetes.
Do not forget about basic oral hygiene, coupled with delayed treatment of dental caries, this factor provokes the emergence and development of the disease.
Additional risk factors
So, if the disease was detected in a newborn, is an indication of its transmission from mother to child, it is necessarily examined for the presence of urogenital yeast infection. In other cases, we are talking about the failure to comply with hygiene standards and infection through pacifier and toys. But nesformirovannost immune system may be weakened and in connection with other factors:
- Frequent and long hospital stay of the child;
- Feeding exclusively by artificial means;
- The use of certain drugs such as immunosuppressants, antibiotics, corticosteroids, cytotoxic drugs;
- Use in baby food mixes with a sugar content;
- Wearing orthodontic appliances — braces, various plates;
- Of a malignant tumor.
It is from the strength of the protective forces of an organism of the child depends on how the disease would develop. Even if the infection does not pass, it will not cause significant damage, if the time to begin to strengthen the immune system.
Stage of development
It is worth to mention that the yeast is not something alien, it is part of the normal microflora of the mucous membranes. The problem begins when they start to multiply on a large scale and balance of the inner ecosystem of the body no longer holds. Here’s how it progresses:
- The initial stage. During this period there are some changes of which are difficult to observe visually, also is not present any additional symptoms;
- The second stage. Whitish plaque appears on the back of the tongue, inner cheeks, and sometimes on the palate, tonsils, throat. The lesions are covered with a film having a cheesy consistency, attempts to remove it can cause mild bleeding. Thus, depending on the extent of the condition, the child may experience pain, red and swollen mucosa;ü
- The third stage. They have difficulties in eating, have taste buds, it becomes difficult and painful to swallow. Observed cracking of the corners of the mouth, tongue like cotton;
- In the final stage. With limfatica infection gets into the internal organs, where it is actively developing, if you do not take the necessary measures.
How to diagnose the disease
The features described above of a particular stage of the disease helping to understand how she managed to develop. The external signs most clearly about this signal, at the same time, pay attention to the other manifestations:
- The bad mood of the child. Suddenly he begins to act up, cry for no apparent reason;
- Unpleasant sour smell from the mouth. It appears especially upon waking, at the same time the most visible and plaque;
- The increase in temperature. On the medium and more serious stages, it can reach 38º — 39º;
- Plaque is removed bad. The more complex the stage, the harder it is to remove the cheesy film, the more bleeding mucosa;
- The lack of appetite. Such as provoke additional symptoms — bleeding gums, itching, burning sensation when elementary it hurts to swallow.
The acute form is more common in infants, in older children oral thrush in children becomes chronic. You can tell by the swelling of the mucosa in the morning, a light brown plaque, dry mouth, difficulty in eating.
Before you put the little patient fungal stomatitis, specialist to inspect. First identified the visible signs — the plaque and its characteristics at the current stage, be sure to interview the mother of the child on the periodic signs of sickness.
It is important to identify all the objective prerequisites, for example, thrush may occur due to the specifics of the development, taking antibiotics is important and if there are any parents. In the end, the patient is taken scraping the language for the definition of candidiasis in the laboratory.
What drugs can prescribe
After verifying the health status and refinement stage of the disease should immediately begin treatment. Among the recommended tools are:
- Sea buckthorn oil for lubrication of mucous membranes, vitamin A;
- A solution of boric acid (2%);
- Preparations for irrigation of the oral cavity, containing active ingredients such as nystatin, clotrimazole, natamycin. For example, «Diflucan» and «Candida», which is suitable for the little ones.
The course must be at least a week, this daily procedure is repeated with a certain periodicity as directed by your healthcare doctor.
Treatment of candidal stomatitis in children, especially infants, should take maximum precautions on the part of parents. By the way, the RAID may not be an infectious disease as a result of the dairy diet. But once you have gone through a study and found that the baby fungal stomatitis, you must start with the sterilization of all children’s dishes and toys. For example, a pacifier is helpful to keep before use in a normal soda solution that kills dangerous microorganisms. Using it you can handle the mouth of the child, moistened in the liquid with a cotton swab and gently swiping her mucous. If mom is breastfeeding, hygiene is extremely important to use a cleanser to once a day.
The detection of this disease in parents to be treated should they, otherwise a relapse is inevitable and will have to start all over again. The risk of recurrence in a child thrush is that it can lead to immunodeficiency, diabetes, chronic vitamin deficiency.
The first thing to keep in mind prescribed a course it is important to be completely without interruption due to improvements. Even if all the signs are gone and don’t bother the baby, that’s no reason to voluntarily complete therapy at the personal discretion of the parents. At such tactics in the future to eliminate a recurrence, you will need to use stronger drugs, which is not good for the immune system.
Second, only a doctor can determine which remedy to prescribe, in what dose will be used and how to apply it. For every age is your antifungals — sprays, ointments, lozenges, etc.
Severe stage of the disease require treatment in addition to the General purpose of vitamins and immunostimulatory drugs. Concomitant symptoms are also given attention, for example, are used to treat it.
Special diet food should be warm and easy to digest, non-irritating mucous membranes, that is, excluded sweet, spicy and sour. After the end of the course to come to the dentist for preventive reception.
The first thing to remember is that oral thrush in the past forever, you need to carefully monitor the hygiene of the oral cavity, teach it to the younger generation. As a preventive measures should:
- Pay attention to the diet — it is necessary to add more food of vegetable origin. Health should be a sufficient amount of vitamins, and fatty and fried foods should be abandoned;
- Not to abuse antibiotics, the rate may not exceed 5-7 days;
- Treat toys with a certain periodicity, ensure the highest possible cleanliness and sterility in the house;
- Ensure that the child is not in contact with a carrier of the disease, for example, in the garden;
- As stimulating the natural immunity means suitable herbal remedies — tincture of ginseng or Echinacea;
- The young mother should carefully monitor the hygiene during pregnancy, to cure vaginal candidiasis prior to delivery.
If at observance of all precautions, the disease returns, it is a reason to ask for more thorough examination.