Teeth cleaning during pregnancy: how to care for your teeth
Teeth cleaning during pregnancy, as oral hygiene, care of teeth and gums in this period plays a very important role. Often due to physical changes that accompany pregnancy, changes occur in the dentition. Caries or inflammation in the oral cavity can cause premature birth or even miscarriage.
Care of teeth during pregnancy: what you should know
Care of teeth during pregnancy is important not only for the woman but also for her unborn child. Development of teeth in the embryo begins at 5-6 week of intrauterine development. Before planning to conceive a child you need to check if the teeth. This is important for the reason that some dental interventions in pregnancy can not be carried out.
«One child costs the mother one tooth». In this proverb there is only a small fraction of the truth. Today the loss of teeth can be effectively prevented. Before planning pregnancy should begin to eat well, take quality vitamin and mineral preparations formulated for women planning pregnancy. The need for calcium (it is important for bones and teeth) during pregnancy increases. Within 9 months the child should receive 30 g of calcium, which it can only provide body mother.
During pregnancy, the most prone to stress:
- Enamel. She suffers from high acidity in saliva that occurs due to hormonal changes.
- Gums. Because of the increased amount of blood in the mother’s body and increase the blood circulation of the gums become more sensitive, which often leads to their bleeding. But it facilitates the entry of infection.
In addition to hormonal changes there are other factors. In tooth decay during pregnancy involves:
- frequent use of sweet and sour products;
- nausea and vomiting — this applies to the 1st trimester; it is recommended to rinse mouth with mouthwash and not brushing, because in the mouth immediately after vomiting there is a large percentage of stomach acid, which contributes to the irritation of tooth enamel;
- lack of oral hygiene.
During pregnancy often occur problems in which the woman neglected to conception. The doctor will check the condition of the teeth and gums, if necessary, prescribe or conduct treatment, will teach you how to care for your teeth during pregnancy.
The basics of dental care
In order to prevent tooth decay, it is important to observe some rules:
- after the consumption of sweets should you brush your teeth, and it is advisable to use a toothpaste with high fluoride content;
- to do cleaning carefully, without haste; quick and careless cleaning causes damage to the gums, and thus creates ideal conditions for the growth of bacteria;
- pregnant women are recommended to use a softer toothbrush than normal, too hard bristles can irritate the gums;
- often to change toothbrushes, as in the old contained germs that thrive;
- during this period, it is recommended to use a refreshing and disinfectant liquid for rinsing the mouth plant based;
- be sure to adhere to the principles of a healthy lifestyle and nutrition.
You should always remember that the expectant mother during pregnancy should not only think about your child, but also on adequate self care. Although dental care is part of the daily hygiene of each person, particular attention should be paid in this period.
The importance of dental care
Expectant mother during a visit to the dentist should obtain information about the extent to which her condition of the mouth affects the body weight at birth and the health of the newborn. Inflammation from the mouth of the mother penetrates into the blood vessels, spreading through the whole body, which hurts her and the fetus.
Important preventive examinations at the dentist, the results of which should be recorded in the exchange map. If necessary, treatment of dental caries best time is the 2nd trimester. In the last trimester of pregnancy dental treatment in the dental chair uncomfortable and less tolerable.
In the 1st trimester of pregnancy, women typically suffer from nausea and vomiting. Frequent vomiting has a negative impact on the condition of the oral cavity. Tooth enamel when it is exposed to influence of gastric acid, which increases the sensitivity and increases the risk of tooth decay.
It is important to know that under the influence of stomach acid softens the enamel and brushing your teeth at the moment, is undesirable because it can cause damage to the enamel structure. After vomiting, immediately rinse mouth with liquid for rinsing the mouth, for example, Oralflux Original® or Oralflux Fresh® with optimal levels of fluoride and xylitol, which counteract the occurrence of dental caries. Teeth cleaning during pregnancy is recommended after 30 minutes after vomiting. Should be cleaned with a soft brush and a suitable fluoridated toothpaste.
In the fight against tooth decay best fit paste comprising:
- fluoride — they have kristalicheskie (action of anti-caries) effect remineralised initial carious lesions of the enamel, reduce tooth sensitivity, prevent the formation of bacteria;
- xylitol is a natural sweetener with antibacterial effect.
Fluoride and xylitol complement each other, preventing the formation of plaque, and significantly counteract tooth decay.
Gums are very important!
During pregnancy in women may increase bleeding gums. Partly responsible for this condition are the changes in the hormonal background, but the main reason is always the presence of plaque. According to experts, gingivitis during pregnancy can cause serious problems, for example, the risk of premature birth. The condition of the gums as the teeth, depends significantly on dental care before pregnancy.
Insufficient care of teeth and gums along with hormonal changes (increased levels of HCG hormone) can lead to increased bleeding gums, to the development of acute inflammation. Bleeding gums often prevents proper cleaning of the teeth. Remember that daily care includes cleaning the teeth at least 2 times a day, rinsing liquids containing fluoride (in case of vomiting), and prophylactic use of interdental filaments.
During pregnancy you can use chewing gum. They can be a suitable Supplement for daily care. However, chewing gum can only use those that do not contain sugar. They increase the production of saliva which cleans the teeth and can quickly balance the pH. With the help of chewing gum containing fluoride and xylitol, suitable toothpaste and liquid mouthwash, a woman can provide effective dental care and prevention during the day.
Herbs for healthy teeth and gums
Sage is used in the production of a liquid for rinsing the mouth, it is one of the most commonly used components. The plant has antiseptic and astringent effect, a beneficial effect on the gums and the entire oral cavity (suitable also for infections and sore throat). Liquid mouthwash can be prepared from either the sage or in combination with other herbs.
Mint is another useful herb that have a positive effect on teeth and gums. Its extract is present in many toothpastes and liquid for rinsing the mouth. You can prepare an infusion or a decoction for mouthwash. The action will strengthen the combination of mint and sage.
Chamomile has astringent and soothing effect, is useful in case of irritation of the gums. Infusion or decoction of chamomile can be used for rinsing the mouth several times a day until the condition of the mucous membrane of the mouth will not improve.
Erect cinquefoil has healing effects. Its application is necessary if a woman suffers from bleeding gums. Decoction Potentilla is best used immediately after brushing.
Agrimony is known for its ability to speed healing and soothe irritated mucous membranes. Its use is not complicated by side effects, so the plant can be used for a long time.
Cloves for toothache
Clove is an excellent natural remedy for toothache in pregnancy, when most painkillers are not recommended. Uses cloves are a few:
- Put a little clove oil directly on the aching tooth. Clove oil has strong antibacterial properties, relieves pain, because since ancient times and is used as a remedy for toothache. In the early nineteenth century, when toothpaste and other dental tools looked like instruments of torture, full help to a dentist was clove oil. Extract from buds of cloves contain eugenol — a substance that acts as a local anesthetic.
- The same analgesic effect can be achieved with the help of whole cloves cloves. Putting a couple of cloves, they need to stretch between patients teeth, to drain the oil. Then the soft cloves will keep for half an hour on a sick place.
Before using herbs to treat and maintain healthy teeth and gums during pregnancy you should consult with your doctor. Some of them may be allergens and is a positive influence can lead to unnecessary problems.