Professional oral hygiene: what is it
Professional oral hygiene is performed by dentists hygienists. The complex procedure lasts about 1-1. 5 hours. As stated by the doctors, this procedure must undergo every person at least once in 6 months. In this article we will explain what professional hygiene of the oral cavity and on its stages.
What causes disease of the teeth and gums
The world Health Organization cites statistics according to which one third of the inhabitants of the planet by the age of 65 lose all their teeth — the reason is bacteria. In the mouth in the norm is about 300 species of microorganisms, most of which are opportunistic. This means that while in the mouth the alkaline environment, they are not able to increase their colony. But as soon as the pH changes, they begin to multiply and have a negative impact on the enamel and gums.
So, by eating sweet or starchy foods acid-alkaline balance is disturbed and begins to form plaque. It represents the accumulation of bacteria, which is similar to a sticky film. This is a film of glycoproteins, living and dead bacteria and their waste of life. This plaque covering the tooth, contributes to the softening of the hardest tissue in the body and leads to tooth decay.
Over time, the plaque is mineralized (in saliva are calcium salts) and becomes a stone. Hard deposits is the source of food for pathogenic bacteria, and their metabolic wastes produce toxins that destroy the enamel and lead to gingivitis. It increases the synthesis of gingival fluid in which many proteins and mineral salts, and they have to taste microorganisms. And here the circle is closed: the more stands out periodontal fluid, the more intensive the growth of deposits on the teeth.
Why it is impossible to remove bacterial plaque completely by yourself
Plaque after brushing. Partially bacteria washed off by saliva or removed mechanically by the use of solid foods (turnips, carrots, Apple). Some of the soft plaque, the person should remove themselves during the daily hygiene of the oral cavity. But even high-quality individual hygiene of cavity of mouth cannot clean hard to reach places, such as:
- the gaps between the teeth;
- cervical region;
- chewing side of the molars;
- the surface of the molars from the side cheeks of the upper dentition;
- the lingual side of the molars of the lower jaw.
Proof that completely remove bacteria from the mouth is impossible, is the so-called physiological halitosis, which appears in the morning. The fact that the remaining after the usual evening cleansing bacteria multiplies rapidly at night as the saliva is almost not generated and does not destroy them.
The tooth is not visible to us, most of it is under the gum and can’t see her, posmotrevshie in the mirror. And the life of the body depends on the integrity of the root, as well as the reliability of the periodontal connection. The gap between the tooth and the periodontal is called pocket, it accumulate bacteria. Over time, the gum begins to form Tartar. It causes inflammation in the bone tissue and the formation of deep gingival pockets, tooth no longer held in the hole. This disease is called periodontitis and its first sign is bleeding gums.
To prevent tooth decay and all the complications that it can cause, periodontal inflammation and thinning of the enamel is required to conduct periodic professional teeth cleaning at the dentist hygienist.
Occupational health: what is needed and its stages
Professional hygiene is a set of measures for the prevention of dental caries and inflammation of the periodontium, which consists in mechanical cleaning of the surface of the enamel subgingival and supragingival deposits.
The main goal of professional hygiene of the oral cavity to completely clean the surface of the body from all types of sediments and bleaching and gloss it is, so to speak, a side effect.
The procedure is performed with the help of professional equipment: ultrasonic and combined machines, dental pastes and brushes.
The stages of professional hygiene of the oral cavity:
- with the help of the ultrasonic device dentist removes deposits, which are located under the gum and on the gum. Head scaler transmits ultrasonic vibrations and simultaneously cooled with water. Upon contact of the apparatus with the tooth is loosening and chipping of dental plaque. Sometimes requires manual cleaning of the subgingival stones. For these purposes curettes — special tool for scraping. Manual and ultrasonic devices tend to complement each other. The cleansing plaque does not influence negatively neither the teeth nor the gums;
- removes the soft plaque from difficult to reach places. Use of air-abrasive devices. Technology is as follows: the surface gets on the air-water mixture, where the used abrasive powder from sodium bicarbonate. Particles of abrasive are round and small, so they do not harm the enamel, clean the tooth and have a polishing effect. After the procedure the teeth remains yellow or brown plaque, they are cleaned to their natural color. As practice shows, the average teeth are whitened two shades;
- polishing teeth and fillings with the help of professional brushes and tools. This is necessary to prevent the rapid formation of dental plaque, since the smoother the surface of the cloves, the more difficult it is to remain bacteria. Applied for removing soft plaque and polishing of the tooth and its root rubber caps filled with a polishing paste. To cleanse the plaque in fissures, physiological, depressions and pits used rotating brush. And brushes and caps work with the aid of micromotor.
