Prevention of stomatitis in children: children up to years
Stomatitis is a disease of the mucous membrane of the oral cavity, manifested by formation of sores. The reason is always the pathogenic microflora in combination with reduced immunity. Therefore, prevention of stomatitis in children includes 2 aspects: strengthening the immune system and quality care.
Differ in the nature of infection and the degree of manifestation of the disease:
- Fungal (thrush) commonly affects infants. Is expressed in the emergence of «cheesy» plaque on the gums, cheeks, and less often language. Accompanied by a manifestation of acute intoxication: high body temperature (up to 400), eating disorders, sleep and a decline in overall activity.
- Herpes. The causative agent is the herpes virus. Household transmitted by contact and airborne droplets. To impress people in any age, but is more susceptible children from 1 year to 3. Against the background of General intoxication: high body temperature, fatigue, headaches there are local signs of herpes. There is redness, there is a bottle of liquid which when opening forms a small erosion. In case of additional infection erosion occurs sore. May occur alone or against other viral diseases. In very severe cases, affects the cardiovascular system.
- Allergic. Should be differentiated from herpes. Occurs on the background of allergic reactions. In treatment it is important to identify the product causing Allergy and avoid contact with him. Used in the treatment of antihistamines and local, promotes healing and reduction of edema.
- Bacterial occurs when the defect of care, is treated with antibacterial drugs. Limited to local manifestations. Bacterial stomatitis is considered a disease of «dirty hands.»
Any oral lesions of the mouth affects the health of the baby. Pain violate food and sleep. Infectious agent affects overall health. In the absence of timely quality care for possible complications.
Signs of stomatitis
Beginning disease is difficult to miss. There is pain, worse when eating. If the child is not able to say he’s gonna be cranky and refuse to eat. Body temperature rises. The saliva becomes viscous, the feeling of dry mouth and burning. When the inspection is determined by redness and swelling of the gums. Notable elements of stomatitis (ulcers, aphthae, erosion).
Treatment requires a comprehensive literacy approach. Is mechanical cleansing of the mouth (rinses and antiseptic treatment) and anti-inflammatory therapy (tablets, application of ointments).
Causes of stomatitis
The main cause of stomatitis in children is a decrease in immunity. To provoke the development of oral pathology any disease, including common cold. But stomatitis is not a manifestation of another disease, is an independent pathology the cause of which is the defect of care and infection.
The main causes of children’s disease:
- Lack of proper hygiene of the oral cavity;
- Chronic disorders in the gastrointestinal tract;
- A disturbance in the food;
- The lack of full treatment for infections;
- Microtrauma of the oral mucosa;
- Taking medications that affect secretion of saliva and its quality indicators;
- Disturbances in the hematopoietic system (anemia);
- Hormonal disturbance.
In children of early age, the disease caused by adult. That would not prevent manifestation of the disease required daily to carefully monitor the health of the child and the climate in the family.
Prevention of stomatitis
The main condition for the prevention of any disease is a good immune response. Stomatitis no exception. The first step is to increase the body’s resistance to disease-causing agents. To provide a healthy environment and teach proper personal hygiene. On these 3 pillars of the baby’s health.
Is in compliance with the simple rules for a healthy lifestyle. What are these rules?
- A full and varied diet containing enough vitamins and minerals. Failing to provide all the necessary nutrients should be courses of vitamin therapy.
- In the diet of children must contain raw vegetables and fruit: apples, carrots, strengthening the gums and teeth. As well as enough meat, fish and dairy products. In the families of vegetarians, the percentage of oral lesions is higher than in the average diet, without restrictions on any products.
- With stomatitis in the diet included more dairy products and dishes gentle oral cavity. Meat is introduced only after the removal of the symptoms of stomatitis, and solid food after a full restoration of the disturbed mucosa.
- Sleep. The child must sleep at least 12 hours a day. That’s 10 hours a night and 2 day. In children under 2 years the day should correspond to its age category. Good sleep contributes to humidification of the air in the bedroom and a daily airing before going to bed.
