Swelling after tooth extraction: how long does how to remove?
Some dental procedures are accompanied by displaced injuries of the oral cavity. How long does swelling after tooth removal and how to remove it?
In most cases, swollen gums is the main postoperative problem which causes serious discomfort to the patient.
The main cause of edema is a deep mechanical effect on tissue. Always the tooth removed with root, but with the use of anesthesia, the patient is not experiencing pain. After the extraction the next day, when you restore the sensitivity of the gums swelling up (sometimes as the flux) that can affect the entire face. This change in the tissues is a necessary reaction of the body to injury or the development of complications.
Extensive tissue swelling is often due to superimposed seams after cutting out the ruined molars. If the healing process does not occur purulent abscess it subsides within five days.
When itching swelling it can be triggered by a reaction to injected anesthetic. In most cases it is caused by novocaine, as the active components have a pronounced allergic effect. Immediately after tooth extraction, the swelling quickly spread to the adjacent healthy areas.
Cause delayed edema that occurs within a few days, can become alveolitis. It develops because of the loss of barrier the blood clot protecting the hole from getting nutrients and fluids. It is usually associated with the elimination of the mechanical action, after which begins the inflammatory process.
If surgery was too traumatic, there could be the development of cysts in the gums. The extent of swelling will depend on its size.
The tumor develops as a result of hematoma. Usually the accumulation of blood in the tissue provoked by careless damage to the vessel. If the dentist touches the vessel starts internal bleeding in the gums.
Another cause of swelling and preserve it for a long period is the failure to translate General dentist needed for rehabilitation.
How many days usually lasts a tumor?
It all depends on the age of a patient, the body’s ability to handle injuries, the complexity of the extraction and individual characteristics. In most cases, after tooth extraction, the swelling begins to subside on the third day.
How long does the swelling normally without cases severe surgical interventions? When destroyed the whole base of the tooth and the crown is affected, the swelling is pronounced and persisted up to 7 days. The reason for the tumor in this case become the cut tissue and detachment of the mucous membrane for a better grip of the root.
How long the swelling subsides, if was removed a wisdom tooth went abscess. The accession of infection requires cleaning of the channels. Against the background of constant manipulation of the gums swelling may persist for up to two weeks.
Sometimes the inflammation extends to the eye area that can cause of vision loss. Subscribe to edema additional symptoms in the form of increased temperature and deterioration of health.
How to relieve swelling after tooth extraction?
- Usually swelling pain occur. Them causing tension of the tissue and slight inflammation. The first day it is recommended to take any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent.
- If swollen cheek, a good helping of cold compresses. To do this, take a piece of ice, wrapped in cheesecloth and applied to the affected area. Influence of cold for a long time is not recommended.
- To reduce swelling will help special compositions for rinsing the mouth. In pharmacies sold solutions – Chlorhexidine, Chlorophyllin, Miramistin. You can use a proven home remedy – baking soda and salt.
- If the use of solutions is not suitable, then you can use special gel. Metrodent includes antimicrobial and disinfectant substances. Dual action provides comprehensive treatment and relieves swelling.
- A complication of infection, it is important to take antibiotics. This can be done at home, but only on prescription. The most common antibacterial agent in the dental treatment is Lincomycin. It is actively used in infections of bone, joints and open wounds. Antibiotic used successfully in the treatment of osteomyelitis and other bone lesions.
- Without fear you can use folk remedies in the form of herbs. Self-made special disinfecting fees, including pharmacy chamomile, propolis, calendula, sage and calamus root. These plants contribute to the inhibition of pathogenic microflora, accelerate the removal of edema, and healing of the open wound.
- During the day the patient is advised complete rest, it is better to abandon the heavy physical labor.
- Alcohol use is highly undesirable. Vasodilation activates the blood flow which will increase swelling.
- Excluded from the diet of coarse or solid food, damaging the gums. It needs to be replaced with soups, broths. Particles products must not enter the inflamed area of the gums.
- After a difficult extraction eating is not recommended for several hours.
- Drinking should not be cold, hot or heavy. The best option – warm liquid without the content of fine particles.
- For three days it is not desirable to take a hot bath and do any manipulation, provoking a rush of blood into the vessels. This includes taking drugs that thin the blood.
- Cleaning the mouth should be done very carefully so as not to offend the clot in the hole.
- Do not use mouthwash against the smell. Its components are irritant to act on the healing mucosa.
- Rinsing of the mouth should be done carefully so as not to trigger increased pressure place of an extracted tooth.
- Treatment or removal of other teeth should be not earlier than seven days after another operation.
- We recommend that you stop Smoking tobacco, it is impossible to sharply spit saliva.
- If the doctor had prescribed antibiotics or other drugs, it is impossible to abandon their use.
Video: how to care for the oral cavity after tooth removal.
Failure to comply with the recommendations of the doctor or other factors cause the development of complications.
- Cellulitis — when the disease swells large part of the lower jaw, in the mouth there is the smell and taste of purulent content. An acute abscess is characterized by a sharp jump in temperature and the deterioration of health. The inflammation affects the connective and adipose tissue. When not treated, the abscess extends to the adjacent healthy areas. What to do in this situation? As the abscess develops rapidly, it must be treated with antibiotics. In case of advanced sepsis, surgical intervention and treatment in a hospital.
- Osteomyelitis — affected gingival abscess moves to the nearby bone tissue. This disease is a threat to health and human life. Severe manifestations of pathology cause deformation of the jawbone and tissue destruction. Acute osteomyelitis is characterized by fever, pain in the oral cavity during food intake and the mouth is open. After seeking medical attention is the cleaning and drainage of the cavity in the gum. Antibiotics can be applied directly on the wound or be taken inside. Regular antiseptic action.
- Hematoma — occurs when a blood clot in the gum treatment is performed only surgeon. It will make the cleaning of the hole with a special tool, I put on antiseptic and prescribe a course of antimicrobials. Always perform drainage to remove mucus and blood.
Why is it important to consult a doctor if symptoms started complications? This may prevent a threat to health and to speed up the healing process of the patient.