Teething in children: how to help your child
Teething in children is the first test for the baby and parents. The process is accompanied by various unpleasant symptoms, accompanied by increased capriciousness of the baby, insomnia and decreased appetite. The first teeth in babies start appearing from the age of 6 to 9 months may occur at the age of 4-5 months, all individually.
When the first teeth
Teething in children is individual and depends on the following factors:
- how was the pregnancy;
- the environmental conditions in which the child was born and resides;
- the hereditary factors;
- compliance with height and weight age;
- at what age did the closure of the fontanelles;
- as healthy baby from the first days of occurrence, any diseases weaken the body;
- individual distinguishing features of the body.
The majority of children acquire Soi first tooth at 7 months of development, but there are exceptional cases when teething in the early days of development when a child is born with 1-2 teeth.
On average, teething according to the following scheme:
|Age in months from birth||The appearance of the tooth|
|6-9||The cutters the bottom|
|7-10||The incisors of the upper jaw|
|12-24||The fangs of the upper jaw|
|14-26 (2 months after eruption of the upper)||Fangs of the lower jaw|
|12-16||The first mandibular molar|
|20-25||The second molar of the upper jaw|
|13-19||The first painter of the upper jaw|
|20-25||The second painter of the upper jaw|
Do not equate all children under one, the data in the table are indicative only. Even if the child in the first year of life did not appear first teeth, there is no place for panic. Every child is different and teething in infants indicator. When questioned in the proper development and eruption of teeth in infants should consult a dentist for advice.
The first dentition may be delayed in connection with a deviation in development. For example, the delay of the first teeth in infants may occur due to:
- weakened General immunity;
- various endocrine disorders;
- unbalanced diet when breastfeeding or the absence of timely introduction of complementary foods when breast;
- adontia is the absence of germs of the milk teeth, are formed on the 17th week of fetal development.
When teething, the child is not paired, i.e. disturbed the order of their appearance, the baby should also show the dentist. It could be pathology.
The symptoms of teething in infants leave without attention to the difficult. When the tooth is cut, the child becomes irritable, Moody, sleep poorly, it may refuse the breast. The baby will actively tug at his mouth everything what can reach. Syndrome teething is expressed in the local and General symptoms.
The symptoms of teething in toddlers require close attention, because of the weakness of the immune system it can be the early signs of the disease. Especially should pay attention to the period of the quarantine area for infectious diseases.
- High body temperature, increases towards evening;
- Violation of the General well-being, the child becomes lethargic;
- Loss of appetite, the baby may refuse the breast or is sucking worse than usual;
- Amid the General excitement, anxiety disorder sleep.
Described by the pronounced clinical picture unaccompanied by local symptoms, you should contact the pediatrician. If the symptoms last more than 2 days, you should also suspect the beginning of an infection even without any symptoms such as runny nose or cough. In any case in time when the first tooth appears, you should show the baby the doctor.
The symptoms of teething the child is required to appear and locally:
- appears and increases salivation;
- there may be diarrhea, flatulence, frequent burping, in rare cases, vomiting;
- the refusal of the breast;
- first tooth appears in the background of local swelling and redness of the gums;
- pipsqueak all the time sucking on Cam or any item that failed to grasp and to hold on;
- the first teeth are almost always accompanied by a slight runny nose.
The first teeth of the child can be accompanied by a rash on the chin. Before the advent of the first tooth is detected by the parents when feeding with a spoon, for several days before the appearance.
The symptoms of teething are similar to the manifestation of colds
There are signs of teething in children that should be differentiated from symptoms of disease.
- syndrome teething and colds can be accompanied by cough, we should distinguish this feature for the timely provision of necessary aid.
When teething, a large number of saliva which is in runoff at the back of the throat provokes cough. When a child is teething cough rare, moist and manifested in the supine position. Syndrome teething is not accompanied by wheezing in the lungs and the occurrence of dyspnea. If you notice such symptoms, contact the pediatrician for advice for timely identification of diseases of the respiratory system. Knowing the differences in symptoms when teething from a cold, parents will be able to understand how to help the child.
- When teething can cause discharge from the nose. The norm is the presence of a small amount of light, transparent mucus. The child looks normal, the symptoms disappear by the third day from the appearance. The presence of violations of breathing a longer time or change the nature of the secreted exudate tells about the infection of the child and the development of the disease that requires treatment.
- How to help your child when teething is accompanied by fever should be aware of all young parents.
