Teething: how to help your child in this situation?
Very reverent and important period of development of the kid when teething. How to help your child in this situation, how to ease his suffering and to expedite care of almost all parents.
The whole family is waiting to see that first tooth. It is a joyful and important event and sometimes even celebrated, and my mother remembers the date of a lifetime. Despite this joy that the child and his parents encounter many experiences and difficulties.
When teeth usually appear?
The dentists emphasize averages of the norms of periodicity and sequence of eruption of deciduous units. But you need to understand that this is not a clear timetable and every child they can dramatically shift in one direction or another. For approximate orientation can be called in the following order:
- The first front teeth, usually the lower appear at the age of 6-9 months.
- The top front incisors may appear immediately after them in 7-10 months.
- This is followed by the second (lateral) incisors, upper and lower – 9-12 months.
- Next we can expect the first molars, top in 12-18 months.
- Lower – 13-19 months. Or just all together.
- Only then will it be fangs. First there are the upper 16-20 months.
- Then lower 17-22 months.
- And at the end of teething appear the second root, the chewing of the unit, the lower 20-33 months.
- And upper – 24-36 months.
As you can see, the numbers are quite blurred. The whole process will depend on many factors that cannot be influenced. It is also the period of pregnancy, her diet at the time and in the process of breastfeeding, the presence of different trace elements in the body of a child, illness, birth complications, genetic predisposition.
Some dentists say that even the polluted air and water quality in a particular area of residence can also play a role in when and how penetrating the teeth of the baby.
Most importantly, insist on what all the doctors without exception – should not artificially try to speed up the process. Don’t put pressure on baby’s gums do not hurt them with various items and even more impossible to make cuts, to «facilitate» the eruption.
And yet, to follow behind it and in cases of any deviations it is advisable to consult a doctor. Even if this version of the rules, to be safe will not be superfluous. So, if you find the following differences, seek the advice of your pediatrician or pediatric dentist:
- If the child has no tooth.
- Also alarming too early in their appearance in 1-2 months.
- In the case when they do not erupt in pairs. The principle of parity should not be disturbed. Always dairy units there are two or four – two upper, two lower, etc. When only one tooth of the pair and already erupt next, it is desirable to understand why it happened.
- Sometimes, though very rarely, that the location or form of the tooth wrong. This is also a reason to be surveyed.
Perhaps, with the health of the child is all right. But such cases reveal violations that may be cause and a consequence of some internal diseases.
How to understand that the child began to erupt teeth?
Not all kids suffer at the appearance of the first tooth. But most kids shows basic signs in this period, which you can guess that their appearance is near:
- Inflammation of the gums, swelling, redness. The child feels significant itching, to relieve which attempts in various ways. Parents notice that the baby starts to bite everything – your fingers, mother’s breast, toys, clothing, bedding, etc. Almost any things that may fall into his hands, immediately sent into the mouth. Thus, the child tries to eliminate the discomfort. Sometimes swelling comes to the appearance of a small hematoma, and may bleed with pressure or chewing, if the soft tissue began to diverge in the place of eruption.
- Behavior changes and moodiness of the baby. Because of unpleasant sensations in the mouth, itching and pain a child does not behave as before. He cries a lot, excitable, refuses to eat or play with toys. Some children become anxious, they have a disturbed nights sleep, they are constantly capricious.
- Fever can also indicate imminent appearance of a new tooth. Usually 37.5-38.5 degrees. To keep it maybe two days, until the tooth. But if the temperature rises to 39 or even 40, and there are also other symptoms, you should consult the doctor as these are signs of a disease.
- In the process of eruption of milk teeth in a child is increased salivation. In addition, you may receive and runny nose. And if it swells back wall mucosa, and secretions too much, the baby will start to cough, which will only intensify in the horizontal position. The mucus in this case must be transparent and liquid. Otherwise, it is a sign of illness, not teething.
- Disorders of the digestive system. In this case, you may encounter a variety of manifestations – from refusal to eat to frequent and liquid stool. Due to the fact that the child is swallowing a lot of saliva, disturbed diet, problems can occur with chair. It is getting more frequent and liquid. It is important to follow this moment, in the faeces did not appear of mucus, bleeding, and he is not changing color to greenish. Prolonged violation be sure to show the child the doctor.
