Peri-implantitis: symptoms, pictures, treatment
Those who have dealt with dentures, you know about what is peri-implantitis, but the symptoms and treatment is not known to all. In this informative article we will talk about the disease.
What information will be useful not only to those who have faced this disease, but for patients who currently use implants in the oral cavity.
What is peri-implantitis?
Periimplantitis is an inflammatory process which is accompanied by damage to both bone and soft tissue surrounding the implant, with the possible destruction of bone tissue. First it is thinner then decreases its amount in the affected area.
Infection can occur as soon as possible after implant placement, and after some time (months or even years). On average, the disease suffers 15-20% of patients with implants.
Why is peri-implantitis? The etiology is well researched and identifies factors contributing to the emergence of the disease:
- The quality of implants installed in the patient, any implant is a foreign body and sometimes the body does not perceive it. The situation becomes more complicated if he has not passed the required inspections or he did fake, what poor quality might not even be the whole denture, but only part of it.
- Medical error during the installation of the implant, this can be attributed to the failure of the sterility of the procedure, incorrect assessment of the characteristics of the implant and inclinations of the patient. For example, some structural elements may be incorrectly attached to the bone, when it is installed under the gum can form a hematoma that will eventually fester.
- Improper care of the patient of the oral cavity and design — the most common cause. Fixed implant contributes to the accumulation of plaque, which must be carefully removed, what is often neglected by patients. An important element of the care of the prosthesis can be called frequent visits to the dentist (preferably the same and set design).
- Commitment to bad habits;
- Chronic teeth and gum disease (e.g. gingivitis) or of the whole body (diabetes).
Peri-implantitis is often confused with other inflammatory diseases of the soft periodontal tissues, it may harm the treatment process and the condition of the oral cavity.
- significantly increases the bleeding of gums in the area of the problem tooth;
- the installed prosthesis can have a noticeable wobble or is in an unnatural position;
- the gums in the affected area moves away from the tooth, its condition is worse;
- on the gums may form a fistula, which will ooze out a liquid – a consequence of the processes of suppuration inside the tooth;
- the tissue around the tooth starts to hurt, turns bright red, stands out against the background of healthy tissues.
The disease is difficult to diagnose yourself, so when you see these symptoms in the area of the implant, we recommend you immediately contact your dentist.
At first glance at the affected area catches the eyes with swelling and redness of the gums with light pressure, can ooze blood mixed with pus. If you click on the implant, it will be noticeable its mobility. The dentist can examine the gums with the help of special optical devices (to perform somatoscope).
► Testing of the status and functioning of the implant
For full diagnosis you need to do some samples in a clinical setting, for example, a hygiene index (the index Fedorova-Volodkina), periodontal index Russell etc.
► Dental radiography
Remains the most important element in diagnosis, with its help get the most detailed information on the condition of the affected areas.
As an additional means of diagnosis using laboratory tests (cytological and bacteriological). Sometimes doctors disregard these methods of diagnosis, and they can give plenty of information about the disease, to simplify treatment and prevention.
The classification is carried out depending on the complexity of the disease and is divided into 4 degrees:
- The color change of soft tissues and slight staggering of the implant. Observed a slight pain. The gums in the problem area can change form.
- The implant is constantly moving, the pain can increase. The gum recedes from the surface, changing the size of the bone.
- Reduced bone height over the entire length of the implant and the gums significantly departs from it. At the same time, exposed some of the elements of the prosthesis.
- The last stage, the bone in the affected area is susceptible to processes of deterioration.
To make it easier to determine whether or not you’re dealing with snoring, you must know how he looks like. For this we provide you with a few photos.
Treatment of peri
Peri-implantitis requires complex treatment, it can be performed through surgical intervention, and without it. The cost of such treatment 600R 1 application.
Treatment is via surgical intervention takes place in several key stages:
- prep highlights — the cleansing of the entire oral cavity, anesthesia. Procedures conducted by the dentist with special preparations and devices so as not to bring additional infection when surgery;
- the autopsy problem areas — if around the implant takes place, the suppuration, then carry out cleaning of the periodontal space. All these procedures must be performed under anesthesia;
- after cleaning problem areas, the dentist must inspect the fastening of the implant and to treat it with drugs such as hydrogen peroxide;
- upon completion of the procedures, the dentist will appoint the accompanying treatment, and encourages to constantly go for tests.
Stages of surgical intervention can be changed by the doctor, given the characteristics of each specific case. It is desirable that these treatments did the doctor who installed the implant.
If the disease has not gone too far, surgical intervention can be avoided, but then not be able to, for example, affect the condition of the bones in the problem area. Non-surgical treatment is carried out in several stages:
- the antibiotics and pain relief of the affected area;
- is a removal of the prosthesis with its subsequent refining and purification;
- with a laser or other devices carry out the improvement of the problem area and the implant;
- prosthesis previously developed and refined, set in place;
- prescribers for the subsequent care of the oral cavity.
Therapy of peri-implantitis varies depending on the stage at which the disease.
In the initial stages of the disease take the following actions:
- prep measures;
- surgical incision on the gums, exposure of bone in the problem area;
- purification and recovery of damaged tissues;
- care implant it correction;
- the adoption of measures to stop bleeding gums in the problem area
- the stitching of the incision prescriptions needed for follow-up treatment;
At more advanced stages of the disease, treatments aimed at restoration and rehabilitation of bone in the damaged area:
- preparation of the oral cavity, the incision on the gums in the problem area;
- an autopsy bone with subsequent extraction of the implant. After removal, the place of his stay is subjected to a thorough cleaning;
- carried out the restoration of bone tissue in the affected area, after which the wound is sealed with a membrane;
- after that, the area of opening must be stitched, and prescribe medication;
- at the last stage of therapy, a second implantation.
All these stages can take strings of up to 6 months.
Re-installation of the implant does not guarantee that the disease will not reappear, but the vast majority of patients do not feel discomfort. This is due to the thorough sanitation of the oral cavity, and peri-implantitis affected areas in particular.
The prognosis for oral cavity will improve greatly if you regularly visit the dentist, who was involved in the installation of the implant and its maintenance. If you see at the slightest symptoms of recurrence of peri-implantitis, immediately consult a specialist, timely action will save your teeth and money.
Video: removing the old implants and put new in periimplantitis
To avoid peri-implantitis, follow these guidelines:
- constantly get care with a specialist;
- care for the oral cavity, teeth and implants, you should purchase a special brush and toothpaste, but it is also important to regularly care for your teeth;
- pass treatments specialized care implants;
- avoid excessive loads on the implant and its physical damage.
► Code for ICD-10
According to the International classification of diseases, periimplantitis is in the section «Inflammatory disease of the jaws» and has the code K10.2
► Is it possible to treat peri-implantitis folk remedies?
At home to cure it is impossible, because the process of resorption (resorption) of bone requires immediate intervention of a dentist. After he will carry out all necessary procedures can rinse your mouth with natural antiseptics, for example, a decoction of chamomile. On this account also it is necessary to consult a doctor.