Prosthetics in the absence of a large number of teeth
Loss of attractiveness and integrity of your smile sooner or later for almost every person. Regardless of age, need to make a decision about the choice of prosthetics in the absence of a large number of teeth.
What methods can be used to solve the aesthetic problem, and also restore the functionality of the jaw describe in detail with a description of the pros and cons of each.
Methods of prosthetics if there is a large lack
Prosthetics is the only way to restore the integrity of the series, regain chewing function and natural smile. Depending on the number of lost units and their location will be chosen and more suitable option of the prosthesis. Available designs:
- Removable, which include all types of laminar and clasp dentures.
- Fixed – crowns, bridges, implants.
The decision about the best choice should jointly make the doctor and the patient, as the first may indicate the advantages and disadvantages of each, and the second focuses on the amount you can afford to spend on the procedure.
If the number of lost teeth single, often choose veneers. And with a vast loss need a more reliable and robust construction.
Most popular the option for removable prosthesis is a bridge prosthesis. It is used in case you need to restore from one to four units in a row. In other circumstances required a different design. The more teeth may be restored by the bridge, the less durable will be the prosthesis and its lifetime will be much shorter.
For example, if you lost 2 teeth in a row, the bridge will be the perfect solution and the price and ease of use. When applying ceramics or cermets can be assured that the prosthesis will last more than five years. But the plastic used only on front teeth, because the sidewall is too big for them chewing load, which will lead to rapid destruction of the material.
The technique of this prosthesis is quite simple. Extreme grind teeth and install crowns. And to them are fixed bridge with the necessary number of artificial units. This type of prosthesis is very popular for many decades and is quite a convenient and beneficial solution in most cases lost teeth.
The disadvantages of dental bridges is damage to soft tissues over time, the openness of the neck on the abutment teeth and the ingress of food debris under the structure. And it is impossible to determine if a number is no more than four units in a row.
Prosthetics in the absence of a large number of teeth implies more extensive and reliable construction.
These include skeletal denture and partial made of different materials. Each of them has its pros and cons, features and, of course, they differ greatly in price.
When dropped more than 3 teeth in a row, it is better to make a removable plate on which are fixed artificial teeth. The most convenient of options is considered to be laminar nylon, and all through the following benefits:
- Hypoallergenic material is suitable for a large number of patients.
- Soft and flexible plate feels nicer in your mouth and it is easier to adapt.
- At a constant exploitation there is a gentle effect on the reference unit.
- Nylon does not absorb unnecessary odors, does not change hue due to the more dense structure of the material, in comparison with acrylic.
- Aesthetic component – they are most similar to the natural gums and teeth.
However, there are few minuses:
- Due to the softness of the material it will eventually wear off and wear out.
- Possible and damage to the mucosa, which decreases each year by 1 mm from the continuous pressure of the prosthesis.
- Such material is almost impossible to Polish that can give the teeth a groomed appearance.
- A relatively short service life of the prosthesis up to three years.
- The high price in comparison with the same acrylic analogues.
- Design over time can lose its shape, it periodically needs to be corrected and corrected.
However, this option is quite popular among patients and he often favored.
Such dentures are made of acrylic base to which are attached the artificial one. There are the following advantages of the material:
- Cheapest of all variants.
- Easy, so there is a gentle effect on the abutment teeth.
- Due to the hardness of the material prevents extra load on the gums, which keeps them for a longer period.
- Rapid production than can not boast of no other prosthesis.
Cons too many:
- The possibility of injury to the soft tissues by rubbing the adjacent places.
- There are cases of allergic reactions to the acrylic material.
- The increased porosity causes odour problems and sometimes changes the color of the base.
- If such a record has secured the last remaining teeth, they begin to experience increased load.
- Sometimes the offset of the prosthesis, which causes the diction.
- Bone beneath it will atrophy with time.
Clasp designs have become more modern analogue laminar dentures. They can be both removable and non-removable, have different types of mounts and is also able to replace lost units in any quantity. Important caveat – in the mouth should remain at least some natural teeth, to them it was possible to fix the design.
Obvious advantages bugela made them popular among patients:
- Due to the lack of plate that replaces the thin bearing, increases the comfort of use. The top and bottom of the sky remains free, and the language is enough space for movements.
- Easy mounting make them invisible in most cases.
- Availability to use this method of prosthesis even in the presence of bruxism and periodontal disease.
- Longer lifetime due to the strength of the structure. It is assumed about seven years guarantee.
For all its advantages, partial dentures are high cost. Also you cannot use them in the absence of teeth on the jaw.
Video: basal implants or dentures?
Dental implants are considered the best and most reliable solution in modern prosthetics. They can be applied as in the case of loss of one unit and the whole series. Even in the absence of posterior teeth is possible to ensure the strength and durability of the structure.
The main essence of the method – in the soft tissue implanted rod, called an abutment. After she calms down and heals, with the help of the abutment, attach an artificial crown from any selected material. This procedure takes a long period and is equivalent to the operation, but the reliability of the result exceeds all expectations.
If the implants used in the loss of the greater part of the dentition, it will not necessarily put them as much as the lost units. Only three or four for a secure fit of the prosthesis.
Vast amount of advantages made this type of prosthesis most popular:
- Do not spoil and do not grind smooth the remaining units.
- Fixed gives you the confidence that the implant will not fall out and not even broken.
- The ability to restore any lost range from a single unit to the whole jaw.
- There is no load and negative impact on bone.
- Full preservation of diction, the provided chewing function and taste sensations.
- The aesthetic value of the design – each tooth meets the natural appearance, mimicking its maximum.
- The soft tissue is open without excessive pressure.
- Longevity of operation. Doctors give a guarantee of 25 years of active use.
- In case of breakage of the outer parts of the structure, it is sufficient to replace only the damaged element, the rods remain intact.
Still, some disadvantages can deter impressionable patients:
- The implant procedure is the implant surgery, and tissue after this long time to heal.
- Possible rejection of the material body.
- Painful procedure and the period of the formation of gums.
- Often there are inflammatory processes during adaptation.
- There are a number of contraindications and unpleasant consequences.
- The highest cost compared to all other prostheses.
In addition to choosing the kind of design and also the material from which it is made, it is possible to determine even with a material for the manufacture of artificial teeth. Because almost all types of prostheses can have a variety of crowns from plastic to gold. What to choose is entirely up to the financial possibilities of the patient and requirements for the final appearance of the restored dentition.