Stomatitis in children: signs, symptoms, causes and treatment
Your little one is sick. He became cranky, refuses to eat, sleeps badly, the thermometer thermometer shows pleasing figures? Inspect the oral cavity of the baby. You might find the cause. Thrush in mouth in children quite often. It brings parents and their toddlers a lot of restless days and nights.
As the disease appears
Signs of stomatitis in children begin to manifest after an incubation (latent) period. Depending on the degree and type of pathogen, they can wear their own characteristics. Accurate diagnosis, assign treatment, taking care of the prevention — is included in the list of duties of a dentist and a pediatrician. The disease is established after face-to-face examination of the child. In some cases, you will need to do more analysis. Smear or scraping on the definition of the exciter applied:
- The ineffectiveness of the applied treatment.
Stomatitis in children symptoms are characteristic for any type of pathogen:
- Weakness, malaise, increased moodiness and tearfulness.
- Pain in the oral cavity. In herpetic and aphthous form, the pain is expressed very clearly. Toddlers to 3 years show a constant concern, trying to shove fingers in my mouth. They refuse to eat, as the food causes mechanical irritation contributes to the emergence of severe pain. In addition to the oral cavity, the inflammatory process often involved SIP. In this case, there is discomfort during swallowing.
- The mucosa of the oral cavity hyperemic. Observed swelling of the gums, excessive salivation. The language can be lined white or grayish bloom. On the inner side of the cheeks and lips, under the tongue are formed islets of infection. Depending on the source of infection, they have their own peculiarities of development. When herpes infection first appears painful redness, and then formed bubbles. First, the liquid inside is light, later dark. After bubbles are opened, the mucous membrane remain ulcers. Aphthous inflammation is characterized in that after the phase of the redness of the mucosa that creates a bubble, and immediately the plague. It is called aftei. In most cases, aphthae are rare and have relatively large size. If the disease is to blame for the candida, then after the redness in the mouth or white plaque. They gradually impress all the mucous. Located on the tongue, cheeks, throat, larynx. White patches gradually coalesce and form a solid whitish veil. If the plaque is to remove the cloth, it is observed bleeding, giperosmolarnosti, swelling of tissues.
- The appearance of an elevated temperature is a common companion of the disease in a young child. Catarrhal, superficial for, in most cases, fever is not observed. Lose the deeper layers of the tissues, accompanied by a strong temperature, symptoms of intoxication.
- Swollen lymph nodes – indicates the seriousness of the process. Most often this symptom occurs in case of: acute herpetic, aphthous, ulcerative, necrotic course.
In the world around us a multitude of pathogenic and conditionally pathogenic organisms. Man is an amazing creature. It’s designed so that it has self-defense mechanisms against viruses and bacteria. However, under adverse conditions, the natural forces weaken. It contributes to the development of diseases. Kids, the elderly, pregnant women are at risk and get sick more often.
The mucosa of the mouth of babies is very delicate. Therefore, the child stomatitis is not uncommon. Pathogens can be fungi, viruses, bacteria.
Stomatitis in children causes contribute to disease occurrence:
- Bad oral hygiene. The child explains that before eating need to wash their hands. Kids don’t allow them to put it in my mouth inedible objects, fingers and suck them. Careful guys was brushing my teeth and tongue twice a day. Rinse your mouth with warm water after each meal;
- Viral diseases. Herpes infection is the most common culprit in the development of stomatitis. Once in the body, the virus remains with you for life. According to studies, the speakers are 80 % of the inhabitants of the Planet. With good immunity, herpes does not manifest itself, people do not even guess about the unpleasant neighborhood;
When rubella, chickenpox, the appearance of sores in the mouth frequent enough phenomenon.