Preventive polishing tool can be small medium or large abrasive with fluoride or without it;
- treatment of tooth enamel special remineralizing composition, containing calcium, phosphorus, fluorine. This is done to prevent tooth sensitivity and to enrich the fabric the necessary minerals to strengthen enamel. The dentist covers the teeth fluoride varnish, which several days rests on the teeth and gradually saturates the fabric trace mineral. Sodium fluoride, tin fluoride, monoftorfosfat violate the absorption of pathogenic microorganisms on the surface of enamel and to some extent inhibits glycolysis and glycogenolysis;
- studies of patient equipment cleaning, and recommendations for selecting hygiene products. The physician should indicate what is especially worth paying attention to the patient, for example, strengthening the enamel or to the prevention of caries. Some hygiene products is better to choose together with the dentist, for example, toothpaste (including abrasive) or sizes of pipe cleaners for your teeth. From how correctly and often applies the patient a brush, floss, Waterpik, brush directly depends on the result of the prevention of oral disease.
The hygienist decides which cleaning methods are needed at the moment, so some step can be omitted.
When you need teeth cleaning at the dentist
Enamel people differ in susceptibility to destructive factors in the ability to resist them. Usually, this ability is significantly reduced with age. Therefore, the older a person is, the more time is needed to give the cleansing of the teeth.
Professional teeth cleaning may be performed as the prevention of periodontal disease and caries, or as the first stage of treatment. It should be done before every therapeutic, orthopedic, surgical and orthodontic treatment. Thanks to her oral cavity will be less prone to complications tooth extraction or implant placement. In addition, the initial stages of caries is easier to detect on clean teeth, than under a layer of plaque. Only after removing the plaque, you can determine the natural color of the enamel, which is important in holding the prosthetic tooth or its restoration.
Cleaning the teeth from bacterial plaque has a beneficial effect on periodontal tissues and the enamel begins to enrich mineral substances from toothpastes.
How often to visit the hygienist
As prophylaxis professional teeth cleaning should be performed every six months. This will reduce the risk of stone formation and, as a consequence, the development of diseases of the gums and teeth. If the mouth has a metal construction, for example, braces or crowns and bridges, the effectiveness of self-cleaning is greatly reduced. In this case, to conduct a professional hygiene measures must often, i.e. once a quarter. If the patient has diseases that affect the formation of plaque, the dentist may recommend individual schedule of visits. It depends on:
- the condition of the oral cavity;
- the intensity of tooth decay tooth decay;
- is there a gingivitis (bleeding gums);
- if you have periodontitis, the degree of its severity;
- as far as erupted teeth in children.
Are there any complications after a professional teeth cleaning
On the Internet forums or among friends to hear about professional cleaning negative reviews. People say that after the procedure there was a sensitivity of teeth, started to bleeding gums, lost the filling or the tooth to crack. Similar effects happen if the matter is taken by the doctor is not competent enough.
The need for professional teeth cleaning, and its frequency and phases are determined on an individual basis, and it must be done only by a qualified hygienist, taking into account the clinical picture.
Realizing the need of hygiene of an oral cavity in dentistry, it is not necessary to abandon the procedure and apply in a well-equipped clinic to see the doctor with a good reputation. As a rule, a comprehensive oral hygiene does not cause pain, but there are patients who have sensitive teeth, and cleaning them gives some discomfort. In this case, your doctor may suggest anesthesia in the form of a spray, gel or injection. The cleaning is much cheaper than to fix the destruction from decay, so regular visits to the hygienist and teeth will remain healthy and the funds saved.
Correct and consistent care of teeth gets rid of plaque on the enamel surface, thereby to protect yourself from tooth decay, gum disease and unpleasant mouth odor.