Retainers after braces: photos, how to wear
Bite correction with the help of special devices includes several types of orthopedic devices. Retainers – apparatus for further treatment after braces.
How much you need to wear retainers, examples of photos and the usage of the apparatuses are described.
What is it?
Retainers orthodontic corrective occlusion defects of design, takes its place after removal of braces. Used in retention (recovery) period of therapy at the moment of getting rid of the previous devices.
Externally, the design looks like a thin wire or transparent pliable plate, which is attached to the inner side of the dentition or gums. Retainers are designed to secure the success of treatment with braces.
- they strengthen the reached position of the teeth;
- hold teeth in the desired position;
- they are created according to individual requirements or get ready;
- the construction is convenient, noticeable only to the patient.
Why and how to act?
After the very successful correction of errors of the bite, the teeth can return to their previous position. Also reverse the changes affect the muscles and joints. To avoid such a development, experts after the braces put the retainers.
The devices record in a constant position, the pliable portion of the dentition, ligament. Even successful correction of defects of the dentition in the absence of reinforcing from the inside factor can be neutralized.
They can be used in tandem with Burr. Moreover, the most effective is a combination of this method of splinting with nightly Burr of plastic.
Fixtures are classified by the degree of transparency of the material, the way of wearing and fastening. They are installed after the verdict, the dentist and hygiene procedures.
Classification of designs:
- Retainers removable.
- Retainers fixed.
- a combination of several types, or a combination device.
- They are removed for some period of time, or are no breaks depending on the recommendations of the orthodontist.
- It is possible to wear the device only at night or only by day. At meal times, hygiene, or for time during which they will deliver esthetic discomfort to the patient, they can be removed without compromising the effectiveness of therapy. It is important not to use this feature too often.
- The removable prosthesis is usually made of transparent or colored polymer (silicone) or plastic and also of metal wire. Transparent products are hardly noticeable to others. Plastic products are used is very thin. Inconvenience to the owner of the retainers do not deliver.
- Designs are divided into one jaw, which are permanently or put on a deadline, and duclottni for short-term wear.
- The shape of the product can be in the form of plates, metal arcs, transparent cap, resembling a frame or a mask.
- Cons of the devices that they are able to provoke allergies and excessive salivation. In addition, in some cases they inconvenience when carrying and conversation.
- Resemble an arc, thin, discreet, convenient, or tape, or fibrous system.
- Are made from the latest metals.
- Installed from the inside of the dentition with the use of a special adhesive.
- Attached to the molars.
- Recorded a special composite material.
- Require regular observation of an orthodontist. The doctor will assess the condition of the teeth, especially molars, to which products are attached.
- In addition to regular oral hygiene with fixed retainers require professional cleaning.
- Worn the entire course of treatment without interruption. While this is an advantage, because appliances have a permanent effect, and the drawback is the difficult oral hygiene. In case of insufficient cleaning of high risk of Tartar formation.
- Rather, it is the option of wearing. For example, in the upper jaw is attached a tray on the bottom – feed.
- In some cases, are required to wear a first, fixed model, then removable.
The device is not chosen by the patient according to his preferences. The choice is made by the doctor-orthodontist, his decision is preceded by a comprehensive examination.
Install the retainers after braces
As a rule, the retainers set immediately after getting rid of the braces and hygiene procedures. Occasionally, according to testimony, permanent corrective structures used at the end of treatment with braces.
The installation process includes:
- the removal of the brackets;
- the oral cavity and teeth;
- treatment of diseases in their presence;
- hygienic procedures;
- treatment of the gums and teeth with special solutions for coupling;
- drying surfaces;
- preparation of enamel for tapes;
- the install the retainers with glue, if they are non-removable;
- manufacturing of mould and installation of removable structures.
The process is painless, completely safe for the client.
How much you need to wear them?
A definite answer to this question can not be. Term use of retainers by the patient is determined directly after removing of the previous devices.
- The average duration of therapy of fixed or removable correctors approximately one or two time intervals, during which the client had braces. Minimum usage period is 1 year. The maximum is life. In each case, the time of treatment is determined individually.
- The most important criterion is the degree of mobility of teeth. Long-term correction of braces corresponds to a prolonged period of support with retainers.
- With age, the ligaments of the teeth are becoming increasingly mobility. So, the older the patient, the more time it will take for correction. After a twenty-year milestone period correction clearly increases.
- If the pathology of the dentition serious, expressed with the subjective difficulty of the correction, the duration of therapy will be prolonged.
- The individual characteristics of the patient’s periodontal one way or another affect the course of treatment.
- In the presence of harmful habits (Smoking), sometimes you’ll need to reinstall the already used retainers for damage.
- Affected by the number of extracted teeth before installing braces.
Briefly talk about the requirements for hygiene in the retention period, it is such principles as thoroughness of care, the use of soft cloth, the toothbrush, the use of special types of pasta.
- You can’t miss a visit to the dentist as they prepared schedule. During the treatment can occur some significant changes, imperceptible to the patient, but significant for the whole situation. Only a doctor to notice and correct inconsistencies.
- Come off the system not to store and not to take any action towards fixing it. The response in this case should be as soon as possible.
- Care devices you cannot apply aggressive acting (hydrogen peroxide).
- clean water;
- dental floss;
- orthodontic box;
- disinfectant solutions;
► Care of the Burr and plates
They should be washed frequently with pure water, cleaned with a soft toothbrush if necessary. In the morning, a removable system is wiped with a sterile cloth with a weak solution of chlorexidine. Before the food trays and plates removed. Keep them better in orthodontic boxes.
Also there they are placed at the break on food and drink, including carbonated and alcoholic beverages. Disinfect trays and plates twice a day in special solutions which should be warm.
► Care for ribbons, arcs
With fixed systems, the complexity of handling more.
- A must to use dental floss, it is better specialized.
- To brush your teeth including using a stationary irrigators, special devices.
- Not less than 1 times a day oral cavity is treated with antimicrobial rinses.
- Shows professional teeth cleaning at least 1 time in 6 months.
Disadvantages hygiene during the recovery period threatening such troubles as:
- the accumulation of plaque;
- the formation of Tartar;
- inflammation of soft tissue due to deposits;
- bleeding gums;
- education stale smell from the mouth.
Video: indirect fixing of the retainer.
Wore records for 4 years. Although needed braces, but I did not put them. Teeth twisted hard, it was visibly uncomfortable. Then doctor changed, set the braces. I wore them for another 2 years. The retainers I have installed before removing the braces. Similar to a thin wire. Came from Fang to Fang. In addition, even sinyuyu tape attached. Retainers now wear for life. On the waiting tray. Inconvenience is not particularly deliver, just the diction a little spoiled.
I went home teeth. Had braces for 10 months. Then restore the position of the transparent Burr. From the pros – do not allow the teeth to shift. Of the minuses – the year they need to wear and they are not very comfortable.
Had braces for a year. Then set the fixed delays. My fault it is 4 years broke. When I took it out, at the same time I did the teeth whitening. Now I wear retainers again-procrastinating, not notice them on your teeth even. To wear another year, I think, without problems, this period will pass.
► How much are retainers?
The final price is formed according to the preferences and mind the recommended a particular patient, design, and procedure the cleaning of Tartar, diagnosis, and in some cases radiography. On average, diagnostics take from 1000 rubles, non-removable metal retainers – 5-7 thousand, non-removable tape – 10-12 thousand, a Kappa – 2 to 9 thousand rubles.
► If you missed the inspection – what to do?
The answer is simple – as soon as possible to schedule follow-up visit to the orthodontist. In the waiting period need to carefully observe hygiene measures and care.