- Bacteria – streptococci, staphylococci, Mycoplasma. They are opportunistic pathogens. In a state of good health live in the mouth, not showing activity. To active reproduction are factors reducing the immune system. Activity is mostly during or after SARS. If the baby in the mouth there is a small injury it is enough to lick the dirty hands to start the mechanism of the disease;
- The defeat of the oral mucosa caused by the activation of the candida fungi is the cause of fungal stomatitis;
- Allergies. In most cases, it is contact. The cause of the inflammation is the use of new personal hygiene products for the mouth, wearing a prosthetic. Therefore, carefully choose children toothpaste and brushes. Prefer zarekomendovala known brands. Treat teeth and do dentures in the audited hospitals.
- Other causes of stomatitis in children: trauma, burns, dental caries, long-term treatment with antibiotics.
If the child has persistent recurrent disease of the oral cavity, make a note of this important fact attention. Causes permanent disease can include anemia, hormonal changes the body, diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, dehydration, disease of the gastrointestinal tract, nasopharynx.
Constantly manifested stomatitis, is the reason for going to the experts. With your child, visit doctors: gastroenterologist, immunologist, dentist, otolaryngologist, internist — pediatrician.
Classification. Distinctive features
Known types of stomatitis in children: herpes, Candida, bacterial. Depending on the pathogen, symptoms and treatment.
- Herpes is the phase of clinical manifestations ranges from 8 to 14 days. The reason in this case is the herpes virus. The disease has acute and chronic. Sharp, found in toddlers the first years of life. In most cases, the disease has erased current. Only 20% of children manifested a succession of unpleasant symptoms.
The clinical picture is accompanied by the following symptoms: pain in the mouth, fever, swollen lymph nodes, a manifestation of local foci of infection on the mucosa. The crumbs become Moody and irritable. They refuse to eat, do not sleep. May look drowsy, lethargic. The temperature rises to 38, 5° C and above. In the early days, in the mouth there is soreness and redness of foci of infection. The second phase – the phase of the emergence of bubbles. Is the most unpleasant time. The child’s condition worsens, the temperature rises. The liquid in the bubbles is transparent at first, then it becomes cloudy. Then after 3 to 4 days, the bubbles burst. There was a lot of painful sores. With proper treatment, recovery and the disappearance of stomatitis in a child comes rather quickly.
The symptoms of chronic herpetic infection of the oral cavity do not differ from acute. However, in most cases, they are superficial, erased the character. During human life the disease may never appear, and may be accompanied by his companion and to occur often enough.
- Aphthous. Type of disease carries its manifestations and lasts from 8 to 10 days. Has a bright pronounced picture. Quite common in children of preschool, Junior school age. The maximum recorded in spring and autumn. Manifested by the following symptoms: soreness of the mouth, fever, painful ulcers, swollen lymph nodes. Initially in the mouth appear a little red. They are localized on the tongue, underneath, on the inner sides of the lips, cheeks. In quick time the redness turns into a rather large aftu rounded shape. In most cases it is an isolated, rarely – plural. Education have sizes from 5 to 10 mm. They are very painful when touched.
- Fungal. Inflammation is caused by fungus of the genus candida. The disease often occurs in babies of breastfeeding age. Sometimes she passed the baby at birth from a sick mother. In most cases, inflammation appears when the weakening of the immune system after the disease has manifested. The disease usually occurs without fever. The General condition of the baby does not suffer, lymph nodes not enlarged. The symptoms of stomatitis in children: the appearance of white foci of inflammation in the oral cavity, pain. If untreated, the disease process may affect the entire mucous membrane of the mouth.
Help your child
How to treat stomatitis in children? This question is raised by loving parents.
In order to save the child from troubles, it is necessary to accurately diagnose and causes.
