Pulled tooth, swollen cheek — what to do?
In complex cases, requires the removal of a tooth. After surgery, the body can respond in different ways. And the patient asks «I pulled out a tooth, swollen cheek – what to do in this case?».
The consequences of the removal units are very different. And almost always they are accompanied by swelling, pain and sometimes fever. This can happen as a natural reaction to surgery, and it happens that this is a clear sign of complications. Describe a situation, in each of which something must be done.
Most often the tooth is removed with forceps. Capture part of the special tool and pull out of the gums. But in complex cases it is necessary to cut the soft tissue that is already considered surgery. A natural reaction to such swelling, temperature, and pain. In addition, it may be a complication of various kinds, the reasons why are the following situations:
- An illiterate doctor.
- Loss of the protective blood clot, the opening of the hole.
- The entry of infection in the cavity.
- Bruising due to capillary fragility.
- Purulent inflammation of the more serious infection of the bone tissue.
And therefore should not be neglected unpleasant symptoms and consult a doctor for help in case of complications. Most of these symptoms independently at home, using folk remedies you will not be able to eliminate. And neglected problems can lead to dangerous consequences.
What to do if you have swollen cheek after a tooth pulled?
Swelling can accompany the process of removal and healing of soft tissues. But you should give yourself about a day time to observe the recovery.
In some cases, the doctor should not go, because nothing appears. And sometimes it is necessary to turn for help, not to start the disease process.
In some cases, the tumor – is this normal?
Signs that the gums are only swollen because of a tooth extraction will:
- The tumor does not increase with time, and gradually subsides, pain in the gums not.
- The temperature can be just in the first day and not very high.
- Pain tolerable. And severe pain might occur only in case of serious interference to «eight» or cutting tooth of the bone.
- Don’t get any odors, evidence of suppuration.
Over time, the pain and swelling decreases each day the patient feels better. So, the cheek is swollen just because the body reacted to flagrant interference. Healing can occur within one to three days. But if you have had major surgery on the bone or removes the «wisdom tooth» (eight), it is considered normal recovery process to a week.
When to see a doctor?
Much more difficult and dangerous other symptoms:
- The body temperature rises through the day or later after surgery. While it is a high of 38 degrees and above.
- Swelling does not decrease over time and even increases in size.
- Severe pain in the case of a simple surgical intervention, when the bone is not touched.
- Difficulty with movements of the jaw, it turns harder to move, there is pain in the larynx.
- Soft tissue of the gums become solid or change color, turning blue cheek.
- Disappeared blood clot, and in its place came pus. Thus, it often felt unpleasant smell, and even taste.
In either case, be sure to seek medical help. After all, if you start the beginning of the infection, it is possible to wait for serious health problems. These include:
- Alveolitis – inflammation of the sores. This is due to the loss of a blood clot and getting food in an open cavity. In this case, it becomes inflamed and rotting soft tissue temperature rises to 38 degrees, there is the putrid smell, the cheek and the gums sore. The doctor must clean the wound, prescribe antipyretics and analgesics. On the painful area apply the medication. Treatment can last up to two weeks.
- Hematoma – is a result of damage to the capillaries. This can be as a result of careless actions of a doctor, and the propensity of the organism to the formation of bruises. The hematoma may not appear immediately, but even a week after the procedure. In this case, the physician must supply a drainage to bring necrotic mass, prescribes antibiotics and lavage of the cavity with antiseptics.
- Cellulitis – high temperature (to 40 degrees), putrid odor, difficulty swallowing. This disease appears when running the inflammation. The pus gets into the muscles of the face and sometimes the internal organs. Such may be sepsis of the blood. But because it is time to go to the doctor, to stop this complication. More likely to treat the abscess with antibiotics and surgery. Can put in the hospital.
- Osteomyelitis is the most complex and dangerous disease that appears in advanced cases. If the patient had not sought assistance with complication after tooth extraction, the infection may reach bone tissue. In the most serious cases it ends with a deformation of the jaw, and sometimes death. There are fistulas, fever, throbbing pain and a lot of suppuration. The treatment will be long and complicated with antibiotics, drainage and antiseptics.
Video: pulled tooth and swollen cheek vlog.
In order to avoid such problems and to give the gums time to heal properly, it is advisable to follow the recommendations that you give the surgeon. Most often, these include:
- Apply a sterile swab with antiseptic to the site of the tooth extraction. Only it is important to frequently change, so as not to provoke the development of bacteria.
- Apply to cheek something cold, it will relieve the pain and swelling. But keep this compress suggest, is about five minutes.
- It is not necessary to eat and drink immediately after surgery. Usually, the dentist indicates the time which it is designed to withstand before the first meal. Try to chew on only the healthy side.
- It is possible to rinse the surgical site soda solution or the special means which have been prescribed by a doctor. You can choose Miramistin, Chlorhexidine and other antiseptics pharmacy.
- In the first days after surgery you can drink away the means to shoot down the temperature and facilitate the removal of edema. These include Nise, Ketanov, Nurofen, Tempalgin, etc.
- Sometimes, the doctor to prevent inflammation and infection can prescribe antibiotics – Doxycycline or Lincomycin. Cutting them, you will be assured that even in the case of lung infection will pass without complications. But do it only after complex interventions.
- If we talk about folk remedies, gargling with sage, chamomile, calendula, propolis and other herbs can help to relieve swelling faster and reduce pain. Also, these herbs promote fast healing and restoration of normal microflora of the mucosa.