Sore jaw joint: symptoms and treatment
May be some situations when the jaw joint hurts, what can I do about this, will tell the doctor. This condition significantly impairs quality of life, such patients are turning to surgeons, dentists, trauma specialists to receive treatment. A doctor can help immediately if there was a dislocation, or treatment may be delayed for a long time.
The cause of the pain symptoms, the following:
- The presence of a fracture in the bone structure, resulting in a result of a direct blow to the jaw, accident, accident. In all these points there is a mechanical influence on bone. The upper and lower jaw may be broken separately or together. The fracture may be direct or indirect, single or multiple with the presence of fragments of bones, unbiased, open and closed. The symptoms of fracture are manifested by tenderness in the body, there is swelling, disturbed motor function.
- Contamination of infectious disease, leading to osteomyelitis. Manifested pathology of the inflammatory process in all sections of bones. The infection gets into the hearth, either through the blood or through infection of the pocket located between the tooth and the gum. Most often pathogens are Staphylococcus coli, anaerobes, streptococci. If the pain in the jaw joint throbbing, accompanied by headache and fever, the likelihood of osteomyelitis is high. The treatment of the disease involves the detection of the affected tooth and red around the gums, opening the hearth to remove pus. Then within a few days manipulation is performed for outflow, prescribe a course of antibiotics with symptomatic treatment. These patients in the overall analysis of blood observed shift of leukocyte formula to the left and increased speed of blood sedimentation. The patient’s condition can be slight, moderate and severe.
- Odontogenic factor when joint pain in the jaw occurs after the appearance of the pathology of the teeth and gums. Such conditions include caries developed in deep regions of the tooth nerve, with the defeat of pulp, abscess of the tissues around the teeth. Pain worse at night, are throbbing in nature. The patient feels pain in the root of the tooth, the symptoms are distributed on the corresponding jaw. The doctor, upon detection of the affected tooth it removes, conducts a rehabilitation focus. Often, however, the impact of this disease affecting the trigeminal nerve of the face, damage is characterized by numbness of the lips, reduced masticatory muscle tone.
- Inflammation of the arteries of the face — a pathological condition, accompanied by a burning sensation that spreads to the jaw, joint of the jaw to the lips and nose. In some cases, the pathology captures the broader areas of the face, reaching the corners of the eyes. The disease is diagnosed by a special sign — the pain is localized at the point of bending of the facial artery in the region of the lower jaw.
- Functional disorders of the joint of the jaw and the temple. In this case, the jaw joint ache along with the temple, cheek and forehead. The patient is unable to open his mouth at the slightest movement there is a click. The causes may be malocclusion or the development of inflammation in this region, myofascial syndrome in the chewing muscles, the occurrence of osteoarthritis in the joint. Therefore, if you have question why my jaw hurts, you must exclude the connection of pain with the joint. To do this, go to the doctor, be diagnosed and begin the correct treatment.
- Inflammatory diseases of the cranial nerves (nerves of the skull) can cause soreness. Most often this condition occurs in neuralgia of the trigeminal nerve, the pain is burning in nature, manifested by sudden attacks. The pain is expressed more directly in those areas where inflammation of a specific nerve branches expressed. Characteristic of this disease is the lack of clinical manifestations in the evening and night periods. Not affected mandible, localization of pain occurs only in the arrangement of branches.
- When inflammation of the upper laryngeal nerve is an unpleasant sensation in the region of the larynx, thyroid gland and under the tongue. The spread of pain is sufficiently wide: the face and the ear to the shoulders and chest. In addition, patients concerned about the cough, hiccups, excessive salivation. The pain provoke swallowing, blowing your nose, coughing, movements of the head. For therapy, some groups of medicines, local anaesthesia is given, in rare cases, the nerve is cut.
- Sometimes pain in the joints of the jaw neuralgia of the glossopharyngeal nerve. The pain may spread to all the face, ears and even the tonsils. To reduce discomfort, the patient bends his head to the side in pain. If you put pressure on the mandibular angle, the pain worse.
- In the inflammatory process in the ear node person suffers severe burning pain paroxysmal character. The duration of each attack for about an hour. The pain extends to the jaw and teeth. The Eustachian tube is reduced, as a result of these spasms in the ears hear the clicks. Reception hot or cold foods can trigger or exacerbate pain. To properly diagnose this nosology, using the method of finger pressure on the area between the mandibular joint and the external ear canal. Thus the unpleasant symptoms are worse.
- Migraine. This condition in some situations may be associated with paroxysmal pain, lasting for several hours. Distributed feeling in the region of the upper jaw with the capture of the oral cavity and ear. Then slowly «spreading» all over his face. When pressure is applied to the branching of the external carotid artery, the symptoms intensify. The same symptom occurs when the tumor process in stratified carotid artery and inflammation of the temporomandibular joint.
- Sarcoma of bone. Is a malignant bone tumor, its incidence among tumors of the jaw is more than 20%. In this disease occur deforming changes of the bone tissue, a strong constant pain spreading from the jaw around the face, some areas of the face become numb.
Diagnosis of diseases
If you experience any discomfort in the lower or upper jaw, you must go to a medical facility where a doctor will determine in what area a defeat. Patient visiting dentists, surgeons, traumatologists, otolaryngologists. Next assigned laboratory and instrumental examination: General analysis of blood to determine the inflammatory process, x-ray examination, which find the cause of pain, if necessary, carry out a CT scan and MRI. If the patient is suspected of cancer pathology, carried out the analysis for tumor markers. In case of suspected vascular lesions of the head using ultrasound with Doppler.
If there is pain, you should rather consult a specialist for help. However, if you cannot immediate referral to a health facility in the home can relieve the symptoms of pain. This use of analgesic drugs, local use of cold lotions, try to reduce the load on the jaw, for the use of crushed in the blender or food grater. All of this is temporary pain relief. In any case, qualified medical help is needed.
In dysfunction of the jaw joint used anti-inflammatory drugs, reduce physical stress on the body. If the cause of the pain was one or the other neuralgia, conducting a course of conservative treatment prescribed by your doctor. In case of its inefficiency carry out surgery — cut the nerve.
Under vascular disorders, the treatment specialists, the method of treatment conservative. Pain syndrome is eliminated with the intake of anesthetic drugs, allowing you to relax the muscles injected with injections of steroids directly into the joint. Hormones not only eliminate pain, but also significantly reduce the swelling. However, the number of serious side effects — osteoporosis, thinning bones, eventually leading to the destruction of bone tissue. Topically widely used contrast compresses, which are applied to the joints in the open position of the mouth. Convenient to compress to add anti-inflammatory component. If the inflammation is mild, conduct relaxing exercises of the facial muscles.
For the treatment of mechanical damage use of adhesive bandages on the jaw to reduce the load. Appointed sparing liquid diet, the patient does not chew food, but swallow the chopped pieces.
In parallel, is assigned a complex of vitamins and minerals for the best fusion of the bones. After recovery of bone structures of the patient is required to avoid serious loads, because it may cause relapse.
Prevention after an illness that caused the pain in the jaw, aimed at reducing stress on the joints, eating soft food, and taking calcium and chondroprotectors. Besides, it is necessary to avoid overcooling or overheating. You should regularly visit the dentist in time to carry out reorganization of carious lesions and to monitor the condition of the oral cavity. If you experience unpleasant sensations or sounds you must immediately go to the hospital or clinic for timely treatment and avoid complications.