When the temperature rises to 38°C first aid should be methods of wiping. We should not immediately give an antipyretic when the temperature drops well physical factors. To facilitate state kid, it should be well ventilate the room (the child at the time of airing to remove to another), the clothes should be natural fabrics and lightweight, so as not to cause additional overheating. Every 1.5–2 hours to wipe large vessels (neck, back, groin, armpits) soda or alcohol. At night, we recommend setting candles or Nurofen syrup for children, the dosage is age-appropriate. In the absence of the effects of the listed manipulations or high temperature for more than 2 days, you should contact your pediatrician. To avoid colds, and timely treatment when it occurs.
- The symptoms of teething in children can be supplemented with diarrhea. This condition is due to the swallowing of saliva secreted in large quantity. If diarrhea occurs more than 4 times a day and the stool has the added impurities should be suspected intestinal infection and seek help from professionals. Norm is a violation of the intestine within 2-3 days. Chair up to 5 times, without blood, is required. Any violation is cause for concern. Prolonged or severe diarrhea causes the baby’s body to dehydration.
- Vomiting. When you climb the teeth may be single vomiting as a reaction to pain or considerable salivation. Does not require treatment. The repetition of vomiting throughout the day — this is an alarming signal for parents, a symptom of teething in babies is not. Speaks about joining intestinal infections to the weakening of the immune response against the background of teething, or not connected to teething at all.
Signs of teething in infants vary in intensity not only among different children but one toddler with the appearance of each new tooth. Some teeth may appear with the smallest manifestations and does not cause any trouble, others will get worried parents and inconvenience to the baby. To know how to help the child, when you climb the teeth should be attentive to the manifestations of the process. In the absence of significant violations of the process the eruption does not require treatment is a natural process. At the onset of symptoms is treatment directed to their relief.
Teething, how to help your child
The main thing for kid of early age — it is a psychological comfort. Should more attention be given to the child: to wear it on your hand to talk, to play with him. The presence of the mother, her calm voice and caring hands greatly facilitate the child’s condition, allowing him to cope with the first difficulty.
- Food. During the eruption of the first tooth most likely still breastfeeding, it is often applied to the chest, not adhering to the schedule. This will allow your child to eat a full and calm him down.
- At emergence of the first teeth should start to clean them. For this there are special silicone brush on your finger. Toothpaste until 2 years of age do not need.
- Special rubber teethers solve the problem with infection of the oral cavity. Teether easily served processing, it is convenient to keep the kid in handle and helps to accelerate the emergence of the tooth providing a soft massage effect on the gums. There are water and corrugated. Bright colors will help to distract the child from unpleasant symptoms.
- Gum massage. Wash your hands and RUB the gums of the child. You can use honey or medicinal herbs that have antiseptic and analgesic properties.
- Before feeding and sleeping good to use special products for teething, for example, kalgel relieves soreness of the gums that occur while teething. The greatest concern is the appearance of fangs. The most cases, the use of local anesthesia allows the baby to sleep and easily transfer the appearance of the teeth.
- Antipyretic drugs for children of early age are used in the form of syrup, or rectal suppositories. The dosage should be age appropriate. The drugs of choice are the products containing paracetamol and ibuprofen: Nurofen for children, Paracetamol, Ibuprofen. Adult forms is not recommended.
- Decoctions of herbs: chamomile, Melissa, mint, sage. Use for drinking broth, or smeared with gums. For achieving 2 years it is possible to teach the child to rinse the teeth, but not everyone.
- Treatment gum soda solution helps reduce the inflammatory process. To do this, boil water, cool it to body temperature and dissolve 0.5 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. In the received solution moisten a sterile bandage and treating the gums of a blotting movements 3-4 times a day.
- If teething had at the time the vaccination should postpone the vaccination until recovery to good health of the baby.
The actions of the parents
Child under years is completely dependent on his mother, knowing what to do when the baby is teething, the mother will always be able to alleviate a painful process. As young parents to understand that baby teething is described in detail in the symptoms. What to do when teething:
- To monitor the condition of the infant to understand that teething.
- At high temperature, you should restore the body’s natural temperature physical and medical methods.
- When a child climb teeth the symptoms are painful gums disrupt the natural food. You need to reduce the pain, using the tools of traditional and alternative medicine and provide baby food. Breastfeeding during teething often put the baby to the breast. In artificial cooking food a gentle texture and contains a large number of nutrients.
- The process of teething is accompanied by local symptoms: itching and soreness of the gums. Toddler to help are all pulling in the mouth. At this time, it is important to ensure the sterility and cleanliness of the environment of the crumbs that will prevent the development of infection of the oral cavity.
Teething is accompanied by pain syndrome and other disorders of General and local character. only parents can ease the process by providing baby care and symptomatic treatment. In the absence of knowledge about what to do to help the baby, should ask for a consultation with a pediatrician. If you experience symptoms similar to the symptoms of serious diseases should also consult a specialist. Then the process of teething will not be a nightmare.