Stomatitis in infants: symptoms and treatment photo
Very common stomatitis in infants rather spoils the life as the baby and his parents. So you need to be able to identify the symptoms of the disease and timely treatment. The immature immune system, the constant samples to get acquainted with the world, tasting all around for taste, eternal grab-Sy and kissing loved ones not always bring only positive results. The child suddenly can become very Moody, to refuse eating and drinking, stop sleeping and play.
The reason for all this could serve as a fairly common and unpleasant disease in babies — thrush. Stomatitis is inflammation of the lining of the mouth, which is often located in the area of language, the inner area of the cheeks and gums. The inflamed area may be much swollen, having different redness and small ulcers.
Causes of stomatitis in infants
Why a newborn might suffer from stomatitis? The etiology of this disease calls these main reasons:
- the existence of infection in the body, which is caused by fungi, bacteria or viruses;
- very weak (or simply fragile due to age) the immune system;
- the existence of the baby is more significant diseases: diseases in endocrinology or even HIV;
- long-term treatment;
- poor and neglected oral hygiene of the baby (like brushing teeth), or infrequent washing of the mother’s breast;
- poor handling of bottles of different toys, and nipple of the child.
Dependent on the pathogen and the image of the disease stomatitis can be divided into the following main forms:
- Candida species that causes this type of inflammation is yeast fungi of the genus Candida. They have a huge spread: they can be found on the skin surface in the mouth and even in the gastrointestinal tract of the common people. Because even the most careful hygiene cannot remove a child from such pathogens.
- Herpes type — most often caused by a virus of the ordinary herpes of the first type. It is usually possible to meet among toddlers aged one to three years.
- Allergic or contact — can be caused by a strong irritation in the mucous membrane of various chemical components, or Allergy to certain products. Allergens can also become elements, which are widely used in dentistry, certain components of toothpastes and medicines used for irrigation of the throat.
- Aphthous — an obvious cause of this type still has not been established. It is likely that one can be developed by genetic cause, severe vitamin deficiency, significant emotional upset, exhaustion or because of allergies to specific products.
The emergence of this disease in infants is often accompanied by such signs:
- increased body temperature (up to 38,5–40°C), which most frequently occurs a few days before the occurrence of bubbles and small sores;
- swelling, inflammation and persistent bleeding of the gums;
- little bubbles in your mouth (most often on the tongue, cheeks and the sky, and sometimes in the throat), which over time can burst, forming after yourself a little sores white in color, tinged with red at the edges;
- after removing the plaque gauze may occur bleeding wound;
- strong irritability in the behavior of infants, different moods, very anxious sleep;
- the child may refuse to take food or drink, and also experience severe pain during swallowing;
- strong secretion of saliva;
- unpleasant smell from the mouth.
A disease that affects the lining of the mouth of infants, has the following classification:
- chronic form;
- canker, which is also often a chronic;
- candidal inflammation.
Each type of stomatitis in toddlers can vary symptoms. If you have experienced the early signs of thrush in babies be before you start self-treatment, a consultation with a specialist.
Stomatitis is diagnosed usually on the basis of a detailed examination of the oral cavity. Various types of diseases have its own characteristics, which a pediatrician or children’s dentist will be able to identify the form of the disease and the right direction of treatment.
The doctor can prescribe certain tests, bacterial culture on the flora of diseased areas in order to exclude the presence of other diseases.
Treatment of stomatitis in infants
What better treat this condition in kids? The method of treatment may be determined by the specific cause of the disease. Stomatitis can occur due to severe allergies or any bacteria.
How to correctly treat stomatitis should tell an experienced doctor. Do not trust only my own experience, as well as various advice of others. The main conditions during inflammatory processes in the mucous membrane are:
- sufficient and even excessive drinking;
- a balanced diet (which will not irritate the mucous membranes — warm, grated, not too sweet or salty);
- frequent wet cleaning;
- very careful hygiene in the mouth of the baby and the hygiene of the breast.
- it is also possible and often necessary to sterilize the dishes regularly wash toys.
► When to call the doctor?
