Orthognathic occlusion: what it is, characteristics, symptoms
Orthognathic occlusion is part of a beautiful and healthy smile. That is, how to achieve it, the basic characteristics and indications of correct positioning of the teeth described below. After all, trying to achieve this for every orthodontist to their patients.
Of course, this is not the only factor by which to judge the health of teeth, but one of the most important that promotes good oral hygiene, proper chewing of food, adequate to the formation of facial contours and prevents the formation of deposits on the enamel surface.
What is orthognathic bite?
In medicine, the definition of occlusion as the ratio of the upper and lower jaws to each other, their location relative to each other in a tightly closed condition. The most optimal and physiologically correct is considered orthognathic (or normal, nonmagnetically), which means in Greek «video upper jaw».
This arrangement of the dentition is provided by the special anatomical structure of the skull, when the facial and maxillary bones have a single vertical plane. It orthognathic occlusion is considered the standard to which I try to bring the position of the jaws in patients during orthodontic treatment and correction.
At the same time observed a large number of points of contact in Central occlusion. Due to this arrangement ensures the correct physiological functioning of the teeth, evenly distributed load on them and the gums, there is no risk of mucosal injury, and complete the food is chewed, which also affects the gastro-intestinal tract.
Signs and characteristics
Develop a particular form of occlusion in childhood, up to two years. Its formation is influenced by many factors like bad habits, nutrition, the presence of solid food in the diet and so the Correct stress on chewing muscles and congenital features of the structure of the bones and lead to the formulation of the teeth with orthognathic occlusion.
On reception at the dentist it can be determined in the following important ways:
- The incisors of the upper jaw only 1/3 overlapping the lower or even less. Closed up they are closely attached to each other without forming gaps or crevices. If the upper jaw is at the bottom more than 2-3 mm, it is called a malocclusion with a deep cutting overlap and require orthodontic intervention.
- Almost all units have the so called antagonist is opposed tooth on the other jaw, to which he adheres. The exception may be «eight» and the Central tooth of the lower jaw.
- The position of the front incisors corresponds to the facial axis of the skull.
- With this malocclusion is not a single defect, as, for example, the aesthetic curvature of the oval of the face, the function of chewing food, swallowing, articulation, etc.
- Shall be no cracks or gaps between the clenched jaws, as the occlusion with the protrusion of the front teeth of evidence already of violation needs to be corrected. Also eliminated the crowding.
- Themselves dental arches should be of the correct form, lower a little less than the top.
- The slope units in the direction of the mouth, but not too pronounced.
- With the exception of fangs, each tooth has a smaller size than the previous one starting from the front incisors.
- The top row of units must overlap the lower, and not Vice versa.
- The junction of the teeth is reminiscent of the scissors, which enables a complete chewing of food and other useful features.
- Chewing surface on the upper row of teeth is described as concave in the sagittal plane, respectively, in the mandible it is convex.
Why is it important to have a proper bite?
Most people go to the dentist when very concerned about the condition of the patients teeth, severe defects of the smile, etc. to Detect and time to correct the bite preferably in childhood, but for this you need to visit the orthodontist for a checkup.
Usually malocclusion found in more Mature age, when they have created other serious problems. The doctor adjusts and tries to bring them back to normal, that is, to bring to the state orthognathic position. Right bite provides:
- uniform load on the bone during chewing;
- helps the digestive system due to the high quality of the initial processing of food;
- good diction, speech defect, is responsible for articulation;
- does not violate the breath;
- aesthetic appearance when the shape of the face has the correct neat shape without distortion;
- beautiful smile;
- facilitates hygiene care, which in turn contributes to the health of the oral cavity for a long period of time;
- eliminates injury to the mucous membrane, the gums, increased tooth wear and other problems.
Do you need treatment and how it is done?
Itself orthognathic bite is considered a benchmark of what to strive for orthodontic treatment. Nevertheless, in most cases, the correct positioning of the jaws may need some correction:
- even with a good closure of the upper and lower jaws, the teeth can be broken, with a curved facing units smile will not cause a good impression;
- too large incisors compared to the rest is also considered a defect that requires additional attention from the physician;
- some other individual cases the location of the teeth, which bear consequences for the normal functioning of a number.
Each orthodontist decides what action will be taken to remedy the defect. Sometimes it is enough to install braces or plates, and in some cases will require the removal of a tooth or another serious correction.
Video: what is right and wrong bite?
To prevent the development of any anomalies of the teeth or bite, you need to follow these medical recommendations:
- get rid of the habit to have a snack lips;
- not to give the child suck their thumb or too long to get addicted to a pacifier, wean from it before the age of 1.5-2 years;
- keep breast feeding and artificial nutrition proper positioning of the bottle relative to the baby’s mouth;
- to eat solid food from an early age, providing adequate load on the jaw;
- time to get rid of ENT diseases, so they are not passed in the chronic form and does not break the breath;
- to avoid a too long absence of dental pieces with their loss, in this case, you should install implants, or other suitable types of dentures to save the load on the jaw and filling the dentition in order to avoid displacement of adjacent units;
- timely treatment of gingivitis and periodontal tissues to prevent loosening and loss of healthy teeth;
- observe the correct position of the head during sleep;
- follow the normal recommendations for daily oral hygiene and to visit a doctor for preventive checkups every six months.
Not always the anatomical structure responsible for the bone defects of the bite. Most often the man himself, his habits, and way of life shall bring the condition of the teeth and mouth to the wrong location and development of various diseases and pathologies. But if the time to correct the natural features, it is possible to eliminate their negative impact on the initial stages to make a beautiful smile and the health of the entire body.