Self-ligating braces: advantages and disadvantages
Self-ligating braces in the Arsenal of doctors-orthodontists appeared a few years ago, dentists and their patients could assess their advantages and disadvantages. They are firmly in position and are popular.
The process of bite correction takes a long time, so patients choose self-ligating, multibinding systems, which are not only more attractive in comparison with classical and easy to wear.
Braces are the most effective device to change the position of the teeth, correction of distal bite or mesial.
Unlike other orthodontic appliances, braces are used not only in children, clinical efficacy, they proved in adult patients.
The composition of the self-ligating bracket system includes naturnye braces, which are fitted with special clamps for arc, and orthodontic arc, which is moving teeth in the desired direction.
The principle of operation
Self-ligating braces, like traditional, are fixed to the surface of the tooth composite material. The difference lies in the principle of action and the mechanism of the arc.
Have a self-regulating, multibinding system arc «slip», that is has no rigid fasteners. This is due to the special clamps and clips, which she fixed to nanoblomo element. Classic braces arc still pressed by fastening a rubber ring or a metal ligature.
Malocclusion occurs due to:
- move teeth;
- lengthening and stretching of the clinical crown;
- the rotation around the axis of the tooth;
- overcoming the resistance of the jaw bones and muscles.
The advantages and disadvantages of self-ligating braces
Self-ligating braces are the next stage in the development of orthodontic dentistry. However, this does not mean that they can be used with all types of malocclusion and to forget about the previously invented devices.
The benefits include:
- comfortable to wear — have smooth edges with no sharp protrusions and notches, the corners of streamlined shape – all this does not injure the mucous membrane of the lips and cheeks;
- have less pressure on the teeth;
- a shorter period of adaptation;
- the period of treatment is shorter due to the reduction of the friction force;
- easy to clean — for most patients, brushing teeth becomes time-consuming when wearing standard braces, after all the ligatures arc and hooks to prevent a good clean the tooth surface, and this leads to the development of caries. Due to the lack of superfluous elements in self-ligating braces, teeth accumulate less amount of plaque and food residues;
- this type of orthodontic appliances is only allowed for installation in diseases of the periodontium;
- have aesthetic, in comparison with the predecessors — clips arc more attractive than the ligature;
- reduced number of visits to the doctor — to visit the orthodontist will once in 2-3 months. If you set a classic bracket system, to come to the reception to the doctor monthly to have replacement rubber rings.
The main disadvantage is the high price, which is 2-3 times the cost of installing classic multibinding system. This is due to the complexity of their mechanism.
Orthodontists in his practice, used three types of self-ligating braces:
- Partially ceramic.
The maximum widespread metal self-ligating braces. They are suitable for treating the most complex cases and are characterized by high strength, but have an unattractive appearance. Today metal structures are made of hypoallergenic alloy, so they are allowed to be used in patients with allergies.
Aesthetic braces made of ceramic micro granules. The size of the particles depends on the transparency of the product: the bigger they are, the higher the transparency. But with the increased transparency worsens the strength characteristics. Self-ligating ceramic braces are larger compared to classic ceramic, Vestibulo-oral size increases by 1 mm.
Combined braces in the frontal section is made of ceramics, back teeth are fixed metal. This reduces the cost of the design, which looks more attractive than a machine made of metal.
Maximum aesthetics peculiar to lingual braces that are attached to the lingual or palatal surface of teeth.
There are many varieties of self-ligating braces. But the success of the treatment primarily depends on the level of skill of the orthodontist and the patient’s willingness to comply with the prescription.
Video: types of braces.
A beautiful smile I have found only in 34 years. After my decision of having straight beautiful teeth, the doctor offered me a few options braces. I wanted this design has drawn more attention to the smile, so my choice fell on Damon Clear and I never give it in the future do not regret it. Externally, they are unobtrusive, easy to clean, and the dentist does not need to frequently go to the reception.
Anton, 25 years
Before treatment I was ashamed of my smile, I found it awkward to be in a foreign company and to meet girls. Correcting the bite self-ligating braces, my self-esteem increased.
► What’s better braces or self-ligating ligature?
Uniquely difficult to answer the question, because each of the braces are positive and negative sides.
How do they differ:
- no alloys have self-ligating braces.
- the difference in the frequency of visits to dentist (every month and once in 2-3 months when installed self-ligating designs);
- the smaller the friction force, compared to the ligature, due to the lack of rigid fixation of the arc;
- modern braces without ligatures are allowed to use in patients suffering from periodontal disease.
- price classic are much more expensive.
The choice of orthodontic appliance for bite correction occurs in each case individually and depends on the complexity of the disorders, age, habits and financial situation of the patient.
Video: how does self-ligating bracket system?