Parents should not delay the appeal to the pediatrician if the baby has these symptoms:
- Increased body temperature for a long period of time;
- The constant refusal of food and water;
- Very strong tearfulness;
- The baby is very weak, constantly wants to sleep;
- After 2-3 condition not improving.
How to treat newborn? There are a huge number of drugs that can be divided into drugs to fight viruses and fungi, and preparations for healing and against pain, which are often prescribed in combination.
It so happens that thrush in babies is triggered by the viruses. In such situations, treatment requires the use of different antiviral agents. For infants is ideal, these ointments are:
- Oxolinic ointment, to be applied only on the injured area three times a day.
- Ointment Tebrofenovaya, which is used four times a day.
- Acyclovir which you can use as often as three times a day with an interval of not less than 8 hours.
During treatment, the youngest children you can use are antifungal, which is good to irrigate the main foci of infection twice a day
- A solution of Candida;
- Gel Miramistin;
- Aqueous suspension with levorinom;
- Suspension of nystatin.
The mucosa of the oral cavity in children with stomatitis becomes excessively painful and sensitive. It not only can ruin the mood and condition of the baby, but also to prevent him to eat normally. In order to help the baby, you can use these gels against:
- Kamistad gel, which is applied to the wounded area mucous membrane of the mouth no more often than three times a day. This remedy has a great effect against the pain and germs, and also great reduces inflammation. It can be used for children older than three months. In addition, it has a list of contra-indications (renal or hepatic insufficiency, heart disease).
- Propolis spray is applied to the affected area of the mucosa about 5 hundred times per day.
In order to get rid of sores in your mouth, you should use drugs that are aimed at quick healing of injured areas. For infants it is necessary to use such tools:
- Solcoseryl is a special bonding paste that should be applied to the dried gauze surface, and then gently moisten with water. The paste is used up to 5 times per day after meal, before bedtime.
- Balsam shestakovskoe usually applied to the sores five times a day after meals and at night. The treatment is contraindicated when sensitivity to its components.
► Medications that cannot be applied
Among frequently used to cure stomatitis means there are those who in any case can not be used in infants because of their young age:
- fluconazole (can only be used after a year);
- ledogar (forbidden for kids in principle);
- metrogyl Denta (suitable for children from 6 years);
- holisal (up to a year to use very carefully).
The treatment of this unpleasant disease in infants you can also add different folk remedies.
- Soda solution in babies is used to moisten the skin with a cotton pad.
- Calendula tincture is used to treat the affected area of the baby with gauze.
- Blue or brilliant green cotton swab gently smeared on sores twice a day. This tool will help to quickly get rid of stomatitis.
- Blueberries can be eaten fresh, as well as brewed as a tea.
Video: stomatitis in children — how to recognize and how to treat? Responsible doctor Komarovsky.
To the right measures against the formation of stomatitis include:
- strict adherence to General hygiene (regarding both the baby and mother);
- detailed boiling of utensils and the nipple;
- rational and proper nutrition;
- the boiling of the water that is given to the baby after the feeding (the water needed to wash the remnants of food and to reduce acidity in infants).
Often happens and so that the formation of stomatitis in infants may be associated with contact with other people. Delicate microflora of the child is incredibly responsive to different stimuli. To prevent such a moment, one should simply follow the ordinary rules of interaction with the baby.
- No need to kiss your loved baby lips, nor his mother, nor father, nor relatives, at least during his illness.
- Pacifier as often as possible to wash with water before returning to the baby. The mother should not take a pacifier in the mouth.
- Before you start to feed the child, the chest should be well washed, and the nipple is poorly treated with solution of soda, to prevent any irritation in the mouth in infants.
- An important prevention is and everyday heat treatment bed of the newborn.
If still clear signs of illness has already made itself felt, the need as early as possible to visit a children’s doctor who will indicate the correct and reliable treatment. If the time to identify the disease and begin the correct treatment, you can forget about this problem.
► How long treated?
The duration of stomatitis in toddlers can vary greatly. It depends, as a rule, from the personal characteristics of the individual organism, the level of protection of his immune system and disease. In that situation, if the kid bothers herpetic stomatitis form, without the use of drugs he will be able to recover, in all probability, not earlier than ten days. The right treatment will certainly accelerate the process of recovery.