Silicone dentures: what is it, care, prices, reviews
Silicone dentures appeared relatively recently. Many patients don’t know what it is, what is the necessary care of the product, they are interested in the price and also the testimonials of people who have used these structures.
The term «silicone» does not imply that all parts of the prosthesis made from this material. Sometimes a design is called nylon. The main difference from the classic removable devices from acrylic softness and flexibility.
Features of prosthetics silicone prosthetics
The loss of one or more teeth raises questions about the restoration of the fulness of the dentition. To this end, developed a lot of abutments, the choice of which depends on the condition of the jawbone, number of missing teeth, the bite and the financial possibilities of the patient.
A good option to consider a removable partial denture based on silicone for a secure fit which requires the presence of at least a few teeth in a row. These products are flexible, absolutely no pressure on the soft tissues, which is especially important for patients with thinning of the alveolar crest or suffering from exostosis (bony protrusions).
In addition, certain clinical manifestations are made dentures without the sky, or with a reduced lamellar part. It is important for people suffering from a pronounced gag reflex. The main condition is the presence of a strong abutment teeth so that the structure is securely fastened.
Stages of manufacturing a silicon prosthesis:
- Medical examination and selection of appropriate design in each specific case.
- Taking impressions of upper and lower jaw and determining the color of teeth.
- A dental technician makes a plaster model and making the frame in wax.
- The doctor will determine the Central occlusion and jaw relation in the process of fitting.
- Fastening of artificial teeth and replace the wax on the silicone mass.
- Re-fitting to identify inaccuracies landing products.
- Final grinding and polishing of the prosthesis.
After all the stages, the prosthesis transitions to the use of the patient, but within 1-2 weeks you should come to the reception for the correction of the product.
Related article: how to choose dentures — fixed or removable?
The pros and cons
Soft prostheses made of silicone mass, there is a whole list of advantages:
- the device has a reliable fixation in the oral cavity, which reduces the risk of falling at inopportune moments;
- made of an elastic material, the prosthesis does not cause discomfort, no rubbing the mucous membrane, like ordinary plastic products, comfortable in daily wearing;
- short period of adjustment;
- silicone refers to allergenic substances, so it is used to address the integrity of the dentition among Allergy sufferers and people sensitive to acrylic;
- there is no deformation in the process of chewing loads;
- the locking clamp is made of soft material so does not cause discomfort and does not injure the abutment teeth, as well as unobtrusive – they are made in the color of the gums;
- silicone is resistant to dyes from food products, so over time does not change color;
- there are no symptoms of toxicity when wearing design;
- chewing force is distributed evenly;
- no need to dissect the abutment teeth.
In addition to positive aspects, prostheses made of silicone have disabilities and that it is important to take into account before agreeing to its manufacturer:
- with full secondary adentia (lack of teeth) flexible silicone construction not applicable due to the inability to withstand the masticatory impact and grind solid food. During mastication of dense pieces of food patients can experience pain;
- products need regular cleaning, and should use designated for that purpose in order to avoid the accumulation of odor detergents;
- the high price of removable orthopedic construction;
- flexible clamp can’t distribute the chewing load, directing it to the abutment teeth, which causes strong pressure on the soft tissues of the prosthetic bed, leading to accelerated bone atrophy of the alveolar process;
- marginal gingiva and periodontium of the tooth is injured due to the fact that the main part of the prosthesis sags under mechanical force, and holding a soft lock clings to the regional gingiva near the neck of the tooth and contributes to its isolation, which leads to the development of the inflammatory process and cause pain;
- property of the silicone has a nasty feature – it is poorly polished, which surface is a bit rough. It leads to the excessive accumulation of food residues and soft and complicates the purification of the home;
- when filling defects are the great length of flexible dentures there is a need for frequent adjustment due to the deformation under load when chewing.
The nuances of care
To care for elastic dentures just. So they were in good condition, should do it regularly with following the recommendations.
- For cleansing the surface of the prosthesis is only suitable toothbrush with soft bristles.
- To eliminate food residues when cleaning, use ordinary baby soap with no smell, because the material is able to absorb the fragrances of detergents. Do not use tooth powder or toothpaste for hygienic care silicone prosthesis, since abrasive particles can damage soft structure of the material.
- 2-3 times a week is good to use a special cleaning tablets for dentures, which removes particles of food and plaque, and also disinfects and removes unpleasant smell.
- After a meal the prosthesis is subject to mandatory rinsing under running water.
- At night silicone dentures is better placed in a glass with a liquid disinfectant or store in a container in a dried form after obligatory purification.
In case of breakage do not attempt to fix it yourself, it is better to consult the dentist-orthopedist. Using modern methods, with consequent adjustment of the apparatus after removing the impression of the jaw with the prosthesis. Wearing a broken machine can cause injury to the soft tissues of the oral cavity.
Silicone removable dentures – prices
The cost of soft dentures, from 30 to 35 thousand rubles depending on the dental clinic. This is a fairly high price for a denture.
It is due to the quality of the material and characteristics of technological process as opposed to simply subthalamic structures made of plastic. Addressed only to the patient, how much is a service and is it worth paying such amount for a silicone prosthesis.
Video: what is silicone dentures? Responsible orthodontist.
Svetlana, 58 years
I use removable dentures for 8 years. When the time came for their replacement, the orthopedic surgeon told me about soft silicone structures. I was interested, because the conventional prosthesis hard and was rubbing on my mucous membranes and I agreed to try a new to me product. I am glad that it isn’t noticeable when you smile, because the clasps match the color of teeth and gums and also comfortable to wear.
Irina, 44 years
Suffer from an Allergy to acrylic, we found it two years ago, when I was given a plastic removable denture. Mouth itching, all red, sore – discomfort. The doctor offered to place dental implants, but for me it is quite expensive, so the decision was taken to fabricate a partial prosthesis from silicone. I use it for about a year. It is soft, easy to put on, but it does not appear during the conversation. And most importantly, no reaction to the product. There is a small disadvantage – very uncomfortable to chew solid food, however, this «minus» covers all its advantages. I’m happy!
Oleg, 32 years
In a fight I knocked out the upper teeth. Of course that immediately started thinking about how to restore your smile. I have all the front teeth are healthy, any problems with them so I’m not going to grind them to install bridges made of ceramics. On the Internet I read that there is a prosthesis made of silicone, called butterfly. The orthopedic surgeon agreed to do it, told about all the advantages and disadvantages. I wear it fourth month – so far no complaints.