Rubbers for braces: types,, for what, how to wear
To correct the bite in a short time are called elastics for braces. Their views, photos, as well as what they need and how to wear such accessory items will describe in more detail.
To achieve correction of the defect want as quickly as possible and not to delay treatment. To wear bulky and ugly design I wish not but if this involves further ensure a healthy bite and a gorgeous smile, you should wait. Especially with such devices it is possible to significantly reduce the treatment time.
Elastics for braces – what is it?
In addition to the orthodontic structure made of a metal, ceramic or other materials are installed on top of them more and more mechanicians. They are made of durable elastic medical raw materials in the form of small rings. The rubber is considered to be rather Hypo-allergenic and well tolerated by the body, even in children does not cause unpleasant reactions.
Such dental appliances can be colored, they are produced of different colors, which is very popular with the teenagers. Thanks to the rubber bands you can make the treatment process is fascinating, and it stand out from the crowd original appearance.
The choice of color depends entirely on the patient and can be changed at least every other month. Thus, people show their individuality in full.
What is needed?
Whatever the appearance of the elastics, more importantly, why and how they work in a bracket system? Depending on the type of gum can perform different functions. But mostly it’s speeding up the healing process. In addition to the action of the arc, which pulls the teeth into the desired position, they help to strengthen the corrective impact on the problem areas.
Elastic members are expected to:
- to provide a solid fixation of the arc and the plates between them;
- to strengthen the action of the braces themselves;
- to provide additional corrective influence on the individual units;
- to accelerate tooth movement in the desired direction.
Through such simple devices, the doctor can fully control the position of the bite and affect the entire process to ensure maximum results.
But there is an important caveat – if you slipped the elastic band from one side, then it must immediately attach to the place or to remove the same from the other. The proper bite is imperative that complete synchronism of their placement on both sides of the jaw.
To ensure control of the correction and comprehensive correction of teeth doctors have to use several different rubber bands. They differ in purpose, method of attachment and location:
- Traction is made in the form of volumetric elastic rings, is fixed on both jaws. This should not be considered very tight their bond, so you can easily talk and eat. This is the only type of elastics that the patient has the right to remove and put on independently. Due to additional thrust to help pull the teeth in the desired direction and are often used at the end of treatment.
- Alloys – there are multi-colored, made small in size and provide a more secure bond between the snaps, and arc. They need to be installed on each bracket, and replace or remove is only entitled to the doctor. They are used throughout the treatment period. Thus, the elastic addition enhances the action of the system.
- Chains – represent gum, enshrined in monotape. They are fixed tightly to each other and connect in a certain interval into one. Usually such devices need to remove gaps between teeth, as well as they attract units nearby. Attach them only in the dentist’s office and only in certain areas. To do this, first install each rubber band in the right place, and then in a special way to connect them even additional elements. This procedure to make can only be a doctor because of the complexity of fixation.
How to wear?
With the exception of the traction elements, all bands have to install, remove and change specialist. It makes it a special hook and carefully calculates the tension of each of them in accordance with the position of the teeth, the desired result and elasticity of the material.
If traction is recommended to apply yourself, this should be done only after individual training in the doctor’s office. It is important to observe the position and method of fastening of each of the bands that initially controls the orthodontist, and then the patient can independently carry out such manipulations at home.
Identify the following methods of attachment:
- V-shaped – when the form of elastic bands mounted on teeth, reminiscent of the tick. It is fixed on one jaw in two brackets, and on the other cling to just one.
- Box – cover with a rubber band from a significant range of two jaws. In appearance this mount resembles a square or rectangle.
In some complex cases of the defect, the doctor may prescribe several variants of fastening the elastic straps.
If I flew gum or under the mechanical action of exploded, then it should be replaced. When you do not have the tools you’ll need, be sure to remove the same from another part of the system, not to disrupt the healing process.
Cling rubber on special hooks that are located on certain braces. It’s important to consider the exact tension that will not cause discomfort to the patient, but will do its corrective function. If after two or three days after the installation of braces and rubber bands felt a strong pain, then you need to consult a specialist to ease the tension.
Opposite feelings, that is when the patient realizes that there is no necessary pressure on the teeth also are the reason for going to the dentist. After all, the presence of gum should lead to therapeutic effect, and if not, then should choose a more taut and increase the tension.
Recommendations for wearing rubber bands
To achieve quick and desired result of treatment, you should follow certain rules:
- The first few days to get used to the effect of pressure. Severe pain you can use painkillers, but if they do not pass with time, then the doctor needs to loosen the gum.
- Wear them with the braces throughout the treatment period. It is possible to withdraw only the traction elements during meals and hygiene procedures. In some cases they are credited only at the beginning or at the end of treatment.
- Self-replacement elastics is only allowed for the individual parts. Ligatures and chains are adjusted only by a specialist in the office of an orthodontist for a monthly visit.
- It is important to stick to the number of rubber bands and their exact location which is determined by the physician. To complement other elements of the system is not necessary, as you can disrupt the treatment plan.
- Observe strict symmetry of the position of the elastic elements, otherwise the whole process will go in an unexpected direction. When unilateral effects can be achieved for the deterioration of the teeth and excessive curvature of the teeth.
- To avoid any question of why yellow gum, it is advisable to refrain for the time correction of colored beverages and foods. Although not necessary, because every month, these parts are updated and the tone will be what you want.
- How often to change the elastic elements? This usually happens every 3-4 weeks. Time to visit to replace Doug and gum prescribed by a doctor. Skip reception is impossible, because while easing tension the therapeutic effect is lost and the braces are worn without a tangible result.
- Under hygienic treatment of the dentition and of the whole structure you need to use only suitable special brush that can clean a surface from bacteria and plaque, but not damage the elastic elements. This is recommended to use special brushes with soft bristles.
- Always keep a spare on hand traction, because rubber bands can break or fly. And to immediately replace them with new, you need to have additional house.
- Buy should only high-quality materials, to prevent too early extension. When saving on the purchase of such items from questionable sellers you can get an allergic reaction or face with too frequent replacement of items that will be constantly tear or to fly.
Some patients, concerned about how long to wear elastics? After all, their replacement and constant adjustment is a lot of hassle. It strictly depends on the complexity of the problems with the bite, the position of the individual dental units and the total treatment period. Most of the bands are half the time of the entire correction.
If the elastic members have changed their tone, do not worry and think about how to whiten gum. After all, the next time you visit a doctor he will replace them with new ones. And so what to choose – white or color – personally desire.
Video: how to wear orthodontic elastics (rubber bands) crochet?
Feeling after installation
Don’t panic if in the first days after fixation of brackets and ligatures has appeared soreness. Usually this is normal as the beginning of a corrective effect on the position of the dentition. It is the pressure of the arc and the gum, leading to discomfort.
If there is severe pain, it is allowed the use of painkillers. But not more than two or three days. Prolonged discomfort should go to the doctor to ease the tension of the elastic elements. It is important during treatment to feel ease while talking and eating, orthodontic design should not interfere.
Because braces is a foreign three-dimensional objects in the mouth, it is not usual for a patient, then you need to give yourself time to get used to it. It is believed that the period of adaptation to orthodontic system as a whole can take up to two weeks. But with regular replace only rubber parts discomfort should disappear after a day or two.