There are General guidelines that must be followed by all parents of affected children:
- A special meal. Food should be below 37 ° C. it is Impossible to give babies solid foods. Crunch dish on the blender or grind on a grater. Solid particles cause mechanical irritation and lead to disease duration. It is prohibited to offer sour, spicy and salty food and drinks. Food should be gentle, but contain all the necessary vitamins;
- Humidified air. Drying of the oral mucosa leads to the weakening of protective forces. During the heating season, be sure to use indoor humidifiers. If the General health of the crumbs is not affected, go for a walk. Ideal if you have the opportunity to walk near a lake, sea, forest strips;
- Intake of vitamins. The drug can be discharged, the pediatrician, after a series of tests. A frequent cause of inflammation can be a vitamin deficiency;
- Common immunomodulators. Apply with recurrent disease. Not prescribed for canker and fungal infections. The drugs of choice include: Immunal, Imudon, Amiksin. Medicinal substances can prescribe a doctor!
- To treat thrush in the mouth can local immunomodulators. Substances contained in some toothpastes, available in the form of tablets for resorption;
- Rinsing of the mouth are one of the main methods of treating sores;
- In children, the treatment is accompanied by antipyretics. They are based on paracetamol and ibuprofen. Apply at temperatures above 38, 5° C.
How to cope with herpes inflammation
The treatment of infantile stomatitis herpetic etiology is: in the treatment of foci of infection, reducing fever, reducing symptoms of intoxication.
- The use of antiviral drugs helps to cope with illness. To the known drugs are: interferon, Acyclovir, Bonafton. Drugs come in different forms and is ideal for children. Viferon for babies available in the form of rectal suppositories. They are used according to the dosage weight baby, two times a day for 7 – 10 days. The gel-based interferon can be applied directly to the mucosa. Treat the affected area every 4 hours. Treatment 7 – 10 days. If the infection spread to the eye, you need to connect to the treatment of drug Ophthalmoferon.
Acyclovir helps to quickly cope with the trouble. The drug acts directly on the virus that disrupts its activity and ability to reproduce. Available in the form of syrup and tablets.
- Rinse. Applied in the preparation Miramistin. Use it 4 times a day. You need to rinse your mouth for 1 minute. Babies spend the wiping area of defeat with a cloth soaked in the solution.
- The use of regenerative and wound healing agents. These include: the drug Kartalin, sea buckthorn oil and rosehip.
- The use of immunostimulatory drugs.
Therapy of aphthous stomatitis
To cure stomatitis in a child who is accompanied by artami, you need to use:
- Anti-allergic agents. This: Fenistil, Suprastin, Tavegil, Zyrtec. Substances are used in order to eliminate the allergic factor in the development of the disease.
- Therapeutic effect: anti-microbial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, regenerating means. They are available in different forms. Used in the form of ointments, gargles, sprays, tablets for sucking. If necessary, are used comprehensively. Known means are: the Taste, Rotokan, Hlorofillipt, Miramistin, spray Propolis, Lugol, Hexetidine, Holisal, Solcoseryl gel, balm of shestakovskoe, Efficient. As you can see, the list of medications is quite broad. Therefore, treatment of stomatitis in young children needs to engage an experienced physician.
Help fungal infections of the oral mucosa
What to do if the cause is a fungus of the genus Candida? To cure the disease will help the following remedies and actions:
- Treatment oral Tetraborate sodium. Means in the people is called «Bura». Wiping is carried out 2 times a day for 7 days
- Antifungal drugs: Nystatin, Fluconazole, perfectly cope with the disease. The dose and duration of treatment determined by the attending physician.
- Children’s stomatitis can be cured perfectly with simple soda rinsing or wiping. To prepare the solution you need 200 ml of boiled warm water and 1 teaspoon soda. Treatment should be carried out every 3 hours.
In the treatment of stomatitis in the mouth it is advisable to apply the above-described antimicrobial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, regenerating means.
The article introduced the reader with an unpleasant disease that is characterized by an inflammatory process in the mucosa of the oral cavity. Described the types and nature of the flow of each of the diseases. This General advice. It became clear that the diagnosis and treatment of stomatitis in children should be done by an experienced dentist or a pediatrician.