Most of the described situations – normal and popular manifestations of the process of teething. But it is not necessary in the age of the child from six months to three years to write off all only on the teeth.
This period can occur a variety of diseases, disorders, which in any case cannot be ignored. So any increase in temperature or other serious symptoms should go to the pediatrician for a checkup.
How to help your child?
If this is the first small child in the family, many parents are lost in such a situation and do not know how to alleviate the suffering of the baby. After all, look at how he spent his days suffering hard, and I want to do something. In this situation there is little you can change. Most importantly, remember the principle «do no harm». We list the few tools which are available to facilitate the child’s condition:
- Neat light massage gums. Doing it as just clean fingers and special nozzles, which are sold for this purpose in pharmacy. This is not too active to put pressure on the gums or try to mechanically penetrate the lining. These same objectives can be purchased and teethers, which for a start put in the fridge, and then give the child. Not enough to pick up the baby that I chose to massage. Just need to make sure that he didn’t choke on small objects or pieces of food, and do not hurt yourself with something sharp.
- Modern medicine has come up a number of special gels, which act as a local anesthetic. Examples: Holisal, Kamistad Baby. Usually they have benzocaine, lidocaine, or choline salicylate. The effect of such a gel is limited to an hour, but to apply it on the gums the child preferably not more than 3-4 times a day. Doctors and is recommended to use them only in extreme cases and not to overdo it.
- Antipyretics. When the baby fever, or noticeable, that the pain is strong enough, then the pediatrician may prescribe a medication. But liking them is not worth it, and give the child only as directed by your doctor. Data children usually have in their composition a small dose of Paracetamol or Ibuprofen, and contribute not only reduces heat, but also eliminate inflammation and pain.
Nature intended it so that the teething is on their own, without anyone’s help and third-party intervention. It is a natural, though not always a pleasant and relaxing process. The actions of the parents should be limited to only understanding the child’s condition and alertness. It is important not to view this period with no serious violations. It is better to consult doctor once again, than miss the start of the problem.
If any subsidiary actions stick to the main safety recommendations are:
- Do not hurt the mucous so you can get an infection in the tooth is formed.
- Do not make this period in a child’s life some major changes, not to overexcite his mind.
- See what the kid pulls into his mouth. Don’t let him small or sharp objects and clean those things he touches.
- Use enough wipes to meet the basic amount of secreted saliva. Time to wipe the cheeks, mouth and chin, to avoid any rashes because of its abundance and excess of irritation of the skin.
- If you give the child any solid or crumbly foods (biscuit, Apple), then do not leave the child himself. Check that he didn’t choke on small pieces of food.
Another point in this period, to which you should pay special attention to the hygiene of milk teeth. First, with a brush, you can additionally massage the sore area. Second, teach your baby to such procedures since the early days, as he has in his mouth grow teeth.
For a start it could just be a rinse and then a full proper cleaning of the entire oral cavity. Moreover, this process is important in order to preserve the health of the fragile milk teeth, because in children the caries develops much faster.
Try to involve the child in a fun morning the process of the game, pushing into him and clenched mouth with force. Take it with you to the bathroom, the baby watched the process of cleaning teeth parents, and using games you can get and his to open her mouth and do the necessary manipulations.
Choose the brush you need to correct. Its size should match the age of the child, and the bristles to be soft enough. When the child is two years, you can apply the toothpaste to squeeze out of her the size of a pea.
Video: how to help your child with teething?
When my baby grew teeth, I bought a special gel and every time before going to sleep apply it on the gums. The child fell asleep quietly and at night could rest from pain.
I’m one of those moms who strongly oppose the use of any drugs. Child body does not need. Nature has ensured that we have recovered yourself, and especially about such a process as teething.
Before giving anything to the baby, I try everything myself. So you know exactly how to apply these gels. They quickly anesthetized and part of the gum is not even felt. When you see that kid hurt in a place of eruption of tooth, I always use this gel. It is effective and simple to use.