Sore gums — what to do at home?
What to do at home, if it hurts the gums? It is important to understand that self-therapy without supervision of a dentist could cause even more harm to the health of not only the mouth but the entire body.
Pain in the gums can not fully working, to perform everyday things and also affect sleep quality. To ease the condition before the visit to the dentist, you can apply some ways to self-manage pain.
The diversity of causes leading to discomfort in the oral cavity, great, but often inflammation cause a situation where the gums hurt very much:
- gingivitis – gum disease, which is accompanied by bleeding, swelling and redness. Usually appears due to low level of hygiene;
- marginal periodontitis — causes changes in the soft tissues and bone structure, which often explains why swollen and reddened gums. When this occurs the bleeding and form a pathological pockets, which are a source of maintaining infection in the oral cavity;
- apical periodontitis is at the root of the tooth develops purulent infiltration, which leads to thickening of the gums and painful growth of a rounded seal near the causative tooth;
- mechanical trauma – hanging edge of a poorly executed restorations, or sharp areas of artificial crowns cause irritation of the mucous membrane and give rise to ulcerations. This occurs also in cases where the denture is much rubbed gums, so that she is swollen and sore;
- restricted growth of wisdom teeth – «eight» appears in Mature age, when the tissues of the maxillofacial region has been formed in violation of its passage in the bone and aggravates the eruption;
- pain after removal – the removal of a tooth is sometimes compounded by the atypical location of the roots or is difficult to access with the subsequent inability to fully capture the crown forceps, leading to damage to the mucous membranes and the development of pain;
- discomfort after turning – in the processing of the cervical region of the diamond burs there are small cuts the gums, causing discomfort for several days.
The major pathologic condition arising on the background of inflammatory disorders, appear for certain factors.
- Low level care for gums and teeth (how to care for your teeth and mouth?).
- The decrease in the protective reactions of the organism.
- Vitamin deficiency.
- A family history of chronic diseases.
- Of the cyst.
- Bad habits.
- Low quality or high degree of wear of the toothbrush.
What to do at home, if it hurts the gums?
When there is discomfort at the site of the mucosa near the tooth, never attempt to gross interference, because it can provoke deterioration and to cause the accession of infection from dirty hands or raw tools.
- do not press on the gums, to check the degree of pain;
- do not open yourself ulcers;
- do not apply to inflamed area irritants such as pepper, garlic, etc;
- with an increase in pain and worsening of the clinical picture immediately consult a specialist.
Special attention when problems in the oral cavity should be given to hygienic procedures and means to care for teeth. If the toothbrush has razvlechenie and mangled the bristles need to replace a new one.
At the same time pay attention to degree of hardness – choose a product with a soft pile for a period when the gums are inflamed or bleed. At the time of acute illness prefer toothpastes, which herbal extracts and anti-inflammatory components.
With a strong aching pain don’t have to hope that she will self – refer to dentist for help, because seemingly banal inflammation may be hiding a serious condition that requires timely treatment. Not sanitized pathological process is able to go into a chronic stage or to contribute to the development of serious complications.
To ease the condition before visiting a dentist, you can receive pain medication. Here are the most effective remedies for dental pain:
Before use, the tablets be sure to read the annotation to the medication and do not exceed recommended dose of the drug. Upon detection of contraindications to the use, give up drugs.
Long proved themselves as effective ways of dealing with the inflammation rinsing various medicinal solutions:
- chlorhexidine – antiseptic agent, has a bitter taste that is effective against a broad spectrum of bacterial strains;
- Myramistin — solution of the active component which is a Quaternary ammonium compound, are fighting the proliferation of microorganisms and eliminate symptoms of inflammation;
- hydrogen peroxide is a liquid, which foams in the presence of purulent contents or blood. The medication calms pain and affects the microbes;
- Diartikan – alcohol infusion of herbs, used for mouth trays and are subject to mandatory dilution with water to avoid stomach burn.
To reduce the appearance of pain reaction and symptoms of inflammation help gels and ointments for topical application in the oral cavity.
- Metrogyl Denta.
Drugs affect pathogens, eliminate swelling and redness of soft shells, numb, and promote rapid healing.
Phytotherapeutic methods help to cope at home with pain in the gums. Self-selection means is not desirable, it is better to inquire at the dentist than you are allowed to rinse your mouth to get rid of the discomfort.
Popular have chamomile flowers, sage collection, the medicinal marigold, oak bark. To cope with the inflammation allow plants such as aloe and Kalanchoe.
The most effective recipes of traditional medicine:
- broth of chamomile, sage or marigold – the recipe means the same for each of the three plants. To prepare the broth pour 5-7 g of dry collection in thermos and pour 250 ml of boiling water. After infusion, strain, cool and rinse your mouth 3-5 times a day. It is important to note that you should only use freshly herb;
- oak bark – 2 table spoon dry matter put in a fireproof dish, cover with water and boil for about 10 minutes. When the broth has cooled, use mouth trays as required;
- aloe or Kalanchoe – remove the thin protective skin of the leaf and apply the pulp to the sore area after which hold a quarter of an hour;
- propolis is a bee product helps to numb the gums, this should chew about 10 minutes.
Video: sore gums — what to do? Meets Elena Malysheva in the program «Live healthy».
The potential complications of self-treatment
If you are trying to do to cope with symptoms of the disease and put off a visit to the dentist for an indefinite period, be prepared for the fact that there can be serious consequences that can cause damage to health.
- If the cause of unpleasant sensations in the gums is the sharp edge of the tooth or rough area of the seals, that alone will not be able to fix it. Regular injury of the soft tissues leads to the formation of abrasions and ulcers, so rinsing and lotions will not eliminate the source of the problem.
- Upon the occurrence of apical periodontitis and the absence of medical intervention, the purulent contents of the cavity surrounding the root of a tooth, in the best case, will create a fistulous course, and in the worst – complicated by abscess or phlegmon.
- When there is persistent inflammation of the gums, without adequate treatment, the process extends deeper and affects the bone structure, leading to tooth mobility and loss.
Without medical assistance at home, you can only improve your condition and reduce the severity of the pain attack, but to remove the cause that led to the emergence of such a state will not succeed.