Runny nose and snot while teething: how long, how to treat
One of the disturbing and exciting moments of the first year of life is considered to be a cold and snot while teething. Young parents are interested in how long this period how to treat and whether to intervene in a natural process.
Every child’s body is different and reaction to the appearance of the teeth can be very different. In some, this stage will pass almost unnoticed, while others will suffer from various unpleasant symptoms. How to help your child and what to undertake to parents in this regard will be described below.
The symptoms of teething
Let’s start with the basic question of young parents, can be a babies snot while teething. And the answer is, Yes. In addition, their appearance is accompanied by a number of other reactions:
- profuse salivation;
- the gums become red, slightly swollen in places an appearance of the tooth;
- deteriorating appetite, the baby refuses familiar food;
- General moodiness, anxiety, tearfulness;
- sometimes the temperature rises to 38 degrees;
- disturbed night sleep;
- in some cases, have problems with a chair, a gastrointestinal tract;
- the baby pulls into his mouth everything what only can reach, biting or licking any items.
Usually these symptoms disappear within a few days by themselves as soon as the tooth appears above the surface of the gums. Although the growth of it may still be a bit to disturb the baby.
What causes a runny nose during this time?
Doctors identify the following reasons for this phenomenon:
- Due to the process of teething is sharply reduced immunity of the child. Also its level is connected with the fact that this period overlaps the introduction of solid foods and gradual decrease in the number of breast milk in his diet. As a result, any viral infection very easily penetrate the body of the baby and he was not with them a full-fledged fight. In this case, the runny nose when teething is a symptom of some General disease, and skip this should not be.
- The location of the nasal mucosa and oral cavity, and shared their blood supply make themselves felt similar reactions. So, nasal congestion coincides with the abundant salivation at the time of the appearance of the teeth of the child. Inflammation, which is formed because of this, forces us to allocate the mucus as a defense mechanism that looks like a rich snot and constant drooling.
- In some cases these symptoms are accompanied by cough. It appears for the same reason – secreted fluids enter the throat, pharynx, irritating and causing a reflex reaction. Because children under one year are mainly lie on the back and the saliva naturally flows down, causing a cough. Do not be afraid, as these will be held simultaneously with other symptoms.
How long it lasts and how to treat it?
It is very important to determine what runny nose and what it signals. As a reaction to the appearance of the teeth:
- The mucus should be clear and clean. If snot have a greenish or yellowish tint, it indicates a disease that should not be ignored.
- The duration of the discharge does not exceed 3-5 days, runny nose and ends as soon as the tooth appears above the gum. In cases when this lasts longer than a week require a doctor’s consultation.
It is important to understand whether to treat a runny nose. Because the reasons it can be a variety of processes in the body of the child, then you should definitely show the baby to the pediatrician. Only the doctor can establish the complexity of the problem, the factors that caused her to make the right decision.
Independent attempts of parents to treat the infant or to ignore the problem can seriously harm your child’s health.
The basic manipulations that need to take place at this time, will be as follows:
- To help clear nasal passages of congestion and mucus, so as not to disturb baby’s breath. And since babies can’t blow your nose, it is better to use a special suction or syringe.
- To prevent dry crusts, which will also cause discomfort, you need to constantly moisturize the mucosa. You can use the special chemist sprays or drops, which contain sea salt.
- During prolonged cold, especially if it is caused by a viral infection, the doctor will prescribe vasoconstrictors. For children up to year around a long time, at a concentration of 0.01%, and for older kids – a long time, 0,25% or Otrivin with the rate of 0,05%. It is very important that the application of such remedies was not longer than five days.
But even if you are sure that runny nose of the baby came as a result of teething, you still need to take him to a specialist. Only an experienced pediatrician will be able to easy distinguish viral infection from simple ailments. And only a timely treatment will help to avoid serious health problems.
So, if you miss the moment, the common cold will go into chronic sinusitis, which will bring a lot of trouble throughout life. And ignoring the bacterial disease can affect the imminent deterioration of General condition and lead to various complications.
Video: snot and runny nose with teething in children.
► Is it possible to walk on the street with a runny nose during teething?
Of course, Yes. The fact that the street child will be easier to breathe, nasal passages moisten in a natural way. Just before it should be okay to clean a child’s nose and dress accordingly weather. It is advisable to avoid this period of public places, as the baby weakened immune system and it can easily get infected by viral infection. Try to choose to walk secluded place where lots of greenery and fresh air, but a few people.
► Is it possible to bathe the child?
If a runny nose unrelated to the disease, Yes. Any water treatments can moisturize nasal passages and help to ease breathing. It is essential that proper conditions – water should be a slightly higher temperature than usual, and splashing while the child is sitting or standing, it is recommended to constantly water the warm water. Then immediately wrap up and put to bed. Cleanliness of the skin should be respected even during his illness, and if the rhinitis has appeared as a result of teething, it is not considered a contraindication to water procedures. But the child should not be elevated body temperature.