- Walk. At least 2 hours in winter and 6 in summer. Ideally, to walk with a child 2-4 times a day. While walking the child should move more, walk long distances on foot, to play outdoor games. It should follow that child would not freeze, but do not overheat, both factors reduce the protective properties of the organism. Stomatitis is not a contraindication to walking. But, with headaches and weakness from walking is better to abstain.
- Hardening. Gradually tempering of the child’s birth. You can hold cool water, rinsing legs. Pouring cold water on babies is not recommended. After years after consultation with the pediatrician in the absence of contraindications.
- Physical exercise. The perfect sport for young children is the swimming in the pool. It’s possible to start with 9 months after consultation with a doctor. The beneficial effects of water on physical and mental development increases the interest in the sport.
- During the quarantine, the baby is better to leave the house, even if he is healthy. Unnecessary contact with the infection weakens the body.
- Timely treatment of any disease together with the experts. Self-medication in children is not recommended.
With the defeat of the mucous membrane of the oral cavity of the child should not be led into the garden. Goes untreated the infection is easily transmitted to other children and can become chronic. Both aspects do not add health to the child and his environment.
Personal hygiene involves the maintenance in cleanliness of the mouth, hands and body. In babies under one year still weak protective functions of the body. Before you take the child on hands be sure to wash them with baby soap. Before each feeding, the baby’s chest should be washed with water or wash with baby soap (without fanaticism). If a child gets into a bottle, pacifier or rattle, everything must be carefully handled and scalded with boiling water. Nipples and bottles are boiled for 5 minutes before using. If the child dropped her pacifier should be rinsed with boiled water (cooled) before it returns.
Since the eruption of tooth, the child begins to pull to the mouth. During this period, it is important to treat all that have access to the baby. Toys, everyday things, a crib, a playpen. With the appearance of the first tooth you can begin brushing the kid’s teeth in the morning. A half years 2 times a day. With the proper education to 3 years the child will brush my teeth, but do not leave without control, parents must monitor the quality of the procedure and, if necessary, to help.
- Paste and brush are selected according to age category. 3 years of a child should be taught to rinse your mouth after each meal.
- For the processing of toys you can use alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, special means for cleaning of marked 0+, after processing, rinse with boiled water.
- Hands should be washed before each use look for and after. Morning and evening, after every walk in the street. After using the toilet. But don’t abuse it. The soap should be soft and not dry baby’s skin. If bothersome dryness should reduce the amount of hand washing and provide them with care (baby wipes) after each washing, the soap change with more care.
- It is better to use special baby soap, cream from 0 with the addition of caring agents (for example, celandine, aloe).
- At an early age the children are all trying to taste. This time, it requires constant monitoring by parents. Be as early as possible to wean the baby to take the fingers in his mouth and pull various items.
- Additionally, to follow food of the child. It should not be hot or sharp, it may injure the mucous membrane of the mouth, reducing the protective properties of the organism.
- Microtrauma of the oral cavity should be treated the mouth with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
Not unimportant factor in preventing children’s stomatitis is the annual visit to the dentist’s office and the removal of all identified defects. Compliance with all security measures can prevent the occurrence of disease.
A healthy environment
In the prevention of stomatitis is of great importance habitat of the child.
- Passive Smoking (if in a family someone smokes), the inhalation of soot (in the smoky environment) adversely affect the health of the child. The birth of a child should abandon bad habits, it will benefit the health of both adults and children.
- If you need to heat the stove should be daily to spend damp cleaning with use of detergents which prevent the deposition of dust on the surface and have a bactericidal or bacteriostatic effect.
- Be sure to ventilate the room every day regardless of weather conditions. In winter it is enough to open access to fresh air for 10-15 minutes. In the summer, possibly round the clock.
- If there is ill with stomatitis, limit contact with the child. In acute stomatitis should more carefully handle the dishes and use it strictly individually.
- Tableware for children under 6 years should not be used by adults and better if there is an individual set of each child.
Healthy life and well-organized personal hygiene able to deliver a child and his parents need lengthy and complicated treatment of stomatitis. Any disease is easier to prevent even more prevention of stomatitis does not require the adoption of special measures.