Perikoronit (pericoronitis): symptoms and treatment photo
Quite a popular problem among modern people is perikoronit (pericoronitis). Describe the symptoms and treatment show pictures of this disease to navigate, what to do when something like this occurs.
People call it the «wisdom tooth» and the doctors called «eight». Scientifically it is correct to call the third molar. Pericoronitis most often occurs during the eruption of these units.
What is it?
History of disease affects long periods. Millennial existence of mankind, some of our bodies have changed and that goes for the jaw. It became smaller as the load on the masticatory apparatus is much decreased. The person does not have to chew raw meat or other solid food.
But because the number of teeth remains the same! The result for me is not enough. And when it begins to erupt last in a series of unit, that is, «wisdom tooth», there are serious complications. As noted by dentists, such problems concern many people. And modern medicine can offer a number of solutions. The main thing is to seek help in time.
Pericoronitis or pericoronitis is an inflammation and suppuration of the gum tissue around the tooth in its eruption. This usually applies to those «eights». Due to lack of space it can be placed at different angles and thus to injure adjacent healthy one. And he constantly gingival hood covering part of the tooth, leading to painful sensations and additional trouble.
The types of the disease
Classification of the disease depends on the causes and complexity of the problem. There are the following varieties:
- The catarrhal is the first stage of pericoronitis and it is best to treat it at this stage. Observed most of the symptoms except the purulent process, but they are easy to fix and they are in the form of light.
- Ulcer appears as a result of infection of various tissues by bacteria. Characterized by a specific kind of necrotic rim on the edge of the gums. In this form of the disease it is impossible to apply surgical treatment.
- Sharp – a clear inflammatory process in tooth eruption. There are all signs of pericoronitis, and ignoring them or self-medication will lead to the next stages.
- Purulent subacute isolated – the so-called chronic condition of the gums with the constant inflammation, pain, presence of purulent discharge and temperature of about 38 degrees. While enlarged lymph nodes, and the patient is very difficult to even open his mouth for inspection.
- Positivley – in this case, the outflow of pus broken, and he’s going under the gums, but also extends to the supraspinous tissue, which leads to rather serious complications. The pain is unbearable, and the temperature can be above 38. To open the mouth of such a patient is difficult and we have to use force.
If you understand why there is this complication in a patient, it is possible to identify the main causes:
- Hard eruption «wisdom teeth» because of the wrong direction, rising at an angle, there is insufficient space in the jaws.
- A frequent injury of the soft tissues located above the tooth.
- Inflammatory processes in the oral cavity when the infection spreads to the area where it started to erupt, «eight».
In fact, a similar etiology inflammation of the affects and difficulties in the location of the last in a series of units, and the presence of pathogenic bacteria, which in the normal state does not always cause infection.
Indeed, in the oral cavity are always present staphylococci, streptococci and various anaerobic bacteria, which, when healthy units do not affect the microflora. But when you cut through the «wisdom tooth», part of the gums can cover, and under it often get remnants of food, to clean which is quite difficult. It becomes a favorable place for active multiplication of bacteria, leading to inflammation and the other nasty symptoms.
Because incorrect positioning of the tooth and gums provoke her permanent injury and bleeding, the problem will only get worse and all the symptoms very fast growing, actively moving from the initial stage in acute and then chronic.
The sooner will be carried out diagnosis, the sooner a patient seeks help from a doctor, the easier it is to fix the problem and prevent the development of complex pathologies. Here are the main symptoms that you should pay attention to:
- The presence of pain immediately tell the patient that something is wrong. This is the first and obvious signal problems.
- When significant inflammation is hampered mouth opening, and the more chewing and swallowing food.
- Soft tissues begin to swell.
- If «wisdom tooth» is at an angle, it always injures the next person, causing a variety of unpleasant feelings in a healthy one.
- Increased lymph nodes located near the third lower molars.
- In the final stages begins to stand out pus and there is a persistent bad breath.
- Chronic disease is also accompanied by an increase in temperature.
Most of these symptoms are hard to miss and ignore. The important thing is to consult a doctor immediately at the first signs and not wait for the situation to get worse.
Depending on stage and complexity of the disease the doctor prescribes a different treatment:
- During the initial catarrhal form adequate can be simple herbal rinse or medicated solutions, anti-inflammatory, disinfectant.
- If it came to septic processes, there can not do without the excision of the hood and taking antibiotics, which stop the growth of bacteria and help with healing.
- Often after elimination of obvious symptoms of the disease, the doctor makes the decision about the removal of «wisdom teeth». If it is the wrong location and the eruption led to such complication, it is likely that the problem will not end. So much better for the patient if the tooth is removed completely, the more that functional load it doesn’t.
Is similar surgery under local anesthesia so the patient feels no pain at all manipulation by a physician. However, after serious intervention is necessary to drink a course of antibiotics and other anti-inflammatory drugs to accelerate wound healing. Also prescribed an antiseptic mouthwash.
Be afraid that will remove the healthy unit is not necessary, because the third molar is devoid from the nature of some special functions. For chewing it is possible not to use, and leave for the sake of future support for the prosthesis is also pointless – it will not sustain the intended load. Therefore, most doctors simply removed the unit, not to bring in the future to serious consequences.
A special way you have to treat this issue in pregnancy. At this time, due to hormonal changes often appears perikoronit, but to treat it are also valid. It is believed that after 16 weeks of pregnancy, you can do the excision of the hood. Up to this point it is better to do a normal medicinal or folk a gargle.
Is it possible to cure in house conditions?
Dentists are categorically against the home treatment of such problems, as it often leads to more severe and neglected forms of the disease. So, if you rinse your mouth with chamomile, iodine, solutions of salt or baking soda, oak bark, sage and other folk remedies for reducing the inflammation of soft tissues, help this procedure can only in milder forms.
The very same problem as the incorrect location of the group, the complexity of the eruption and the presence of gingival formed hood is not eliminated. Often requires the removal of this unit, and to do that in house conditions it is impossible. In addition, ignoring the symptoms come more quickly the more complex the chronic stage cure that rinsing will not work.
To understand what can cause self-treatment, tell you about the most common consequences of running pericoronitis:
- When suppuration infection spreads to adjacent tissue, causing serious abscesses and cellulitis.
- The abundance of pus and pathogenic bacteria can lead to the development of osteomyelitis of the entire jaw.
- If the affected lymph nodes are eventually diagnosed lymphadenitis.
- Also, the formation of such problems as ulcerative stomatitis, actinomycosis and other diseases of the healthy units of the dentition.
Obviously it is much better to fix the problem at the very beginning of its appearance, than to admit to such a serious and sometimes dangerous disease.
Video: pericoronitis says the dentist.
Of course, to eliminate the possibility of improper eruption «wisdom teeth» will not work. It depends on the nature and structure of the jaw of a particular person. But in order to prevent serious complications and the appearance of inflammation or of purulent processes, you can make a simple General dental practices:
- Regular cleaning and care oral hygiene in General will protect your teeth from many problems of this kind.
- Periodic visit to the dentist will help to detect difficulties in the teething unit and will give the diagnosis in the earliest stages, which will significantly facilitate the treatment.
- Access to a doctor at any sign of illness will also lead to the rapid elimination of inflammation and prevent serious complications.
The dentist in turn must make a visual inspection of the oral cavity, but in the case of certain complaints to conduct x-ray examination, which will be clearly visible bad tooth and will give the opportunity to make the right decision in choosing the treatment options.
► Code for ICD-10
According to the International classification such diseases as acute perikoronit has code К05.2, which relates to the class called «Gingivitis and periodontal disease».