Periodontal abscess-pictures, symptoms, treatment, causes
One of the common diseases of soft tissue is a periodontal abscess. Show his picture, tell you about the symptoms, treatment and causes to be able to react to a problem and to consult a doctor for help.
It is known that most diseases do not pass by themselves and need to do anything to fix the root cause of it. In the case of a periodontal abscess, the situation is the same. If it is not treated, the infection reaches the bone tissue and cause more serious consequences cure that will be much harder.
We will understand first, why there is such a problem. If you look from a scientific point of view, any purulent abscess refers to the abscess. When the infection gets into the gum pockets and causes there an inflammatory process, doctors speak about periodontal abscess.
For the average person it looks quite clearly – there is redness under any tooth rounded, very sore and may emit pus. This history suggests that you need to go to the doctor for help.
Etiology, i.e. the causes of abscess in dentistry distinguish the following:
- diseases of the soft tissues – gingivitis, periodontal disease, periodontitis, etc.;
- mechanical damage, injuries, burns;
- medical errors with dentures or fillings.
In each case pathogens get into periodontal pockets and under favorable conditions to thrive. In one area in addition to accumulate bacteria and white blood cells that attempt to neutralize their effect, and the serum and the particles of dead tissue. All this for a simple layman looks like pus.
If time does not go to the clinic and not be treated, the abscess in a short time will increase the size of a pea to a walnut, the pain will become unbearable and the infection will spread to the neighbouring tissues. This can lead to serious diseases, tooth loss and deformation of facial contours.
To identify and diagnose the problem easily enough, because it manifests visible signs:
- in the first stages of a light touch in the affected area causes severe pain, which over time increases and causes suffering even when chewing;
- any changes in temperature, ingestion of hot or cold food also end up uncomfortable feelings;
- over time, the site appears in the swelling, at first of small size, which gradually increases;
- from touch and pressure may begin to loose a healthy one;
- from the cracks between the affected gum and tooth pus;
- also people are experiencing the common signs of intoxication – headaches, fever, weakness, nausea, loss of appetite, insomnia.
You need to understand that if the gums or tooth aches and day discomfort only growing, you should immediately consult a doctor. In rare cases, purulent accumulations themselves out and the patient’s condition returns to normal. But even so, you need to seek qualified help, as the infection will soon provoke re-infection.
Especially dangerous similar symptoms during pregnancy or in children when to delay medical intervention impossible. After all, these groups of patients even lung infection spreads quickly throughout the body and can lead to serious consequences in the shortest possible time.
Form of the disease
The speed and intensity of the development of an abscess and symptoms of its occurrence there are two main types:
- Acute with severe symptoms, a sharp increase of pain and other sensations, pathological loosening of the teeth, the formation of deep gum pockets filled with pus, symptoms of severe intoxication. This disease develops quickly and in a few days shall bring a man to a pronounced deterioration.
- Chronic – erased the picture, in which there is only periodic bleeding of the soft tissues, soreness, tooth roots can become bare and visible purulent foci of inflammation. Without treatment this form may at any time escalate and become more pronounced.
Usually, the doctor already at the initial examination understands what illness is faced. But for precision diagnosis and also for evaluation of the source of infection, conduct additional procedures:
- a blood test and PCR;
It is important to detect, not whether the spread of purulent process in the bone tissue, and also to differentiate the disease from acute periodontitis, osteomyelitis and other similar symptoms.
Any independent intervention in purulent process can aggravate the problem. So try as quickly as possible to get on consultation to the doctor for a full examination and treatment. Still, while waiting for the reception you can take some steps to ease the General condition:
- Rinsing with antiseptic solutions, as Furatsilin, Chlorhexidine, etc. to Heat, the best temperature for the procedure – room or 20-25 degrees, not more.
- With the same purpose and use decoctions of herbs – camomile, sage, St. John’s wort.
- To relieve pain it is recommended to apply ice or a cold compress to the cheek from the affected area.
- From pharmacy drugs do not cost anything to make. If there is severe pain, then it is permissible to drink a pain reliever sold without prescription. No other medications to use until a doctor is not necessary.
- It is useful to clean the affected area and the teeth from food debris.
When a periodontal abscess is strictly prohibited to heat the gum and can squeeze an abscess or puncture it. Any antibiotics or other drugs without prescription can lubricate symptoms that complicate diagnosis.
Treatment of periodontal abscess surgically
To completely eliminate the infection and inflammation have to do a little operation:
- Occurs opening of periodontal abscess with the help of special tools.
- Conduct drainage, that is, the complete removal of pus from the soft tissues.
- Also clean them of dead skin particles, blood clots, etc.
- The wound and mucous membrane around it is treated with antiseptics.
- The doctor will prescribe painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs.
What to do after the surgery?
Additionally, to speed up the healing process, the dentist may advise to use immunostimulatory drugs, as well as physical therapy treatments, for example iontophoresis.
It is important during this period to the following rules:
- avoid solid foods;
- to give up alcohol and Smoking;
- take only those medicines which have been prescribed by a doctor;
- taking pain to stop when the sensation becomes bearable;
- for any signs of deterioration seek help at the clinic.
After some time, you should re-doctor to check the status of the tissue, to ensure complete purification and termination of the inflammatory process. The treatment itself will take 1-2 weeks. This period is sufficient to ensure that all unpleasant symptoms ceased.
If you run periodontal abscess, then very quickly it will lead to serious consequences. It could be inflammation of the bone, and the emergence of chronic diseases of the mouth and even spread of infection in the region of the brain.
Complications after surgery may also manifest different symptoms. When re-appearance temperature, the unceasing pain, bleeding or pus should immediately see a doctor. It is possible that not all tissues have been cleared.
Video: cartoon teeth.
To avoid this unpleasant disease, you must adhere to the General dental guidelines:
- hygiene of the mouth, twice a day, brush your teeth;
- to make a rinse after each meal;
- time to treat any diseases of the hard and soft tissues;
- visit the dentist regularly for checkups;
- try to avoid mechanical damage of the mucosa and trauma.
It is better to prevent illness than to deal with then her treatment. After all, the price for surgery will be high, and the pain will last some time.
► Code for ICD-10
In the International classification of the disease is under К05.2 and is part of a class called Acute periodontitis.